Dont you just hate that?

stop losses

How do people work out at what point to place a stop loss?
I guess it depends on how volatile the share price is so you don't get shaken out too easily?
Do you work usually work it out as a percentage or based on $ profit?

And shuggy, you could have made a lazy $1320 yesterday by lunchtime with MCC. Did you sell?

Na i didn't sell but i did set up a stop loss last night at 9.05.
Hopefully it won't get triggered and i can ratchet it up if the share price continues to do well ... i'm not greedy :)

How do people work out at what point to place a stop loss?
I guess it depends on how volatile the share price is so you don't get shaken out too easily?
Do you work usually work it out as a percentage or based on $ profit?

Doh!! I just had a stop loss trigger fired on RHG but i did ok out of it :)

You just got stopped out of MCC as well unless you changed it. You keep em pretty tight.

double doh!!
yeah i just got out of MCC as well at 9.05.
It sounds like there's no science to stop losses and you just put in whatever seems to feel right.

MCC went down to $8.90 this morning and now its on its way back up a bit. Just passed $9.10.

Mate they are fundamentally great companies so i hang on a bit. Today its just the overall market is negative, not the specific company(s).

SEK is on a great run this morning. Up 8.2%. I might sell out for a good earn. That's one of my other 'in and out' favorites. Its just keeps giving. :)

double doh!!
yeah i just got out of MCC as well at 9.05.
It sounds like there's no science to stop losses and you just put in whatever seems to feel right.

SEK is on a great run this morning. Up 8.2%. I might sell out for a good earn. That's one of my other 'in and out' favorites. Its just keeps giving. :)

evand, when you say 'in and out' what sort of time frame are you talking about?

Is it possible to buy a stock and sell it on the same day within hours or do you have to wait until it shows up in commsec?
I notice it can take awhile before it shows the purchase price when you edit the holdings and price paid for it.

ok, another question...:)

How do you decide at what level to set your stop loss, I mean, if it is too close to your purchase price will it be triggered by the odd bit of volatility during the day, thus causing you to sell when you did not need to? Does my question make sense??:)

Boods

i think it depends on the price of the stock and how volatile it is.
e.g. a stock that is bought for 10 cents could have a stop around 5 cents (50%) but a stock bought for $40 could have a stop at $35 (12.5%).... depending on volatility.

I have been stopped out of stocks in the 30-80 cent range before for having my stops too tight and not allowing for large swings.

I'm sure the experts can chip in later ... they are all probably looking at their screens now :p

How do you decide at what level to set your stop loss, I mean, if it is too close to your purchase price will it be triggered by the odd bit of volatility during the day, thus causing you to sell when you did not need to? Does my question make sense??:)

Boods

yes.

As soon as i receive the emailed contract note or whatever its called. I can sell as that's proof of ownership. This takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 40 minutes to receive the email.

evand, when you say 'in and out' what sort of time frame are you talking about?

Is it possible to buy a stock and sell it on the same day within hours or do you have to wait until it shows up in commsec?
I notice it can take awhile before it shows the purchase price when you edit the holdings and price paid for it.

Shuggy's reply is pretty good. Just depends what your appetite for risk is. 10% is a good average. I use a trailing stop loss where it raises with the share price or 5% below my buy price. Sometimes i don't use one.

Boods

yes.

As soon as i receive the emailed contract note or whatever its called. I can sell as that's proof of ownership. This takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 40 minutes to receive the email.

Have these started slowing down for anyone else but me lately? Used to be a few mins, last few weeks it's regularly become 30mins, 1hr even had one take 3hrs to come through yesterday.

Mine have been within the hour. Are you with Comsec?

Maybe the volume has them backlogged? Another sign of a toppy market maybe?

I went out today for a few hours and tried to get back before the market closed but ddint make it in time. I was going to put a sell order on SEK before i left but I'm glad i didnt. I just saw it's up just over 15% for the day! :eek: My god i can pick em. LOL :D

Have these started slowing down for anyone else but me lately? Used to be a few mins, last few weeks it's regularly become 30mins, 1hr even had one take 3hrs to come through yesterday.

Yeah Comsec. Had the same thought about the backlog of volume, they seem to be the only emails that are delayed getting to me.

That's the one thing I don't like about Commsec....the delay in contract notes....unbelievable...!:eek: How can this be...? Should be straight thru processing..???

Westpac provides instant contract note....I mean INSTANTLY the contract note is generated and available for download and it is always emailed IMMEDIATELY as well....let alone all the current 'position' and related data.....

Anyway, as far as stop losses go, agree with Ev...whatever you are prepared to lose is where you set......

You should not bring into the decision the fact you might get stopped out easilly....heck, what if you are stopped out easy and it keeps going bad....lucky you then hey....?

Make your losses smaller then your profits then you are making $$$...simple easy stuff...discipline...;)

Glad you asked.

Well, James Packers Consolidated Media (CMJ) sold 87 million x seek.com.au (SEK) @ $5.05 this morning on the open market. Which brought the price down to that level for a while but its on the way back up now.

Funnily enough i was holding both. I had $20k worth of CMJ which jumped 10% this morning and i sold.

MCC is going strong and i have a sell order in for $9.40 because i want to go out. Should sell soon. Should be a ~$5k morning for me when it sells.

So........the suspense is killing me!:D
How are everyone's trades going today??
Boods
Everything is going good,the only trade iv'e made over the past 2 weeks was and is a very high risk shorterm is TCQ at 8 cents i could walk away now after tax with above 45% from what i started with,but i just don't know on this one it could still go back to 5 cents or 24..imho willair..

If i feel like that i usually take profit. It does look a bit speccy, but looks like it might be in for a decent upward trend. How many you have?

Caltex looks good. Not a tip of course, just thinking out loud. :D

Everything is going good,the only trade iv'e made over the past 2 weeks was and is a very high risk shorterm is TCQ at 8 cents i could walk away now after tax with above 45% from what i started with,but i just don't know on this one it could still go back to 5 cents or 24..imho willair..

Back