Votes: 39 25.5%
  • I drink a little on social occasions but dont get drunk

Votes: 45 29.4%
  • I drink a few but avoid getting drunk

Votes: 31 20.3%
  • I enjoy drinking alcohol and getting drunk

Votes: 38 24.8%

• Total voters
I rarely drink. But if I do drink, I drink to get drunk.

I am a binge drinker. I cant see the point in having 1 drink. I might as well have a cordial if I am thirsty.

Vodka is my chosen drop.

Love a good red, and drink a light beer when it's hot.

But it's not something I need. Sometimes I go for weeks at a time without any, and don't miss it.

Being 5' 3" and only 52kg, alcohol really affects me, so I usually keep it to under a carton a night.

On weekends however, I normally get stuck right in with me mates.

You get a good discount buying it in by the pallet.

Some say that real estate is all about location, we know that is only part of the story. I have to drive past Dan Murphey's on my way home from work every afternoon, and recently a nice company built Australia's largest hotel at the end of my street, five minute's walk away. Can anyone beat that location?

Did a bit when i was 18/19, but then was in a long-term relationship for over 4 years which basically stopped my drinking. When that ended at the start of this year, boy there were stories to be told... Woke up at the Brisbane Airport when holidaying in the Gold Coast with a friend! Thats an example of one.

Back training again and over that silly little period, been i think 3 months since ive had a drop.

I occasionally drink the odd pint of beer and other similar types of alcohol, but I can't say that I'm a particularly big drinker honestly.

Reminds me of that thread "What bra size are you?" Didn't respond to that one either.

Anyone game enough to ask "Does size matter?" Not me.

Wonder if the stats on ss would be similar on other forums?

Looks like 80% dont drink and 20% do.

This forum doesnt have many members or get much traffic so I reckon the results are skewed compared to the general community or if the poll was run on other forums. Most here would also be middle aged, straight and conservative which is reflected in the results.
Elsewhere I think it would be closer to 60/40 instead of 80/20.

Last edited:
Most here would also be middle aged, straight and conservative which is reflected in the results.

Turn it up, there are a bunch of us on here who are young, footloose and fancy free, gay as a picnic basket and ideologically left of the Greens.

We're not all neo-Orwellian post apopletic Machiavellian cohorts...sheesh.

Looks like 80% dont drink and 20% do.

That's not what your poll shows.

29 % don't drink and the remaining 71 % (as at current posting) imbibe in varying measures according to the poll choices available.

This forum doesnt have many members or get much traffic so I reckon the results are skewed compared to the general community or if the poll was run on other forums. Most here would also be middle aged, straight and conservative which is reflected in the results.

What results were you expecting?

There are a bunch of us on here who are young, footloose and fancy free, gay as a picnic basket and ideologically left of the Greens.
We're not all neo-Orwellian post apopletic Machiavellian cohorts...sheesh.

Turn it up, looks like a Liberal party convention being held here.

What results were you expecting?

Similar to the general community, probably closer to 60/40.
The results show 80% dont get drunk and a couple of social drinks avoiding intoxication dont really count. But its a small forum with lots of old people and less than 100 votes.
It would be good to see if the 20% who enjoy getting drunk have a higher net wealth than the 80% who dont get drunk (the old 80/20 rule).

What are we defining as being "drunk"?

If you use the 0.08 BAC level then even a two/three might just put you into that category.

Turn it up, looks like a Liberal party convention being held here.

Similar to the general community, probably closer to 60/40.
The results show 80% dont get drunk and a couple of social drinks avoiding intoxication dont really count. But its a small forum with lots of old people and less than 100 votes.

OK. I was confused because you actually said............."Looks like 80% dont drink and 20% do................" from Post 31 here:

http://somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=941393&postcount=31

when what you meant to say is they don't get drunk, not that they don't drink alcohol.

It would be good to see if the 20% who enjoy getting drunk have a higher net wealth than the 80% who dont get drunk (the old 80/20 rule).

Perhaps a better cohort may be found outside watering holes at Happy Hour :)

I’m not sure about this forum, but for the overall population it’s quite the opposite.

A few months back I was reading some articles re the claims that a drink a day is good for us and, statistically speaking, results in a longer life expectancy.

What I realised is that whilst there is definitely a correlation between moderate drinking and better health, causation has never been established. The statistics don’t take into consideration that those who drink moderately a more likely to do everything in moderation (eat in moderation, exercise, not smoke, etc..), are statistically financially better off and have better access to healthcare than those who either abstain or drink heavily. Moderate drinkers are the stable in-betweeners flanked on either side by extremes.

Obviously, moderate drinkers will have better health than heavy drinkers. Moderate drinkers are also socioeconomically better off and tend to have overall healthier lifestyles.

What’s interesting is that abstainers tend to be another extreme. They’re socioeconomically worse off than moderate drinkers and are more likely to have health issues (in some cases, leading them to abstain in the first place). They’re also more likely to be former alcoholics or former heavy drinkers than moderate drinkers (for many alcoholics and heavy drinkers, it’s easier to quit entirely than to cut down).

Anyway, after reading more about it, I’m sceptical of the claims that a drink or two a day is ‘healthy’. It’s more likely that the overall better lifestyles of moderate drinkers is responsible for their better health.

So, getting back to your post, moderate drinkers on average have a higher net worth than heavy drinkers or abstainers.

Last edited:
Reactions: weg
I used to get plastered every weekend. Then the mrs got pregnant and I went cold turkey. Didn't mind not drinking but being out with friends they would always pressure you to. I drink now but only mid strength beer - maybe have 2-3 on a fri/sat night

Back