do the greens need a lesson in economics? news.com.au article

The general idea that landlords are dodgy is offensive,it's a simple agreement between two parties and both need to do the right thing. I wouldn't care if rent increases were linked to inflation but saying that current legislation greatly favours landlords is simply incorrect.

This is how the Swiss system works, my rent there only went up once in 10 years. Landlords have to document justification for the increase. Similarly tenants can apply for rent reduction if interest rates go down and by law the landlord must comply.

Don't worry about economics per se

It's importnt that we wash out and bring out what look like unreasonable things from what looks like unreasonable people.

one of the primary ways we do get societal progress.....

However this particular case, a simple q for the proposer would be to ask them what the collateral damage would be ?

Have we actually followed through the modelling of the Middle term outcomes.

Would it make things for tenants better or subtstantially worse ?

It's changing, but Sydney as an example is still an owners market predominantly. Hence a tennnant competes with a home owner for the same space. Euro models are generally opposite with approx 30 % of places being owned and 70 rented from private owners various foundations and giv institutions.

It makes sense then that the tennant has better position

Sydney is pressing the tennant to owner ratio and will likley progressively move more toward euro norms over s generation or 3 despite what government interference there may be .

Ta

R

While we are at it lets fix the prices of food, petrol, clothing, utilities, plumbers and electricians etc.

Letting greedy stores and suppliers set the prices for their goods is screwing consumers and hurting the economy and making me poor.

It seems to me that if the goal is affordable housing, then it's far better to address the underlying issue of inadequate new housing, and campaign for higher density and easier infill development, better sharing of infrastructure charges across the populace, reform building controls to allow cheaper construction methods, etc., than to artificially suppress the cost of existing stock.

Yes, I read this the other day and the first thing I thought was stop taxing the **** out of us and perhaps some pressure may come off the rental market, but knowing me that's ******** because I want the best return I can get on my investment, and when I can increase the rent I will, and when I need to drop it to attract a tenant I will - supply and demand, however there is always someone who thinks there's a better way and the greedy landlord is the key.

I overheard a tenant discussing his landlord the other day and how he was so tight he painted the bath instead of replacing. Having a unit within the property I understand the logic of the landlord and could be sure that if I had said to the tenant, 'did you let the landlord know that you would pay more rent for a new bathroom?' That he would have said I was crazy to suggest the idea.

The same tenant went on about how the rent kept going up and the landlord did nothing to deserve the increase (apart from painting the bath I guess). Again if asked if he had received a pay increase since he started work (if he worked) then he would answer yes, yet there is not expectation that additional output is required to receive the extra pay.

The affordable housing solution is simple, the government can buy out all the privately owned residential rental properties from all the greedy, unscrupulous landlords (at current fair value) and become solely responsibile for providing and managing all residential rental properties in the market.

All tenants would be means tested and rents set accordingly. Obviously if they can afford it tenants would be expected to pay higher than their current rent to offset the impact on the disadvantaged.

Tenants would be granted quasi-ownership rights, which would prevent them from being relocated.

If the government landlord wished to undertake improvements at the property all out of pocket expenses relating to temporary relocation, in a quality hotel, would be paid with other options for compensation being made available should the tenant deem that they have been disadvantaged.

If a property is not made available within the area prescribed by the would be tenant then temporary accommodation will be provided until a permanent home is made available. The would be tenant would of course be entitled to an additional allowance.

To make up for the loss of income from land tax the state will impose a pole tax which everyone will have to pay unless they are in government provided housing, and those rich people who own their own homes will finally pay their way.

The world would be a much better and fairer place the quicker we get rid of those greedy parasitic landlords who suck the life out of the poor and disadvantaged.

Regards

Andrew

PS. Hope the greens don't steal my ideas...

I don't see a problem with rent levels anywhere.

I have experienced periods of no rental growth and some good rental growth.

Our last and only IP currently has a tenant which is paying less than the previous one was - we had to reduce the rent.

That's supply and demand.

It is very unusual for a City property to have a rent return that is any good. They are generally shidd-house; only the agents think they are ever any good.

Since this is the case, if it weren't for NG and other tax deductions on IP's (which the Gubb allow), there would be either no property investors, which would cause rents to be forced up due to much more limited supply, or the rents would be even higher due to investors trying to get a half decent return on their outlay..or both..

I think renters should pull their heads in.

Rent has been too expensive forever. Why? Because many folks who rent aren't in a position to buy - they have no money, and are saving for the first joint.

Welcome to the Planet.

It's not our fault they can't afford the Taj Mahal in Chapel st right next to the coolest cafe and the express train to the CBD.

Suck it up and lower yer expectations and live in a shiiddbox like every other generation has had to.

The Greens are a pack of left tree-hugging, rich person hating hand-holders who wouldn't know if their @rse was on the endangered list.

Of course; while every Pollie jumps on the bandwagon of affordable housing for everyone; not one has ever come forward and admitted that a huge chunk of any property's existence and sale transactions involves masses of Gubb fees and GST.

I've never heard one of these fuggwits ever say they should cut the fees associated with building/buying a property.

I don't know where this "all Europeans rent" thing comes from.

If you look at a list of property ownership rates then most European countries are actually above Australia. France, Denmark and the UK are at, or slightly below, the level here. It's only Germany, Austria and Switzerland where ownership is significantly down.

Germany has got far stricter laws governing tenancies than Australia has, or the Greens are proposing, and a far larger rental sector. Go figure... :D

The Extreme Greens = Evil.

That party is a lost cause.

there are some good greens members, the problem is the party is often dominated by people who live in another reality where practicality has no place.

they also know they will never be in power so can promise the world as theyll never have to actually deliver.

there are some good members though, scott ludlam often talks sense although i obviously dont agree with everything he says.

if we dont judge the libs based on some of their lunatics like cory bernardi or luke simpkins then i guess we shouldnt judge all greens the same either

i think theyre often a nuisance but probably a necessary one as a counterpoint to our 2 useless major parties

1) rental homes are the 'transition' between state housing and home ownership - this is every govt's official position.

2) ideas like this are floated around all the time - the minute they land in front of anyone with any kind of economics degree, life experience or property ownership - it gets squashed.

3) the neg gearing debate has been and gone and been and gone and been and gone for this exact reason.

4) if rolf is right, then EU levels of owner/renter balance could indeed spell a US-style rent control.

5) now stop feeding the trolls.

All workers have the same rights as everyone else. The right to work hard, study and improve their lot in life. There are far too many examples of people who started with nothing, who through hard effort and self improvement made their lives a lot better. Delayed gratification and self sacrifice is required unfortunately.

Out of all the crappy political parties (and they all are), this is my favorite one. They've got some stupid policies, but I believe that trying to limit climate change is the most important issue for humanity in our generation.
Future generations will look at climate change deniers like we do at people that were for racial segregation now.

All workers have the same rights as everyone else. The right to work hard, study and improve their lot in life. There are far too many examples of people who started with nothing, who through hard effort and self improvement made their lives a lot better. Delayed gratification and self sacrifice is required unfortunately.

So there are no people who work hard and are poor? There are no people who through circumstances beyond their control are still poor?

Mahatma Gandhi said that "the true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members." Not everyone can pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.

Back