Easement of Transmission Line and Sewerage in backyard

Hi Guys

We are interested in house which is relatively lower in price compared to other streets in same suburbs but it has Easement of Transmission Line and Sewerage in backyard. It also has big tree in backyard. Please check attached two pics.

Wondering if these are really problem when choosing a house?

Appreciate your comments folks.

Glen and Anna

Attachments

• 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 163
  • sewe.jpg
    sewe.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 198
In terms of loans it is. Many lenders will refuse to lend with these houses as security. I recently got one through for a client but it wasn't easy.

Powerlines - a percieved eme issue (may cause people to grow two heads or whatever).

Drainage easement - will make life difficult to extend the property esp if you want to go back into the yard or put in a pool/garage.

i think your children will always be girls, living next to power lines ;)

seriously, you will have fewer tenants, so why would you chose this as your ppor.

i would think at least a 30-50% reduction in price compare to a property next door that isnt affected with the defects.

in a easement you have tendency for council or other authorities acquiring your property for drainage or open space etc

Hi Guys

We are interested in house which is relatively lower in price compared to other streets in same suburbs but it has Easement of Transmission Line and Sewerage in backyard. It also has big tree in backyard. Please check attached two pics.

Glen and Anna

I have came across a house similar to yours recently.
I have no issue with the sewerage in backyard, as long as no intention to extend or develop it.

However the transmission line over the backyard was really a killer. I received the Contract for Sale, containing more than 100 pages including over 70 pages data / info. from Sydney Electricity. I walked away immediately. The property has been sitting on the market for months, its really bad considering the current Sydney property market. I think it definitely has turned most of the buyers off.

I think the problem of it may be difficult to offload in the future and impact on CG.

Thanks for input, but why? Are these really big problem? Appreciate if you can elaborate.

The power lines are the main problem.

1. Lenders hate them

2. Small minority of people will buy them (hence the cheapness)

3. Even smaller number of people will lease them

3. Perceived associated health risks

4. They can noisy

Add the 2nd major problem of the easement and I would stay clear.

Normally a drainage easement can be acceptable but my personal opinion in this is this is not the case.

Thanks a lot folks for your inputs.
So i'm gonna stay away from that property :)

Actually there is another property on next street (bottom right side of this pic - yellow border) : http://i43.tinypic.com/2uf9g2h.jpg

I'm wondering if that same powerline is problem for this new property?

Attachments

• ww.jpg
    ww.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 93
Hi Guys

Glen and Anna

Depending on the lender there is usually a 50 metre set back from high tension power lines. If you do end up buying it you would need to look for a lender that will not do a valuation.

We once looked at a property bordering on some power lines, it was half the price of other similar properties in the area.

My wife's response was, it doesn't matter what the price is, we're not buying it. You'll get the same response from some tenants.

I wouldn't think the second property you listed would be a deal killer, but it would need to be discounted still.

Looks like there is new one listed today in same area, but this one is like appro 150m away from the line

https://www.google.com.au/maps/prev...9!3d-33.7807566!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1&fid=7

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/Winston-Hills/?adid=2010825135

What do you think folks?

Thanks,
Glen and Anna

It may turned some off including myself, but definitely not everyone.
I just went to my solicitor office (Home based office) on last weekend. Her newly built house is directly under transmission line and the tower is just on next door.
Happy family through.

My suburb has one side bordering onto power lines. Houses backing onto them always take a long time to sell and tenant.

Example property, new to the market same time as my new PPOR in March 2013. Listed at $529k, large 4br home. Price drop after 3 weeks to $499k. I buy my PPOR and settle. I move in, other house for sale still. Price drop offers over $475k. Price drop $475k. Finally goes under contract in July for $450k.

A rental house not far away comes vacant, 1 house back from power lines, sits empty for 6 weeks and 2 price drops before its leased.

House next door to above rental comes on market, takes close to 3 months to go under contract. Other houses in the same suburb without power lines are selling at first open home.

Back