Drop in or undermount sinks?

I have a new Ceaserstone kitchen i am putting into a reno.

I am going for a modern finish as it is in a premium location (even though 2 bedder unit).

But, do you think it is worth paying an extra $300-$400 for a square double sink for the modern look - considering it might be outdated quickly?

Also, do you think it compromises the look having a drop in sink (as opposed to an under-mount sink) with Ceaserstone benches???

I like the look of undermount sinks, but a friend of mine about a year ago had a new kitchen done with stone benchtops and undermount sinks. She found that the edges of the stone are getting chipped and worn.

Now, she does a lot of cooking and is likely sliding heavy trays and saucepans into the sinks. But tenants are possibly going to be pretty rough with things, too.

Scott

You cannot stand in an Undermount sink, you fall through.:eek:

Sorry just putting on my tenant hat for changing light bulb/cleaning ceilings etc.

Sure it spoils the look but will have less maintainance issues.

good points...shudder to think what tenants get up to lol...

god, just imagine a tenant ringing through saying the sink had fallen out....UM --> WHAT!!!

Overmount it is, just found some pics of some installs with stone that look good with overmount... :)

over mount, leaves an edge that someone may flood, or cut the silicone away from, but is very strong
under mount, leaves someone standing in the sink (shudder, but I think Scott No Mates is right) breaking it away ,chipping it, but is easily wiped and water runs off the bench into the sink

the problem is which idiot is more likely
there will be 1 idiot eventually,
are they more likely to fail to wipe up the spills
drop something heavy / stand in the sink (yes)

+1 for over mount
currently examining s/steel bench tops with formed-in sinks, very industrial in appearance, but very idiot resistant there is a lip on the front edge, inbuilt backsplash, and the whole thing drains toward the 1.5 sinks.

Back