Dumbest things you have done

I just found out I was paying for insurance for a property that I didn't own :eek:
for the last um about 1 and a half years how dumb is that on the flip side it is like saving the money because I am getting a lump sum back from the insurance company of $1600 so I'm happy about that.

Whats the dumbest thing some of you have done come everyone has a story!!

Mate, that's not nearly as dumb as not paying insurance for a property you do own, only to have it burn down or some tenent have an accident sue you for a few Mil.

I've done sooooo many Dumb things that I would just dominate this thread if I had listed them all.

I don't think I would be too far behind you. The three that come immediately to mind are;

1. Buying in Canberra for 100k in 1997 and selling just before everything went crazy.
2. Spending 5 years at Uni when I could have been working, earning and investing.
3. Listening too much to people that did not have my best interests at heart.

On the positive side, being able to see these events from a distance a few years down the track certainly puts them into perspective. At the end of the day, it's not the end of the world when you have done something dumb, and it usually provides a few laughs over a beer or two with friends. :)

Phil.

Last edited:
Lots of competition here.
Maybe listening to a financial planner who talked me out of property into share in the late 90's. What my money go backwards then just had money in the bank during the boom.

Selling properties without leveraging...biggest lesson of my IP-life. Soooo glad I learned it in the nick of time. Those nicks are pretty important.:D

I've made many, many mistakes, including having sold 2 properties and procrastinating when opportunities presented. :mad:

I now forget how those mistakes came about. The past can't be changed and won't change, therefore, I leave them as they are: Past and gone. :)

All I remember now is the lesson:

Keep the eyes on the road ahead, be prepared and act decisively, with the desired destination firmly in mind.

The future is mine to enjoy. :D

That would have to rate as the top one so far wow.

yeh he bought a piece of land, carved it up into about 12 lots and sold them off, not realising one had slipped through the cracks!

conversely I knew a guy who bought a house and a few months later discovered that next door was on his title too... can I include that as a dumb thing with a good outcome? the normally annoying neghbour suddenly became very friendly when the issue raised its head.

The dumb thing I did yesterday was backing out of my driveway while looking at a cute little puppy walking past. I backed right into the neighbours car parked in the street. I guess I needed to meet the neighbour at some stage.
Every day there seems to be something that I do, it must come with being 7 months pregnant, I just hate it when it costs me money though.

Dumbest thing I"ve ever done was not doing a few contiki tours when I was young and single.

Thanks for the reminder. I went on one in 2003 and had the time of my life. Promised myself I'd go on one every other year for the next few years but haven't followed through. Time to book methinks!

Keep the eyes on the road ahead, be prepared and act decisively

:D

timely advice kenster - i have been procratinating and deliberating on a decision for weeks now - now i shall make those phone calls.

oh, and i understand that pregnant thing totally - when 8 months gone i called the nrma out when my car wouldn't start (had to wait nearly 2 hours). when he arrived he just took the automatic out of drive and put it in park - it started straight away.

Told Peter 14.7 that his eggs were better than my wife's (whilst she was lying in bed in the next room AWAKE AND LISTENING). Stupid, STUPID!!! *** hits head on table like Dobby the house elf***

Now, this morning, its: "I've made Aden a lovely omelette, but there's none for you because you don't like my eggs!" :eek: But, I LOVE your eggs, its just that Peter's were better. :eek:

My world is that little bit sadder this morning... :(

;)

Michael

At high school my peer group had the "100kph challenge" for all those that had just got their licences. The challenge, which I stupidly accepted, was to exceed the speed limit on any given road, by at least 100kph. :rolleyes:

I successfully met the challenge; fortunately no one was killed from it, it only cost me my licence. I'd say I got off very very lightly.

Teenage boys and cars are a scary combination.

Went to get my Licence renewed recently as it was out of date by a couple of month's [ I don't celebrate Birthday's, so alway's forget].

Only to find out that I had some unpaid ticket's from early 1990's outstanding and had actually had my license suspended 4 and a half years ago:eek:

Paid the fine, and got license renewed, all good.

The reminder notices for the fines were being sent to an address not the same as the one on my license.:mad:

Glad I had'nt had an accident during that time.:rolleyes:

Dave

Back