Extensions/add on's un-approved by council

Hi,

Looking at purchasing a property that has had a lot of add on's and extensions over the years from different owners - some of which looks very DIY.
What happens if we investigate and find that some or all of the add ons aren't council approved? Where do we go from there?

Thank you

Hi,

Looking at purchasing a property that has had a lot of add on's and extensions over the years from different owners - some of which looks very DIY.
What happens if we investigate and find that some or all of the add ons aren't council approved? Where do we go from there?

Thank you

To the next property - because unless this place is going to be worth months of building inspections, approvals, holding costs, and then a credible yield including the compensation of growth from the other headaches listed, or development approval.....then its just not worth it.

pinkboy

Hi Pinkboy,

Thanks for the reply :)
So what happens if we were to purchase the property and not get any of the un-approved add on's approved and we just left as is?

My house has got that.

Not unusual in older places in my area. I have been here four years. Nothing has happened.

But I intend knocking down within the year so it doesn't worry me.

Council may not do anything, they could ask you to retrospective submit a DA hoping it complies with regs or ask to remove it. What you also need to be aware of is insurance purposes if it catches fire then you might not be insured.

And if you look to sell a few years down the track, a lot of buyers won't touch it.
Of course, this problem would be factored into the purchase price now.
It would be good to get the place at a discount because of the unapproved additions, and then get them approved - if possible.
If you have your heart set on it, would it be an option to pay a local private certifier to give you an opinion on whether the additions will get through council?

Sorry to jump into topic, but do all extensions need to be approved by council? Like adding balcony and laundry?

A couple of thoughts based on my experiences.

Ill start off with a real conversation i had in a meeting with my solicitor over a semi-recent property purchase during conveyancing.

Solicitor - as a solicitor, I have to tell you - these are unapproved structures on the property (lists about 3 things)
Me - damn, ok.....
Solicitor - ....
Me - ummm does any of that matter?
Solicitor - No
Me - but like...what if the council finds out or inspects it or something?
Solicitor - *Laughs*

Will the council care? Every council is different. In 99% of cases, they will never find out about it. In some areas where my IP's are, it would be literally amazing to find a place that *doesnt* have something unapproved on it. Vendors dont care, RE agents dont care, Solicitors dont care, Buyers dont care. Does the council care? Well, Maybe. Do they come knocking asking to inspect your house to make sure it meets building code in every respect? I think we all know the answer to that.

As Simon said above. His place has got unapproved stuff and hes been there for 4 years. The sun still comes up each day.

The only reason for any concern whatsoever is that if the place is a rental and has got extra bedrooms that are unapproved, and the place burns down/someone dies. Couple of quick thoughts on this - (aside from the fact that if that happens, you've probably got bigger problems on your hands than the insurance claim) You can negate the risk of fire by replacing any halogen lights with LED's, getting an electrician to inspect the wiring, even providing the tenants with a couple of small fire extinguishers if you're really keen. I'll let you do the maths on the chance of your house burning down after that.

There are hundreds of sales that go on every day around the country that include unapproved structures, and in the vast, vast, majority of cases, no one bats an eyelid. In a few years if you choose to sell, you'll maybe lose (max) 5% of potential buyers who are absolute sticklers. Its not worth worrying about.

Notes
- I'm not condoning anything illegal, nor do I think unapproved structures are a good thing, I'm just saying how it is in the real world.
- There are exceptions to every rule.
Attn: Nem - No, depends on the council - many things don't need council approval. Unfortunately, some councils policies seem to be so ridiculously hard to comprehend that you need a translator (i.e private certifier).

tl;dr - IMO, Dont worry about it.

Negotiate a discount based on the cost to have the structures approved, that's what I did. Now I've just got to get around to getting the sunroom approved with glass windows instead of mesh.

The other thing to consider is if the addition is impacting the neighbors or easily seen by people walking pass. To be, illegal carport is more riskier than a laundry. It could be that the neighbors have been battling with it with the previous owner and all of a sudden, it will become your problem.

My only thought is that if you were planning on doing any extensions yourself you would be opening up a can of worms which will probably require approval of existing structures.

Back