Electric Pool Heater

Question for anyone who has an electic pool heater. Do you run it off your pool pump/filtration system or have it run off it's own pump?

I have an electric heat pump pool heater and I run it using the old solar heating pump to push the water through the heater.

I would think the extra load on the filter pump may cause problems with extra back pressure and piping required but I am no expert.

Thanks Macca. Don't think that would be an issue. Was thinking more from an efficiency point of view not having to run the pool system 24/7 during colder months.

This could also depend on the pool setup,

Is it enclosed ?
Do you want to swim 365 a year ?
Do you have a good thermal pool blanket ?
What temperature do you intend to have it at?

I only swim about 8 months of the year so simply turn the heater off during winter. I wait until the forecast is for 3 hot days in August/September and then turn the heat pump on, take the thermal blanket off run it during the heat of the day and afternoon. When the sun drops off I put the blanket back on.

If the weather is cool/cold the heat pump is slow to heat the water, though it is still better than the old solar heater.

A little more complicated. We're currently building a pool and the heater should be running on it's own pump and suction/return pipes. Just turned the pool on for the first time yesterday and they haven't set it up this way and it is hooked up directly to the filter system.

A little more complicated. We're currently building a pool and the heater should be running on it's own pump and suction/return pipes. Just turned the pool on for the first time yesterday and they haven't set it up this way and it is hooked up directly to the filter system.

Oh dear, very expensive to change if they have to put extra plumbing in once they have backfilled around the pool.

Expert help required, I don't qualify :eek:

Back