Ebay, Gumtree, Freecycle and ...

Oh and oztion too, or whatever its called now :)

So every now and again I want 'something' and I go to one of these sites to try and get it. Ebay is the best of course, not so good for sellers though because of the fees.

Anyway, I'm in the country. So trying to post a 'wanted' ad you invariably end up having to pick an area, and that area is so narrow there's only 3 people on the entire internet in that area. I want to pick BIG areas like ... oh, anywhere north of Adelaide. Including the suburbs IN Adelaide. But I can't.

And I get listings removed or blocked because I'm not specific enough by area or I do something heinous like offer to pay postage because I'm in the country.

Are there any other sites where you can actually list by *large* areas or you can say you'll pay postage to people that are too far away? Or have I just inadvertently stumbled on a business idea?

If the latter, it could be a "country2country" sort of classifieds website for people in regional/rural areas to post stuff without having to nitpick so much about location because some city person who won't travel more than 3 suburbs has designed the user interface. Could let businesses list too, I know there's a lot of businesses located in the city who'll service rural areas but if you search for them you need to find their exact freakin suburb.

Oh and you could have dating listings too, I have no idea how anyone finds anyone else out here to get laid, I brought my own with me when I moved here but boy is there slim pickings, especially if you're of geekish persuasion :D

There are some pretty large areas on facebook. One buy/sell page i use, is central west, buy, swap and sell. Very easy to start your own too...
Not sure about the getting laid part though :)

Ah, facebook. Is there anything it doesn't do? :rolleyes:

I'm already a member/friend of a couple of fairly large regional thingies but they don't seem to be particularly active.

Which I guess is half the problem here, 90+% of the population is in the cities so it makes economic sense to ignore the rest of us completely.

Gumtree sounds like your best bet, you can post to any area you like there and no fees either for basic listings.
Gumtree is the one I keep getting ads pulled from because I'm posting 'wanted' and am happy to pay for postage if I can't pick up in person. I've had 'offers' pulled on Freecycle for similar reasons, trying to specify 'north of Adelaide' not an exact suburb or distance, and saying '300km from X' is ridiculous when you really mean 'north of Y' but they won't let you say it.

Lying about location or posting multiple ads with different locations to cover a bigger area isn't really my style.

and reusemoose doesn't seem to have a 'wanted' section ...

thinking I'm going to have myself a new project if I'm not careful.

Back