Duplex build with husband

I can see why people get upset with their builders

Hubby had ordered 4 vanities, 2 with drawers on left hand side and 2 with drawers on the right hand side.

When he opened the boxes, the drawers were all on the same side so instead of returning 2 vanity units he had them all installed as he was going fishing for a week out to Swans Reef and didn't have the time to wait. :mad:

The tiler did a great job laying the tiles except when he put in the feature tile on our side in the ensuite he put it in the wrong place. When I spotted this I told him but decided I can live with this as we would have to order more tiles to correct.

Hubby ordered stairs to be made as he was going fishing, he forgot to ring and tell them not to install stairs until he returned from fishing, so we have a few more dings in the walls that need to be replastered.

Hubby ordered the stairs to be made so he could have tiles laid half way up the stairs, only he knows why he did this as it interrupts the flow of the stairs and there is no need to have tiles half way up the stairs which is a common practice if the front door entry is half way up the stairs.

Of course we have not ordered tiles for the stairs as it was not on the plan...Go figure.

Probably 5 weeks until inside of units are finished and then another 2 weeks to do outside & landscaping.

We are waiting on roof tilers to return and do small roofes over front doors which could not be erected until scaffolding removed. Painter is coming next Wednesday - we would have liked him to start today having given him 5 weeks notice.

Plumbers will return when front roof is complete - they could have come last week while tilers inside but hubby was away and small roofs not complete.

List of things to do.
  • Painters
  • Roof Tilers
  • Plumbers
  • Electrican
  • Whitegoods to be delivered & installed except they are chrome/stainless steel
  • Floor tilers to lay tiles in living areas (and stairs)
  • Shower screen, mirrors and sliding doors
  • Security fly screens are in duplex garages waiting for us also security front screen doors.
  • Carpet to be selected once walls are being painted.
  • Blinds to be selected when painter starts.
  • Door furniture & bathroom towel rails & toilet roll holders etc. fitted
  • Handrails to internal stairwell
  • Backhoe & Driveways & kerb crossings after plumbers finished
  • Lansdscaping & clotheslines must be completed before Building Inspector comes back.
  • Brickie - hubby is going to use left over bricks in landscaping and or letter box
  • TV antenna installation.
  • Fence back boundary - at a later date
  • Airconditioning - at a later date for our unit & probably other unit

In years gone past eg. previous builds I used to get upset when the smallest thing went wrong or subbie did not turn up when he said he was coming - now I don't get upset.

When there is something wrong, hubby is still a marshmellow and won't say anything, it is up to me to point out issue to the tradesman.

The tilers cut the tiles inside the duplex instead of outside as previous tilers have done, hubby didn't say anything to the tilers - so hubby has spent 2 days this week cleaning the tile dust out of the units and one day sorting out tile waste and recycling cardboard. :(

Kind Regards
Sheryn

LOL yep know what thats like, the plasterers I asked if they had a dustless sander YES WE DO, great I figured told them be back in couple of days simple to give them space to work. I return and :eek::eek: DUST everywhere and BOY what a mess :mad:. So instead of doing what I had to do I spent the day cleaning the place and vacuming out, needed clean but getting rid of plaster dust is a different level of cleaning :cool:. When they returned the following day I said my peace.

If they did not have a dustless sander that would not have bothered me but as they had said YES I never bothered covering any of my electrical tools or my fridge etc etc.

OH HUM at least I'm not stressing I say what I think and its done and move on.

When do you think you will be finished Sheryn? I hope to be finished inside in 4 weeks, earlier if possible. When I finish will try and slip down for look see.

Brian

Hubby said beginning of September so I reckon 7 weeks. The painter is a 2person team consisting of father and son so I reckon they will take 3 weeks which basically takes up all of August then floor tiles need to be laid which I think would be another 2 weeks.

On the safe side end of September which is not what I planned as I would like to move into Unit 2 and then put our PPOR on the market.

Hopefully hubby remembers to take some photos today.

First quote for sliding doors & shower screens + mirrors is $2186 per unit, doesn't hurt as much when you say $4427 :eek: which includes $55 for travel time.

I keep telling myself we are building and asset and increasing our wealth.

Hubby is 55 years old today and has been retired (from actually earning $'s in a paypacket) since Easter 2009.

