Domain Name Hosters

Not sure what the headline of this topic should have been, but there it is.
Hopefully someone here has experienced similar and has a solution.
I'm not web site savvy but am learning.

Have a domain name that was originally bought and parked at Network Solutions.
After purchasing, I soon realised that they weren't the best company to use and tried to transfer it. I personally couldn't do it and asked local ISP and Hosting companies if they could. No luck. Suggested to me by others to let it lapse and re purchase through a better company such as Go Daddy.
Wasn't game to let it lapse as the domain name is already on printed product.

A couple of years ago the company, Network Solutions, became Verisign, but is now back to Network Solutions.I tried again when it changed to Verisign, but no again. Bunch of crooks.

Network Solutions offer web page sites etc but there is no way i want to have anything to do with a company like that.

Only want to have a simple one page site so as to direct customers to nearest distributors etc

Was going to post this in a current thread but didn't want to hijack
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19129

Would love to finally get this sorted out and after reading the other thread go with a company such as Quadra.

thanks in anticipation :)

A86

You need to get it transferred to another registrar. This isn't difficult and most registrars will gladly help you through it (they get to charge you ongoing fees.)

FWIW, I've had good experience with Digitalis. They are reasonably priced at $22AUD a year for a .com domain.

Also, a fellow forumite muppie runs a web hosting company Quadra. I'm sure he'd love to help you out.

andy

A86,

On this topic I am as ignorant as apples (Chinese saying, not a Mac reference) and so the following may be complete garbage.

How about you DON'T let your sitename lapse and buy it off someone else (e.g. Quadra) for $1 after showing you already own the rights to it. Then get Quadra to host you. Just a thought.

Edit: On second thoughts go with Andy who posted a millisecond before I did.

Last edited:
Email GoDaddy and ask them for help in transferring the domain - they'd love to help you switch to them ! I'm sure they've had plenty of experience dealing with the companies you mentioned too.

I use GoDaddy for my .com, .net, .org, .biz, .name, and .info domains, and I use NetRegistry for my .com.au and .net.au domains.

Agree with Sim. I use Godaddy as my domian registrar and have found them to be OK. Well priced at only USD7.95 for a new domain or a transfer.

It probably doesn't really matter who you REGISTER the domain with, but I would recommend that you have the domain HOSTED in Oz. Overseas hosting is probably cheaper - especially in the US - but the drawback is that they usually undertake server maintenance after hours their time, which is during business hours our time. Not an ideal scenario for those of us who expect and rely on uninterrupted email service during the day :(

I use smartyhost.com.au for my hosting, but I probably wouldn't recommend them (service ain't the best).

Ad(ios).

Thanks for all the replies/ suggestions. Starting to make sense now.

Fortunately, it seems like none of you have had any personal experience with Network Solutions / Verisign.

Annual fee with Network Solutions runs out in June so in next couple of months I’ll retry transferring to Go Daddy.

Last time tried needed to ring Network Solutions but was only an American 1800 number which you couldn’t dial from here. They aren’t stupid this mob.

Then if that’s successful, I’ll try using an Aust Host as suggested , probably Quadra.

Thanks.

A86

agent 86 said:
Then if that’s successful, I’ll try using an Aust Host as suggested , probably Quadra.

Thanks.

A86

Ive been using QuadraHosting for about a year, 3 or 4 sites during that period, and have found them better than any Ive used before. Reasonably priced, great user interface and top notch customer service.

Plus, Muppie is always in the Somersoft chatroom if you need to ask him something :D

Jamie.

Last edited:
Hi agent86, I would recommend if you want to transfer the registrar, to do it _now_. Definitely don't wait until it's close to the renewal time because more often than not you won't be able to transfer it.

I've registered domain names with them a long time ago when they were the only company to do it (was a monopoly back then). We have a few customers using them still. They are quite ok and should be quite professional.

As for ringing 1800 number in usa, you can do so by getting an account at fwd.pulver.com (free world dialup). You'll get a software from xten (free) and you can call 1800 numbers for free using your microphone and headphone (or a headset). Just dial *1800xxx (I think).

I used this method albeit a bit more advanced (I use a normal cordless phone so it feels like a real phone) - but still through fwd for 1800 numbers in usa.

Last edited:
Back