Do I need council permit?

Hi all,

my parents are planning some renovations to freshen up their shop in inner Melb. its long overdue...

it mainly consists of removal 1-2 internal walls and moving the toilet to the back room (ie, new plumbing), some new flooring, and some cosmetic stuff.

they commissioned a local builder and were happy with their quotes so far.
it will take approx 4 weeks, and they need to get a large skip parked on the side road (low traffic side street).

the only "major" work they are planning on the external is "moving" the back door about 2metres to the right so they have back access to the office area.

But they are not sure whether they need council permit/permission to commence the work??

I thought if it's internal work, then no council permit is needed for the work. the external appearance will be 100% unaltered.

but I am not sure if permit is needed for parking the skip (for ~1wk) and also moving the back office door (which involves some brick work and obviously interruptions to the foot path on the side street). but its a laneway that has almost no foot traffic....

many thanks. ;)

Rules may be different for your area, but a skip on a footpath/road would definitely need council approval I would think.

If you're altering or removing any load bearing wall or lintel you need a building permit. It doesn't matter whether it is internal or external. So you should discuss it with your builder and see if such changes are going to occur.

If you need a permit and don't get one, in fact the builder should, then the penalties are very large.... Proceed with caution.

Back