I am semi retired and working 2 days a week ( I could do more days but that wasn't the plan) to cover interest repayments and groceries until project completed.

NBS
you are welcome to come down anytime, I think you can safely complete your project first. Actually if we get time I want to visit our son again up your way.

We actually drove up to Coolangatta on Monday so Hubby could complete form so he can keep his forklift licence since you now need to have picture licence to operate and of course pay a fee every few years.

Cheers
Sheryn

Obtained second quote for shower screens, mirrors & sliding doors yesterday and it came in at $7502. First quote was $4427

7502/2 = $3751 - we have 2 x word of mouth recommendations for this companies shower screens

or

4427/2 = $2213.5 - we have one word of mouth comment - not to use this company's showerscreen as flimsy.

More research needed + one more quote.

Stairs Unit 1
Main bedroom cupboards
Laundry Unit 1

Attachments

• units 06 08 2010 008.jpg
    units 06 08 2010 008.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 105
  • units 06 08 2010 020.jpg
    units 06 08 2010 020.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 101
  • units 06 08 2010 028.jpg
    units 06 08 2010 028.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 97
All photos are taken by hubby and these ones are darker then the ones above...

Bathroom shower feature tile in Unit 2
Vanity unit & bath
Ensuite feature tile in Unit 1

If you look closely you will see we used big tiles in the bathroom - I won't do that again as too much wastage and the tiles were thicker which threw out architrave (door architrave ahd to be packed out to meet tile edge from shower in ensuite and shower hob ended up being thicker and wider.

BTW
A block of land down the road from the duplex is on the market for $199,500 advertised as a duplex block so I think they have DA approval adn then found out how dear duplexes are to build and have decided against building. Onwners of block had previously built a house & sold for a good profit. We paid 140K for our block

Cheers
Sheryn

Attachments

• units 06 08 2010 013.jpg
    units 06 08 2010 013.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 87
  • units 06 08 2010 014.jpg
    units 06 08 2010 014.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 99
  • units 06 08 2010 036.jpg
    units 06 08 2010 036.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 103
Rockstar

No Tony didn't get a quote off Eddie, his card is sitting on hubby's desk.
;) I think we are getting third quote off the window supplier.

I keep out of the subbies because if anything goes wrong (and it does) then it is not my fault.

Can't believe the difference in prices.

Kind Regards
Sheryn

Today the painters have started.

Rockstart
Q. Guess what the colour will be? A. AntiqueWhite USA.

The painters suggested that Hubby get a quote off Eddie as he is competitive, so I have given Eddie's card to hubby.

Isn't it funny that a male has to hear it from a male...:rolleyes:

Hubby also said to the Painters he was 3 weeks late getting the tilers in - but that didn't matter (hubby doesn't worry that we are paying interest repayments for these 3 weeks which add to costs).

Cheers
Sheryn

Painters have finished and plumbers came in connected storm water and council inspected, plumbers still need to finish sewerage, the floor tiler is coming back on Thursday. Hubby needs to start roughing out driveways.

Shower screens and sliding doors ordered and we have ordered the carpet for the bedrooms

To do list....
Stormwater
Driveways & cement paths around units- backhoe & bobcat
Tiler
Install security screens
Landscaping, clotheslines, letterboxes & plants
Electrician
Lights & fans
Blinds - I need to chase up quotes for white verticals & holland blind
Initial & final council inspections
Move in

Duplex has been at lock up for a while and temporary builders fence was to come down last week after plumbers finished but still up.

Now this is amazing hubby - someone enters our building site after hubby leaves late in the afternoon and uses the site toilet and steals the toilet paper roll. :eek: This person does this regularly :eek: :(

Sheryn

Builder's fence is down and removed from site. The tiler is back and hopefully will be finished next week. Tiler backed over stormwater pipe - so hubby had to repair.

Building Inspector checked 'roughed out' driveway and Inspector is sending Council Engineer up to inspect % of fall.

Electrician will be back on Monday he dropped in this afternoon.

Carpet has been ordered, as well as blinds and cupboard doors/shower screens.

Landscaping to be completed.

I need to go and pick out towel rails and toilet roll holders, hubby has installed clothes rails in cupboards.

Will need TV antenna's installed so will see how much.

