Federal Leadership challenge called

It appears to be on next Tuesday.

Let us hope that this is resolved and the country moves forward. Even Julia Gillard was able to get things done in a hung parliament.

I'm sure it will get resolved - one way or the other. BTW anyone notice how this process is being handled much better than Rudd's demise? Everyone knows the Libs position in the polls, on top of two State Liberal governments going the way of the dodo. The air needs to be cleared and this is the way to do it - the process can work if it's done professionally.

If the same thing needed to be done to a Labor leader now, their new rules have boxed themselves in to going down with the incumbent leader at the next election.

A lesson perhaps, not to promise to remove a major source of government revenue (CT), at the same time as promise a return to surplus, at the same time as promise not to cut anything.

This "magic pudding" was sold to the electorate on the basis that it could be achieved just by being "competent". Clearly, something had to give and it looks to be the Prime Minister's career...

A lesson perhaps, not to promise to remove a major source of government revenue (CT), at the same time as promise a return to surplus, at the same time as promise not to cut anything.
Magic wored there is "promise".

I can't believe that this era of Pollies hasn't worked out that you simply cannot make a promise.

The best you can do with all honesty is to outline a plan, and with measures on the drawing board to implement the plan.

We've all seen how the economic climate can change very quickly - and much of it out of the control of the incumbent Gubbmint, so they need to get ahead of the game, point that out when starting the Election Campaign and go from there.

But like always; we still struggle to get anyone in the top echelon who are connected to the real world of average people.

We need business entrepreneurs and successes; (excluding Clive Palmer :eek:) - not career Union Hacks and ex-lawyers who have only know the inside of a classroom and then the Party room.

Having said all that; I think the Libs have done a decent job so far. Could they have done better? We will never know, but they certainly haven't been as bad as Labor were not that long ago.

Where they have come unstuck is in not having the ability to sell their plan to the public very well, and not having the foresight to plan in a possible collapse in the mining boom, dollar collapse (loss of revenues) and a public who is only concerned about their own here and now.

Last edited:
The problem is, yes, there is a spill but will Turnbull throw his hat in the last minute.

Id say if it did come down to voting it would be 60-40 or 70-30 with Turnbull winning and Bishop as deputy.

Which ever way it goes it's going to have explosive consequences in the unseen and unknown,all ex union Bill has to do is just sit back and say sfa..

Which ever way it goes it's going to have explosive consequences in the unseen and unknown,all ex union Bill has to do is just sit back and say sfa..

Being at the right time, right place, talk about luck...

Shorten would stuggle had it been against Turnbull first time...

A politician's job is to get re elected. Abbott is in their way of being re elected. They'll get rid of him for their own benefit. It reminds me of watching 'survivor' on TV.

I'm sure it will get resolved - one way or the other

For the next few months.

If Abbott is de throned, then that's it - the victor will lead the party to the next election (and possibly call an early election).

If TA remains PM and continues on his current path then another spill will happen in 3,6,9,12 months.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/02/06/explainer-how-does-liberal-leadership-spill-work-0 - here's a decent explanation of how a spill happens in the lib party. I don't think it mentions that it's up to the leader whether it's a secret, or public ballot (I think). Of course if you were the leader you'd want to know your enemies, so conduct a non secret ballot.

It's not all straight forward:
1. Abbott knows he has the numbers so get's two stooges to spill, doesn't get challenged and leadership issues are out of the press for a few months.
2. A contender, Turnbull/Bishop/whoever thinks they may have the numbers so gets two stooges to call a spill and see what happens. They may not actually have to show their hands.
3. It's a simple replacement of the leader.
4,5,6 - etc

Last edited:
Abbott should be given a chance to be judged by the electorate on his performance. Perhaps if he survives the spill motion he should push for a double dissolution on the issues of his choosing to reestablish his authority over the backbench rabble and those leaking to the media.... Just a thought.

I can vividly remember that whenever anyone asked John Howard how much longer he would be PM, his response was always "as long as the Liberal party want me".

Tony Abbot's response to the same question is "it's the people that hire and the people who should fire". Basically telling elected Liberal members of parliament to get stuffed - he should be able to do whatever he likes - "we aren't Labor" etc, regardless of the damage he is doing to the Party.

I wonder how they like that attitude? It says a lot about the man...

Back