Election 2013: 14th Sept - the official thread

I don't think that is a double standard. Tony Abbott is the leader of the Liberal Party and potential Prime Minister of Australia. Tim Mathieson is Somebody's Partner. Most people don't know his name let alone what he looks like. The gaffe was relatively unimportant because the man is relatively unimportant. Yes, if Abbott had made the comment there would have been a shedstorm. Likewise, a gaffe by Margaret Abbott would be more easily forgiven than a gaffe by Julia Gillard. We expect better from our leaders. Sometimes, perhaps, our expectations are a touch too high and rigid?

Hard call both ways. I personally think partners should be off limits.

Either way feel sorry for Tim.

Peter

Either way feel sorry for Tim.

Peter

A lot of the flack Tim got was due to the changes to the discrimination laws Roxon was proposing, nothing more.

Under the proposed changes had Tim offended anyone he could have been charged with a crime.

If anything the man did Australia a good deed by highlighting it's absurdity :).

Well Everyone,

We have a date, September 14th 2013, in case you were unsure.:p

So I thought, as we always have passionate debates on politics here, that we needed a thread to gather our opinions for all. So here it is.

Can I also ask we keep comments policy driven and not personal. Personally I don't care if someone has a big butt or wears Speedos too often, as much as the future of our Country and it children.

First Question I ask is:

What does the the unprecedented move to announce a date 7 months in advance mean:

1. Is a shrewd ploy to trip the Opposition;
  2. An sign of desperation from what some say is a weak PM;
  3. An stamp of Authority to all, especially Kevin Rudd and Malcolm Turnbull;
  4. An effort to take the Election and date speculation off the agenda?
  5. Nothing at all.

And
  • do you think it will advantage or disadvantage the incumbent, Labor?
All and any opinions welcome and please feel free to put your question/s as well to keep the thread live and fresh.

Lastly, I will start by saying, as a Victorian, this date falls in the middle of AFL finals so Ms Gillard must feel her beloved Western Bulldogs will not be featured (again) this year, lest she lose focus:rolleyes:

Regards to all and let the games begin! Peter 14.7

A bump for the original question.

Peter 14.7

On Paul Murray live last night Sky News kept up its usual level of discussion when one panelist noted that it must have been a cold day, after viewing the usual clip of Mr Abbott in speedos.

Paul Murray laughed and carried on.

Imagine if someone commented on the size of Gillards breasts........ Unfathomable that that could happen.

There already have been comments on her backside and dress/appearance. Nothing is new in this regard.

There are 2 possibilities, I think:
1) - the least likely, that we have an almost hung parliament again due to the majority of people hating both makor parties; or
2) - the most likely, being Labor cops an absolute hiding.

There already have been comments on her backside and dress/appearance. Nothing is new in this regard.

BS, they were laughing at the size of his penis! You say that is nothing new? That is a completely different level to dress sense.

The other key difference of course is that when Greer made the comments about dress and backside, she was roundly criticised.

There are 2 possibilities, I think:
1) - the least likely, that we have an almost hung parliament again due to the majority of people hating both makor parties; or
2) - the most likely, being Labor cops an absolute hiding.

I think No 2. Hiding. This is based on NSW and QLD that the polls said hiding, then they said no then yes then maybe but in the end back to start point and Hiding.

As I see it:

Abbott will win unless he does something to lose it
Gillard will lose unless Abbot does something to lose it.
Wild Card: Bob Katter Party splitting Conservative Vote.

That something would have to be big. Really big. And love him or hate him, most unbiased commentators would say he is experienced pollie and too smart to trip up.

Even Gen Y are reported to worry about jobs and money so when jobs are the focus, economics lead the argument.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...d-out-generation/story-fndo48ca-1226513941846

Personally I cannot find one reason to vote Labor and I did in 2007. Missed 2010 overseas.

Regards Peter 14.7

Uh Oh....another political ***** fight thread....and with only 7 months to go....:eek:

Should be interesting but I promise to never comment on this thread again until election day. Yay for all....:)

I am voting Liberal Democratic Party for the Senate, Libs for the Lower House.

