Do I NEED to replace this kitchen?

Hi all

just wondering if you think I ought/absolutely need to replace this kitchen.

Was thinking of going cheap a** and just paint the existing cabinets/add new handles (leaving the benchtop...I like the funky green). Was also planning to bolster it with a bit more overhead cabinetry from Bunnings.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 348
I guess it depends a bit on what you're competing against & if you think it will impact your ability to get tenants in. It's definitely going to negatively impact the rent you obtain. What else are you planning on doing to the house?

It's woefully small, the colours clash horribly there appears to be lots of under-utilised space. I would think that most people would walk in, turn around and walk out unless the house happens to be in a fantastic location and it's the cheapest on the market to rent.

So, uh, yep, get rid of it!!

Am planning to remove carpet/polish the floors, paint the house, resurface/respray the bathroom.

Replacing the kitchen, given the cost of doing so, would justify reconfiguring the house slightly and that will add more to the cost unfortunately. I think its really a case of all or nothing. Going in between and replacing the kitchen but leaving it where it is won't maximise the value of the reno.

What are your future plans for the house?

If you're going to rent it for 12 months then knock it down, I'd say just tart it up a bit.

If this is a long term keep - then bite the bullet, get yourself some Bunnings flatpaks and replace the whole thing ... it's goodam awful and unfunctional in it's current state.

Bathrooms and kitchens sell/rent houses.

Am planning to remove carpet/polish the floors, paint the house, resurface/respray the bathroom.

Replacing the kitchen, given the cost of doing so, would justify reconfiguring the house slightly and that will add more to the cost unfortunately. I think its really a case of all or nothing. Going in between and replacing the kitchen but leaving it where it is won't maximise the value of the reno.

Not necessarily, you could do an l shaped kitchen in the existing location and keep the plumbing where it currently is so the cost is minimal but without knowing the floor plan and your plans for the property it's hard to say

Is this a long term hold? If yes spend the money now and do it right. Looks like that house need a lot of work.

Thanks everyone.

I've done this sort of reno multiple times now. Only problem is this reno is interstate and from past experience, always get ripped about 30% more than renos I do locally, specifically if I start messing with plumbing, walls, bathrooms and kitchens. I can 'control' painters and floor sanders, even handymen...but the moment the gig involves carpenters/plumbers/tilers/electricians, when not managed locally, is when the costs spiral. We're only talking about a $40pw difference in rent between a fullish reno (circa $25K) vs a cursory cosmetic reno (circa $11K). My gut is telling me go cheap - I've more than often regretted 'doing it right' after the fact.

OK have thought about it a bit. Despite the (very) sensible advice given by everyone re: the kitchen, I'm leaning towards spraying the cabinets and tiles, getting the handyman to put up a couple of sets of overhead cabinetry and a pantry, and trying to get a freestanding island with/without cabinets on the cheap via gumtree/ebay. That should add bulk to the kitchen. Once I paint the house and polish the boards and remove the lino, it will look better. The crap looking kitchen will look almost presentable.

It'll probably look something like this once I finish. Still a crap, under equipped kitchen but somehow passable.

Attachments

• kitchen example.jpg
    kitchen example.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 186
Go with your gut feeling, 'necessity is the mother of invention.' You will find great creative solutions that look stylish and appealing and cost next to nothing and you have the past experience to back it up! Show us your finished pictures :)

Good luck!

Paint, new handles, island bench. ..winner :) love the green. It's so bad it's good.

Without the pink paint and the ugly floor and tiles it will come up a lot more nuetral.

I think the addition of an island/galley bench will increase the bench space and make it a lot more practical.

Thanks everyone.

I've done this sort of reno multiple times now. Only problem is this reno is interstate and from past experience, always get ripped about 30% more than renos I do locally, specifically if I start messing with plumbing, walls, bathrooms and kitchens. I can 'control' painters and floor sanders, even handymen...but the moment the gig involves carpenters/plumbers/tilers/electricians, when not managed locally, is when the costs spiral. We're only talking about a $40pw difference in rent between a fullish reno (circa $25K) vs a cursory cosmetic reno (circa $11K). My gut is telling me go cheap - I've more than often regretted 'doing it right' after the fact.

OK have thought about it a bit. Despite the (very) sensible advice given by everyone re: the kitchen, I'm leaning towards spraying the cabinets and tiles, getting the handyman to put up a couple of sets of overhead cabinetry and a pantry, and trying to get a freestanding island with/without cabinets on the cheap via gumtree/ebay. That should add bulk to the kitchen. Once I paint the house and polish the boards and remove the lino, it will look better. The crap looking kitchen will look almost presentable.

It'll probably look something like this once I finish. Still a crap, under equipped kitchen but somehow passable.

What kind of shape are the carcass and doors in? That would be my first concern, as the $$$ spent on paint may be a waste if the laminate or masonite are in poor shape....

What kind of shape are the carcass and doors in? That would be my first concern, as the $$$ spent on paint may be a waste if the laminate or masonite are in poor shape....

Thanks all.

Yes Jacque good question, and its one that will determine whether I spend hundreds vs thousands on that kitchen.

Only problem is....I bought this at auction sight unseen. So a lot will come down to luck and I'll soon find out. Anyway, I'll try and update the forum via after photos.

Some before shots attached - as you can see, your typical deceased estate. Also updated the before and proposed (after) floorplan. Am trying to make this house a 4 bedder, albeit compact one. If I was trying to do it properly, I'd prob reconfigure but am trying my damndest to avoid opening up a can of worms.

Attachments

• family room.jpg
    family room.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 143
  • bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 140
  • floorplan.jpg
    floorplan.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 114
  • floorplan - proposed.jpg
    floorplan - proposed.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 117
  • bedroom.jpg
    bedroom.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 96
Surely the whole house needs an update. That bathroom is extremely dated. I don't want to think about what kind of creature tenant the house will attract in the state it is. :eek:

Would it be better to have the new room next to kitchen instead?
Open up the entry to kitchen, making the living area kind of separate but still open plan?

Edit: and 'delete' that heater from the house

retry.png

Green bathroom... my eyes hurt :p

Where is Depreciator? I luuurrrv those colours. Make sure you get Jamiroquai in to shoot his latest music clip before the demo. Retro pink and green ski jump suits and jazzfunktechno to match that kitchen.

Or, to provide a short answer to the OP, yes.

Without the pink paint and the ugly floor and tiles it will come up a lot more nuetral.

I think the addition of an island/galley bench will increase the bench space and make it a lot more practical.

The added benefit of this is that it will also hide the existing cabinets - double bonus.

Back