Drop into Somersoft's Chatroom now!

Oh I hope it's very good as this works just fine.

Is the current site broke...?

It's very very good. And it's responsive - works great on mobile devices.

Current site isn't really broke, just that web development has moved on a long way from the software we currently use (which is over 3 years old - an eternity in "internet time"), browsers are a lot more capable, there's a lot of nice things we can add to enhance the forum experience, security practices have improved, new services are available to improve performance, etc.

I'm glad I waited - I hear nothing but horror stories from people who upgraded to newer versions of vBulletin (v4.x and v5.x) ... and the recently released version of XenForo fixes most of the management features that were lacking in earlier versions.

Is there an ETA on release date?

Is it sad that this is exciting? :)

No ETA ... I'm going to do some test migrations, spend some time on creating a new theme to make the site look good, test some integrations with various tools to improve performance (eg, we'll have a separate search server which will actually make search work!!), and spend some time teaching the moderation team how to do their thing.

I do plan on setting up a test site where our members can familiarise themselves with the new forum software - but that will be down the track a little.

In the meantime, I've just upgraded http://bizq.com.au/ to the same software ... I'm planning a relaunch of that site sometime in the near future (but not until after I've finished the Somersoft migration!). If you want to see how the software works in it's basic form, have a look at that site - feel free to sign up and test out posting and such as well.

I'm not making any promises about ETA for Somersoft ... there's a lot of work to do to prepare for the migration, I have a lot of development work to do as well to replace a lot of custom code that holds the current forum together behind the scenes. I also have bills to pay, so the Somersoft migration must take a back seat to actually making some money occasionally.

That being said, I did consider the idea of running a small Kickstarter campaign to help fund the costs to get the migration work done, which will allow me to make it a much higher priority and get it done sooner. Haven't thought through the logistics of how I would make that work and what benefits could be offered yet ... was just an idea.

So, would $20 each from regular members do it?

I've got no idea but would like to help as you certainly have come up with the goods for so many years now and it's easy to take for granted.

Just askin/sayin....:cool:

Apparently, a woman becomes a mum during pregnancy and a man becomes a dad when he holds his child for the first time :D

According to James that isn't the case, only a Mum once bub is out - at least that's why I didn't get a Mother's Day present last year!

According to James that isn't the case, only a Mum once bub is out - at least that's why I didn't get a Mother's Day present last year!

He/she cant buy you a mothers day present til he/she is capable of going to the stores ;)

Sim: Can it pleeeease be tapatalk enabled?

So, would $20 each from regular members do it?

Active Members: 36,126

I would say so!

While I'd be happy to pay for these forums now, I may not have signed up initially if there had been a $20 cover charge. So this might reduce the number of new people signing up.
Maybe if the first 100 posts are free and then you have to pay $20 or something like that.

Edit: I just did a quick count and there are 1058 people with more than 100 posts, so that would be roughly $20k, should be enough for the migration and possible server upgrade if needed.

Active Members: 36,126

I would say so!

While I'd be happy to pay for these forums now, I may not have signed up initially if there had been a $20 cover charge. So this might reduce the number of new people signing up.
Maybe if the first 100 posts are free and then you have to pay $20 or something like that.

Edit: I just did a quick count and there are 1058 people with more than 100 posts, so that would be roughly $20k, should be enough for the migration and possible server upgrade if needed.

No cover charge - any funding project like this would be completely voluntary - that's why I mentioned Kickstarter as an idea.

Unfortunately, the 36,126 "active" members includes spam-bots who have registered in the past month (probably 80% of that figure).

I'd have to do a bit of digging into the database to calculate the real figure ignoring bots. Unfortunately, a lot of the stats these days are misleading (users online, for example) because of the sheer volume of spam bots we have attempting to register and post on a daily basis (literally hundreds every day!)

Drop on in.....the lights on and jugs boiling........dont forget the monte carlos :)

All those non SS members will not be able to get into the chatroom where all the live nuts and bolts chatting is shared... so join up - it is free! If you dont, you're missing out!

Last edited:
Do you give any advice on improving those? :p

Yes . Definitely

eg
stop slaping ...... with a wet trout it might put them off

&
btw , there is a private message facility , so if you want to chat up ....use that , so the rest of us can talk about property.

and Pinkboy , if you want a chance , pick a cooler nick

Cliff

Last edited:
btw , there is a private message facility , so if you want to chat up ....use that , so the rest of us can talk about property.

The chatroom is a social area ... there is no "property only" rule ... it's a great place to get to know people and talk about whatever. Always has been.

and Pinkboy , if you want a chance , pick a cooler nick

What does his nick have to do with anything? He's been posting on the forums for several years under the same nick ... nothing wrong with it.

The chatroom is a social area ... there is no "property only" rule ... it's a great place to get to know people and talk about whatever. Always has been.

What does his nick have to do with anything? He's been posting on the forums for several years under the same nick ... nothing wrong with it.

Sim , this was said in jest

Cliff

For Apple users! How to connect via a irc client!

for those apple users.... Down load a free IRC client.. I have found the best one is TurboIRC.. It is the easiest, simplest, least advertising...

Once turbo irc is downloaded, click on settings.

Default Nick: MissE (its my alter ego and u can put what ever u want)

You can change font settings in here if u need something larger..
I have clicked on English as the language as opposed to default.
Click on advanced tab.
I have turned on time stamp
scroll down the screen
I turned on use smileys.
Click on save on top left
Click on save again on top left

Click on Connect
Click on New server

It will then appear as name Server on the bottom of the list underneath GRNet

Click on the name Server

It gives you options, click on Edit

On Name you can change this to what ever u want, even SS for somersoft if you like...

Address put in irc.uk.mibbit.net
port 6667
Nick : should come up with what you entered earlier.

click on Done in top right

Click on the Server name again (or the new name u called it)
Click on Connect

On the top left click on Join
type in #property (You have to have the #in) and then press return key
(Or if u have previously done this just click on #property in the list)

you will then join the channel we are in!

Hope this helps!

(Note: I found that irc.mibbit.net will not work in the various clients i tested this morning. Only irc.uk.mibbit.net will work. This is what i am using on my iphone so i know it is tried and tested.)

Last edited by a moderator:
oh to disconnect, so your not wasting bandwidth...

click on menu in top right corner, then click on disconnect! :)

Simple as!

it has a long time out too this client

Back