email only

The other benefit of the phone is instantaneous response. A quick to and fro on the phone might take 2 minutes, whereas the equivalent email exchange may require 3 or 4 emails, which on a tiny smartphone keypad are a pain to send.
Not necessarily. When people phone, I'm inevitably out doing an errand, in the shower, etc. Because I loathe using the phone, I put it off and often don't return the call at all. :eek: If they'd emailed me, I'd have responded immediately. If I know the email address of the person who left a message, I email them and ask what they wanted.
must admit...and it seems like I am unique in some ways...as an agent I prefer email for a lot of the same reasons.

I can answer an email at anytime.
I can think about the information I want to provide and word it properly
I can double check prior to sending
I have a record of the conversation
Exactly. I think when we had no option but to use the phone, then it was a useful communication tool. But now, when people can use email, I think using the phone is pretty rude. The caller assumes when you answer the phone that you can just drop everything to attend to what they want to talk about; it shows no respect for the fact that you have a life other than sitting around waiting for that person to call you. Calling also gives you no chance to think about your response.

Phones should be kept for catch-ups between friends who want to have a long chat, liaising a meeting (hey, I'm near the Myer, where are you? - though even then I'd probably text), and for true emergencies (ie calling an ambulance). Nearly every business communication should be handled via email.
For example, if a property has been sitting around for a while and the agent wants to get rid of it, to tempt you into making an offer they could disclose that the vendor is in financial trouble, the sale is due to marriage break up, the vendor has already signed up a new property to purchase etc. and I doubt an agent would put this in writing.
They wouldn't put it in writing because it's not true; it's a tactic to try and make you feel like there's a bargain to be had. ;)

They wouldn't put it in writing because it's not true; it's a tactic to try and make you feel like there's a bargain to be had. ;)

Not sure how appearing desperate and encouraging low offers helps them if the vendor is not in a hurry to sell and is after a good price. Like I said, I'm not overly experienced and haven't come across this personally, but it makes sense to me that the agent might disclose more than they should if it's not in writing, especially if the market is slow.

a tactic to try and make you feel like there's a bargain to be had. ;)

...exactly....and as most Buyers do absolutely bugger all research before they purchase, other than look at the asking price and listen what the REA is babbling on about, that tactic usually works a treat.

As long as they "feel" good, and are "happy"....then no harm done. Notch another one up for the Seller and their REA, who is now emboldened that the tactic works most of the time.

Simply wait for the next chump walking in, and viola....multiple sales and the REA is heading off to the big gala night put on by his agency as the top salesperson for the group.

I always phone RE agents. They are wonderful blabbermouths. One just has to sort the rubbish from the bits of gold about their client's private business.

Back