Do i need approval?

Hi guys

We want to rebuild a wall thats falling down and install a double roller door instead of the existing single one. I assume we will need approval. We also want to change the gutter to allow for the 2nd car to get in.

This is for the rear of a place, that has lane access for 2 cars but currently uses a single roller door.

What would be required?

Thanks
kris

Not sure.

But.

We went and had a chat with a building designer we know. Asked him about changing a few things around our house and the response was:
"Anything under the main roof you can almost do what ever you want, building a new structure outside free standing or attached to house depending on size requires council approval."

I guess it depends on the council, give them a call and ask if you need approval to make the changes. It might be nice and easy, pleasant surprise that would be.

Cheers
Graeme

if your extending any roof or creating a structure thats not under the current roof you WILL need approval.
other wise you shouldnt have a problem

speak to a Private Certifying Authority; it may be considered Complying Developement therefore no approvals required.

"Anything under the main roof you can almost do what ever you want, building a new structure outside free standing or attached to house depending on size requires council approval."

We are currently building a new ensuite. there are no changes to the outside structure of the house at all, but it is an additional room. We had 3 quotes from builders, and all of them said the same as above BUT

1 week into the build, we had a visit from our friendly neighbourhood council building inspector, from Baulkham Hills Council, who said we needed council approval to build an additional bathroom. Apparently one of our neighbours had dobbed us in!!! I think there was probably some concern because we needed to repair some termite damage in the roof while we were building, so we had a tarp on our roof. So, it probably looked like we were extending.
Our builder called him the following day, and they agreed to waive the approval, which I guess means that most people don't get approval.... but it could have been a very unhappy story for us. When my husband spoke to the building inspector, he said he had rapped the builders knuckles for not getting approval.

The bathroom is nearly finished now!! Yippee!!
Pen

If it's a repair you should not need approval.

An extra bathroom is a different story.

Myself a builder..lol would not bother the council as half the time they have no clue what existed in the first place. But I'm sure they will be happy to charge you some BS fee if you ask.

If you are putting in a roller door make it a large double door , not two singles just to be safe!

Back