Europe in the summertime

So i'm heading over to Europe in July, which is right in the middle of their summer and high tourist season.

Current itinerary looks roughly like this:

1 week in Morocco
1 week in Spain
3-4 days in France
7-10 days in Italy
3-4 days in Germany
3-4 days in London, then fly home

I haven't really done a lot of research as of yet, so i'm still deciding on exactly what to do and which places to visit within these countries. does anyone who has been to these countries have any tips?

I've only been to London on this list.

In England, travelling around London on the subway is very easy, but once you go outside a certain range of distance, it all becomes privately run and owned rail lines and gets very expensive.

Two places we went to that were good were Brighton Beach about 1 hour by train, and the city of Bath.

Bath is a must see; it's an ancient city built in Roman times. It is about an hour and a half train ride from memory, and there are numerous tours you can do around it.

Of course, you should do the normal touristy things like Buckingham Palace, the changing of the guard, the Cathedrals, Tower Bridge, Millennium wheel, Leicester Square.

The type of trip you're doing may be best to rent a car; especially for once you get to Spain.

Security these days in the airports (at least here in the USA and no doubt Europe is the same) is a nightmare.

Allow an hour extra for getting through the security checks at every flight. :mad:

It's moronic; you have a crowd of perhaps 500 people all lined up waiting to go through the security gates, plus many other travelers and airport staff wandering around in close proximity. But a suicide bomber could calmly walk into the security line, detonate a bomb and take out a thousand people no worries.

Wear easy to get off shoes (thongs or lace-less shoes), wear few clothes as they will make you take off jackets and coats, don't have any sort of creams or tubes or bottles of stuff in your carry on luggage as they'll make you throw it out. Pack them all in your check-in luggage.

So i'm heading over to Europe in July, which is right in the middle of their summer and high tourist season.

Current itinerary looks roughly like this:

1 week in Morocco
1 week in Spain
3-4 days in France
7-10 days in Italy
3-4 days in Germany
3-4 days in London, then fly home

I haven't really done a lot of research as of yet, so i'm still deciding on exactly what to do and which places to visit within these countries. does anyone who has been to these countries have any tips?

Of course you could spend years travelling these countries, but depending on your interests here are a few of my suggestions:

Morocco - sorry, never been there.

Spain - the South is interesting because of the mix between the Christian and Islamic traditions. I loved Granada. If you're interested in the countryside as well then Granada is a good base to get to the Sierra Nevada too (although there probably won't be much snow up there in July). Or the Pyrenees up North is beautiful, but you need a car to appreciate it.

France - I've only spent a couple of weeks in France and I never really connected with it. So no suggestions from me. Although, I just realised...July, France, Le Tour! :D (sorry, I'm a bike freak).

Italy - Florence and Rome are both amazing, both for their museums, architecture, and history, as well as the vibe. Food is amazing. I love Italy. But in July you're going to be absolutely overrun with American college students on their summer holiday <<shudder>>. Maybe it's best you head for the countryside! :)

Germany - I've only spent a week or so in Berlin, which is great if you're interested in WWII. We did a walking tour with a guy who worked in British intelligence during the cold war - his stories left us breathless. Come to think of it, most of my good memories of Europe come from walking tours - there's usually some in every city you come across, so I'd recommend you find some that interest you and do them if you have the energy. They're usually fairly cheap too, sometimes you get unlucky with a boring guide, but mostly well worth it. And if you're in Berlin and you like museums then the Pergamon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pergamon_Museum) is a must if you like that sort of thing :).

London - with only 3-4 days you can exhaust yourself with the tourist things or shopping. As LA has suggested, getting out of London to somewhere like Bath (or Oxford, etc) could be a good day trip and give a different perspective. You could be lucky and find there's a great concert or show that interests you that is on at the time you're there. If someone asked me to recommend one thing to do in London then it has to be the British Museum. It's essentially the history of the world (from a European perspective!) in one building . It's really the only thing I miss about London (we lived near London for a couple of years). Next on my list is the British Library (there's usually some interesting displays/exhibits etc), but I'm a bit weird when it comes to books :eek:

John.

Sounds fantastic Rickardo.

I'm actually heading over to Europe in late May-early June.

Only going for 3 weeks though and not doing Morocco or Spain.

I'm going through an organised tour, then finding my own way to Berlin for a few nights (will see KISS play there, yay), then getting down to Friedrichschaffen (part of Germany) for a few nights. I've always been fascinated with Zeppelins so have organised a trip on one in Friedrichschaffen.

Wish I was spending as much time as yourself overseas...maybe next time.

Have a great trip.

Regards
Marty

Sounds good!

Maybe you can arrange all Ryanair flights and use the local busses and trains to get about.

You can fly

Stanstead - Paris

Paris to Rome (travel around Italy, Go to Rome)

Milan - Zaragoza(Travel around Spain, highly recommend Andalucia region, there's an express train Madrid to Seville in 2.5hrs...Spanish airline also does cheap internal flights). Make you way to Morocco.

Marakesh - Frankfurt

Berlin - London

There's only 5 flights there so it shouldn't be pricey. In Italy its quick and efficient to to use the train.