Hoping project will be finished before holidays - which is months later than originally planned.

Regards
Sheryn

Photo update

1. Excavation of block at start of project
2. Front driveways
3. Unit 2 driveway - will be steep as coucil land kerb crossing had to be cut down to meet development requirements. :rolleyes:

Council Engineer has not turned up, so have rebooked for Building Inspector to check tomorrow.

You cannot see the height difference on photo 2 but Unit 1's driveway will be lower than fire hydrant - to meet council requirements! Lack of a bit of common sense when block of land fall back didn't meet council requirements prior to purchase.

Kind Regards
Sheryn

Attachments

• lot 3 25 002.jpg
    lot 3 25 002.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 120
  • new pictures 003.jpg
    new pictures 003.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 131
  • new pictures 004.jpg
    new pictures 004.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 109
More photo's

1. Living area.
2. Looking into laundry across kitchen bench the rectangle hole on left of photo is telephone point.
3. Backyard

REA principal and salesman viewed unit yesterday and sale appraisal price is 360K so we are happy with that price for each unit. :p

Estimated rent is $330 per unit.

Cheers
Sheryn

Attachments

• new pictures 001.jpg
    new pictures 001.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 114
  • new pictures 002.jpg
    new pictures 002.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 112
  • new pictures 006.jpg
    new pictures 006.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 114
Had the same thing happen to me Sheryn. The council happily supplied a new casing which we set at the height of the new driveway. The old cast iron casing is sitting at home in my garden - a relic of the past. :D

So your Val is now 720k - ? = ?

Any idea on the new profit forcast?

Yes valuation is 720K

No new profit forecast, I am waiting for the end of project as hubby wants to put paths around the whole building and extend brick wall in backyard. Driveways will be wider and thicker than estimated.

Go with the flow...Hubby doesn't worry about time/tasks costs.

Regards
Sheryn

Agree extra 70K is good - I want to refinance duplex loan with daughter next month.

Our total leverage is about 50%, which I am happy about.

Actually I have to rethink our plans and next step.

Sheryn

It has been raining so we have not been able to do much outside the duplex as red dirt. Hubby managed to get the driveways poured and we are awaiting concrete edging for front yard as steep.

We have purchased the native plants that the council approved on our landscape plan and will plant the back gardens when the rain lets up a bit.

Electrician needs to spend probably half a day in unit to finish off - he has had the flu.

PM has advertised property and we have had 8 lots of potential tenants look through the duplex. Bit stuck with the weather as it has rained so much we can't get outside finished which we need for Council approval.

Cost so far is $299086.21 (without land costs, fees & charges) I have not added up holding costs as yet. With land cost is $444.323.65 atm.

Bills to come...
  • Painter
  • Plumber
  • Electrician & lights
  • Turf
  • Plants of our choosing & rocks for garden
  • Edging
  • Dishwashers
  • Insurance

Hubby ended up extending the dividing wall between the units and I can't believe how much better the units look with a solid brick wall compared to a timber fence.

Rent will be $330 per side 2 x 330 = $660 and expected building & land costs will be early 500K probalby 550K with holding costs so not sure if yield will be positive or negative as yet.

Cheers
Sheryn

Anyway - I probably am testing the fates by writing the following. On the weekend we visited friends and we were hanging over the side of his front balcony looking up his side boundary it was 1.5 metres from house to fence and is on sloping block eg. double garage under and level living area on top.

We were saying this is how we expect our side boundary to turn out on the duplex we plan to build - no need for retaining walls etc. We look up an spot our council assessor he lives next door to our friends.

Dave not sure what you were asking but side boundary has turned out better than I thought.

Since we have had 3-4 weeks of solid rain hubby has not been able to complete landscaping, council inspector was contacted and he did inspect and give permission for interim occupation so we can give PM a date for tenants to move in.

Two issues came up out of the blue with Inspector
1. He wants a fence on back boundary - this was not in council conditions for granting development approval .

We did approach the company that owns the back lot via letter months ago as we intend to put up a fence - so not a big issue.

2. Internal stairs since they aren't carpeted the step treads need to have grooves or anti slip strip - disppointing as nice timber internal feature.

Pictures below are:
unit 1 side garden
unit 2 back garden and
unit 2 side garden

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 103
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 014.jpg