Do Not Call Register

Prior to being listed on the govt's do not call register it was very rare that I got a call from a spruiker or fund raiser.

Coincidence I hope, but since I registered my phones on the govt's do not call register I have had a flurry of calls from charities. Had another this am from a charity.

I support a number of charities but I do not want calls from them or (shudder) politicians.

Maybe June just before end of financial year is a favourite time for charities to drum up business. Bonus for you is if your donation is tax deductable. :)

Would be cynical to imagine them using the DNCR to get numbers from ... wouldn't it?

i think the only thing saving you from that is the cost involved in an organisation company checking the numbers. you cant just get a list of numbers from them...you have to supply the list of numbers you are intending to call and see if they are registered against the DNC database - Its free upto 500 individual number checks per annual licence, then you get charged...its not a huge amount, but then again who wants to pay??

Last edited:
I know charities are exempt and that is why I saw a coincidence with registering. It is most likely a coincidence.

Where I am getting the calls is on a couple of mobiles I listed on the register. Have had these mob numbers for years and never had a cold call from a spruiker or charity

We have never had a call from any spruiker's or charities in the last 10 year's though the bank's we have loan's with call every 6 mth's re: life insurance.

Get a silent number, they seem to work.

BB

This was discussed recently on tripleJ's morning show, they had a heap of people saying the same thing.
It may be that charities, pollies and market surveyors are using the DNC list as a free list:eek: . i don't think this is a coincidence, and as such, have not put my name on the DNC list.
cheers,
ShaunW

I registered with DNC and then talked to my sister about it and she said that charities are actually supplied the list and that she was not going to register because she was afraid of the very thing you guys are talking about.

But in saying that I have not received any calls from charities yet but I did get one from Foxtel. :mad:

Will it stop all telemarketing calls?

Registering your telephone number on the Do Not Call Register will not stop all telemarketing calls to your number. There are some exemptions which enable certain public interest organisations to make telemarketing calls. Exempt organisations include charities, religious organisations and registered political parties. You can also still receive calls from market researchers.
https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

This was discussed recently on tripleJ's morning show, they had a heap of people saying the same thing.
It may be that charities, pollies and market surveyors are using the DNC list as a free list:eek: . i don't think this is a coincidence, and as such, have not put my name on the DNC list.
cheers,
ShaunW

at the risk of repeating myself - companies/charities etc are not able to use the "list" as a free list to obtain numbers. anyone making telemarketing calls must now give the list of numbers they intend to ring to the DNC who will then return to them a list of the phone numers that DO NOT APPEAR on the register. there is no way of obtaining a copy of the numbers in the register without querying every phone number in the country - and querying the list is only free to the first 500 numbers - after that it costs!!!!!

charities and the like are exempt - they wont need to check the list - all your numbers are already available from a number of sources such as IPND, RPDATA (yes i know its a breach of the privacy act but people still use it), directory disks, and the old greypages.

as sailor said - it will not stop calls from exempt organisations but it should stop the indian call centre from trying to sell you a new mortgage/phone/insurance etc..

A way to get around it is get caller ID activated.

Call centres, be it charities or what ever will generally have private numbers.

As a rule my wife and I will not answer these calls. If someone does want us they will leave a message and we will call back when we are good and ready, if not it just rings out.

We have told friends that have private numbers so they know we are not being rude, just filtering.

People are always so hung up answering phones etc. If the phone rings you don't have to answer it. If you do get a call from a call centre just hang up right away, problem solved.

If you do get a call from a call centre just hang up right away, problem solved.

I prefer to play with them for a while.....

"Can I please get a return number to call you back at a time that is inconvenient for you?"

"Can you please hold on a minute while I wipe my ****....... (then never go back)" :D

I haven't had any telemarketers call me for a while, so maybe that is the secret? ;)

A way to get around it is get caller ID activated.

Call centres, be it charities or what ever will generally have private numbers.

In accordance with the requirements of the legislation the ACMA has established an industry standard to govern telemarketing and research calls. The standard provides a minimum set of requirements including information that must be provided to the recipient of the calls and it requires callers to enable calling line identification.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

I just registered last week. Then got a call on Friday from a sales person. Gosh...wish it took less than the 30 days to get the thing up and running.:(

what went wrong?

I listed on the Do Not Call register.
Then I received FOUR calls in TWO consecutive days from the same company (overseas) trying to sell me a mobile phone. How come?

I registered our home phone but never have a problem with telemarketers anyway (door-to-door salesmen are another issue though).

I just have an answering machine and let all calls go to that. If the person leaving a message is someone I recognise, I'll pick up and talk to them, otherwise not.

Most calls are for the kids these days anyway, and they can learn to handle telemarketers however they want to. Trouble is, if I'm home, they tend to walk up with the phone and say in a loud voice "There's a guy from XYZ wants to talk to you about our phone account..." :rolleyes:

GP

Back