Hi

On our trips around:

Morocco we liked Fez and Marrakesh
Spain - Madrid, Cordoba and Alhambra, Granada * (not to mention the tapas bars everywhere!!!)
France - Paris (haven't seen much else of France)
Italy Florence, Venice, Toscana, Rome

* Note that now it is not so easy just to turn up at a museum or place of interest in Europe and buy a ticket and go in - when we went to see Alhambra in Granada a few years ago, we had to book our tickets a few days in advance at a branch of the BBV Bank in Spain.. you just mentioned the day and the time you wanted, they checked on their computer if this was OK as they allow only a certain number of people to enter Alhambra within a given time, usually half an hour - this means that the place is not overrun at certain times of the day and once you are inside you can spend as long as you like there...

Also for the museums in Florence, check on the internet first about booking tickets to get in. I know for the Last Supper in Milano, advance online booking is also required.

For France, we were able to obtain something like a Museum Pass through the Austrian equivalent of NRMA (if you are in NSW) which allowed you, for example, to bypass the kilometre long queue waiting to get into the Musee d'Orsay in Paris. I think this pass had to be obtained outside France.

If you haven't done much research yet, I would suggest you buy the latest Lonely Planet guides on those places you want to visit and read them thoroughly before you start travelling.....

Have fun... there is just sooooo much to see here in Europe...

ciao for now

Ann:):):)

BV,

I'm trying to keep costs down, so will most likely fly on low cost carriers or take bus/rail where possible.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

Rickardo

If you are young and with no kids then train could a good option as it will allow you to sleep while you travel and you will save some money on accomodation.

How many people are travelling with you?
As an alternative you could also to rent a car as that gives you a lot more flexibility not only because you will be able to see places you won't be able to get to without a car but also because if you like a place and would like to stay longer you can.

If you are flying your departure dates will most likely be fixed.

Check flight prices to other European destinations just in case they are cheaper than going through London,
Is it cheaper to get a flight to Morrocco or to Southern Europe and then take off from there?

How are you getting to Morrocco?

Another thing to consider.
In summer there are many charter flights out of London to various holiday destinations around Europe. Check those out too.

Cheers

BV,

Yes i am young and single, so there's no kids to worry about. I am travelling with 2 friends, but one is only coming for 2 weeks. Due to the requirements of this person the first 2 weeks of the trip are fixed, as in we're flying into Morocco, spending about a week there, then heading to Spain and spending almost a week there, then we need to get to Paris where she is flying out of.

My other friend and I are continuing on through Paris to Italy, then to Germany and finally a few days in London before we fly back home. So the last 3 weeks of the trip are pretty flexible. I'd like to keep my options open but i think during the high season in Europe i need to be a bit more prepared and get things booked.

I've thought about renting a car and this might be an option.

annE,

Thanks for the tip about pre booking certain museums, i wasn't aware of that. I will definitely be getting myself some updated lonely planet guides this week, at the moment i'm working off the Europe lonely planet published in 2002..

Rickardo

If you are young and with no kids then train could a good option as it will allow you to sleep while you travel and you will save some money on accomodation.

How many people are travelling with you?
As an alternative you could also to rent a car as that gives you a lot more flexibility not only because you will be able to see places you won't be able to get to without a car but also because if you like a place and would like to stay longer you can.

If you are flying your departure dates will most likely be fixed.

Check flight prices to other European destinations just in case they are cheaper than going through London,
Is it cheaper to get a flight to Morrocco or to Southern Europe and then take off from there?

How are you getting to Morrocco?

Another thing to consider.
In summer there are many charter flights out of London to various holiday destinations around Europe. Check those out too.

Cheers

Checked out Eurail passes? http://www.eurail.com.au/ They are a fantastic way to get around Europe and you get a better deal if two or more are travelling together.

Spain - Montserrat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montserrat_(mountain) is a great short trip from Barcelona. Once up there, you can also do a terrific walk along the top which looks back over Barcelona. Amazing!

Paris - eat nutella and banana crepes! Visit antique and food markets. Walk the Rose Line. Drink wine by the Seine. Visit Notre Dame.

Italy - Rome and Venice are top of my list. Visit Pompeii and climb Mt Vesuvius.

Germany - Munich is delightful! Must have a beer or three at Hofbrau House. Take a bike ride tour around town. For a more sombre experience - take a train out to Dachau. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachau_concentration_camp

London - There is soooo much to do here, it really depends on what you are interested in. Explore ancient medieval places? Drink beer? Gawk at royalty? Shopping? Theatre? I would head to Edinburgh for 4 days over London though!

*sigh* I am deeply envious of your upcoming journey.

If you're looking to save some money, try spending some time in Greece. Cost of holidaying/living is much less than some of the other countries you mentioned.
Have a look at Easyjet's website. We found them pretty good airline and cheap way to hop from place to place in europe.

Hi Rickardo,
Italy is fantastic.
Vatican City is an absolute must once in your life whether you are religious or not. But be prepared in peak tourist season for a long wait. When you go through the Vatican Musuem,Sistine Chapel and St Peters Basillica. Then stand out the front of the Basillica looking out at St Peters square it is truly awesome.
Colleseum,Catacombs,Trevi Fountain are all amazing. My favorite though was the Pantheon an engineering masterpiece. The ray of light through the 9mt hole in the perfect dome ceiling was magic.
Florence is a must see. As is Venice particularly the St Marks square at night. Assisi is also fantastic.
One word of warning though pickpockets are unbelievable in Rome. We were warned time and time again but we still had 3 travelling companions lose there wallets. Generally because they had a lapse in concentration and put their wallet in their backpocket instead of giving it back to the wife or putting in their front pockets.
If you get the chance Turkey is sensational as well. Grand bazaar is something else you will not see markets like it. Apple tea is very tasty. Blue Mosque is a must if go there.:D

Regards Bill

Back