Reason being:
I dont want another hung parliament, only one thing worse than this current labour government, and that is this current labour government with a hung parliament.

I am not pure anti-labour, but i am very suspicious of them. But some of the labour ministers that i respect such as Martin Ferguson, are given donkey jobs in the current labour establishment.

Benefits of the Liberal Democratic Party that i believe are useful:
Economic:
*government revenue and expenditure: small government is their motto. I firmly believe that the government is less efficient than the private sector when it comes to resource allocation, so the smaller the government, the more efficient, the rest of the overall economy
*reduced taxation: yes baby
* reduced government regulation: for those that opperate businesses, we know the rediculous amount of regulation that is created just to 'sound good' for an isolated incident, but in commercial reality, just creates more red tape and less incentive to actually get out there and create real economic wealth.
* market pricing for electricity: let the most efficient player win. No more carbon tax.

Non-economic:
* assisted suicide for the elderly
*cannabis: how do we really solve this problem. How much in the way of economic resources go into managing this problem. Yet because its illegal, capitalism by its very nature, creates a 'market' for this through black market profit. Legalise it, get rid of the black market, reduce the economic resources that go into trying to irradicate it. Even better, legalise and tax.
*Defence: keep it as a national condition of having 'protection' but monitor the expenditure. Dont waste money
* legalise gay marriage. Its their business, not ours. In the modern world, people have lots of opinions, but at the end of the day, its their right, they are human beings and have the right just as we do, to make their own decisions.

I'm getting bored here.
You can go through the rest of it here if you are interested:
http://www.ldp.org.au/policies

The only 'thing' i dont agree with the the LDP policies is gun control. I am pro gun control, but like most things, one will never agree with all policies. So just stack up the positives and negatives and make an overall decision.

Abbott is prone to foot in mouth disease.

The mad hatters political party will be very lucky to pick up one or two seats in lower house, and would side with the coalition if it came down to the wire.

Where they might get some real power is the senate.

As I see it:

With the preference system, it doesn't matter if the Katter Party take some conservative vote, because it will flow back to the LNP anyway. The only isue is if KAP outvote the LNP in a particular seat. They may do in a couple of seats, but I don't think it will be a major concern to the LNP.

katter can take his protectionist, xenophobic right wing nutters and play the preferences back to the liberals anyday.

it's a traditional labor vote for the liberal party - politics really doesn't get much more ironic than that.

i will be enrolling to vote for this election. there's no way i want labor to hold majority anything - but what they hold within their own little union circles is their business...what's the term....party on the titanic?

As I've commented previously, I reckon all of the polls and surveys and polls and media reports and polls and commentariat and polls and newspaper articles and polls and TV exposes and the latest polls and editions of Insiders and more polls won't amount to a hill of beans.

As we saw in NSW, as we saw in Qld, as we saw in the NT, and as we are about to see in WA.....the Labor brand is very much on the nose when it comes to the only poll that counts.

I think we'll see something similar to the 1975 result, when Whitlam got chucked out on his ear.

See attached for the current pendulum of seats.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2013/01/2013-federal-election-pendulum.html

Anything could happen....including non-politicians being voted in.

Interesting side bit - Apparently the most common surname in the Liberal Party amongst their candidates is Nguyen.

Interesting side bit - Apparently the most uncommon surname in the Liberal Party amongst their candidates is Nguyen.

John Nguyen may well be the first Vietnamese refugee to enter Federal Parliament (he was a boy when his family fled on a boat). I’ve been watching this young fellow for years and it looks like he’s well liked at local level. Anna Burke has a bit to be worried about despite her standing as Speaker of the House and her 5.8% margin.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...s-as-lib-team-takes-shape-20120614-20cd8.html

Interesting cabinet reshuffle

Looks like Chris Evans is leaving his tertiary education portfolio
Nicola Roxon appears to have resigned from being AG

Neither are recontesting the next election.

Chris Bowen to take portfolio from Chris Evans (Julia called it a promotion, however not so sure)

and Brendan OConnor to take immigration from Chris Bowen

Back