What in the hell are we doing in Iraq ?

So, enlighten us all please, what should we do?

What is the solution to the Middle East mess?

And will this solution stand the test of time?

Looking forward to the non extreme right wing garbage solution.

Let's have it.

Dunno, still wondering why Iraq was initially invaded after Al Qaeda (in Afghanistan) attacked America on 9/11

l've always thought it was just so that Bush could say he was and appear to be doing something when he couldn't get the other guy.
But any one could've told him that was going to open a whole new can of worms and maybe for decades to come . Not even the Americans wanted him to go there.

Let's have it.

l don't think there is one now after Bush opening that final can and icing the cake.
And it's ludicrous some people here saying others approve of the horror that's been going on , of course they don't .
But , if you've seen that latest on the news today , "we", are now officially a target and , our country may never be the same ever again.

Personally , l've always thought even with Iraq , if he must have done something they should've sent in a small team to pick off what's his face.
Instead the country is in tatters and that will go on for decades now and dragging the rest of us in with it. Haters can openly bread their filth there now and it will go on for yrs.
And the same with Bin which is basically what got him in the end.

What the answer is now with this mess , God only knows . But l do think Abotts' effed us all with that mouth of his and the way he has handled this .

Let's have it.

Just cant see a solution without the involvement of ground forces, because they will just blend in with the civilians as the other loony outfit did during the last decade.
But it wont be our ground forces. Most likely, it will be our mid-eastern allies that's will have to send in the troops, backed by western air power where necessary, and also western intelligence and recon data.
Whatever the case may be its going to take a very long time to get this under control.
In the old days, it used to be the old fellas that had messed up views, and the youngsters had more liberal views and would not resort to this stuff. However, these guys are all quite young, and that is a real worry...cant just contain it with force till a generation passes away.

Apply sanctions against Israel, similar to what was done against South Africa, which eventually worked. This will help free up trade and investment in the region. With that comes increased prosperity and employment, and eventually more stability.

Let's have it.
There is no solution. These people have been throwing rocks at each other for eons.

Many folks would say; "Let them all go for it and sort it out amongst themselves"...

Sounds fine by me, however, then all the Genocide and beheadings and rapes and other really high intelligence, modern world humanity frolicking that these idiots seem to love spending their whole miserable lives doing.

Now that we have such extensive and immediate news coverage of everything world-wide, the daily horror is on our breakfast cereal.

The rest of the intelligent world can't stand by and let that occur.

So, then we are left with no choice but to go in and exterminate vermin.

Last edited:
There is no solution.

Many folks would say; "Let them all go for it and sort it out amongst themselves"...
Sounds fine by me, however, then all the Genocide and beheadings and rapes and other really high intelligence, modern world humanity frolicking that these idiots seem to love spending their whole miserable lives doing.

The rest of the intelligent world can't stand by and let that occur.
So, then we are left with no choice but to go in and exterminate vermin.

+1. However, we must not have an externally imposed situation. We cannot change people's deep seated beliefs especially by force. The force alone will be viewed as an alien intrusion and destruction and instead legitimise the status quo. It starts of a narrative downstream of compensation and future Western guilt of the inevitable retarded infrastructure and development in the region. If the region does not want a solution - shown by a lack of initiative and commitment, it signals to the world that there may be significant acceptance of the status quo, albeit civil war. Australia should not go wholeheartedly to pursue a sort of long-term solution without the UN and the regional powers involved, besides Australia has its own domestic priorities. External involvements must be measured, address cogent needs, broadly accepted, never act alone and consistent with Australia's constitutional ideals.

Once again , Australia has been singled out today.
For the minute bit we can contribute , do you think that is a fair price ?
And there are ways but then there are ways ! Me , l think making a big song and dance when your just acting basically like little big man , is bloody stupidity that will just ruin the country and drag us into crap where we had no need to be.

But that's just one of many opinions l guess and ain't gonna change a thing .

The sad truth is that USA has evolved over the last century. Notice its hesitancy in WW1 (which I question), WW2 (which they should have joined sooner). Subsequent conflicts (which I question).

Now USA is almost the arbiter, and yet its question of judgement has increased massively since WWII

It waited because it needed the empires to basically bankrupt themselves fighting the war before they bought their industry to bear. They also used to have a lot of isolationists, now they've turned into "Team America: World Police"

The Saudi's are one of the west' key allies. They have supported America during Iraq and Afghanistan [logistics, use of land to launch air strikes etc...]. Most of it is back door stuff and not publically available, but believe me that region would be in much more strife if it weren't for them.

Sorry, can't agree less. They're playing a duplicitous game, and are a horrific nation to align with. The sham trials and the like they conduct on their own citizens are barbaric

Dunno, still wondering why Iraq was initially invaded after Al Qaeda (in Afghanistan) attacked America on 9/11

Because it worked for Bush Snrs popularity ratings, and his spin doctors said so.

The unfortunate thing was the Americans put people like Rumsfeld in charge, instead of someone like Powell who had credibility and brains. Powell's solution was to remove the policy-makers, but allow the low level Ba'athists to remain in their positions to retain stability. They mostly weren't interested in anything except feeding their families, and would have been kept on side. Instead, they were all prevented from participating and ostracized.

Because it worked for Bush Snrs popularity ratings, and his spin doctors said so.

The unfortunate thing was the Americans put people like Rumsfeld in charge, instead of someone like Powell who had credibility and brains. Powell's solution was to remove the policy-makers, but allow the low level Ba'athists to remain in their positions to retain stability. They mostly weren't interested in anything except feeding their families, and would have been kept on side. Instead, they were all prevented from participating and ostracized.

Bush Jr- President
Donald Rumsfeld- Defense secy
Condi Rice- Secy of state

What a combo!!!

From memory, I think powell [ the only one who was really good in my view] resigned at some point during bush jr's reign. Cant remember if it was before going into Iraq or shortly after.

Let's have it.

we should stop messing with it, because every time western world gets involved it becomes even worse.

there wouldn't be ISIS if west didn't support civil war in Syria.

we should stop messing with it, because every time western world gets involved it becomes even worse.

there wouldn't be ISIS if west didn't support civil war in Syria.

Yup, that is right.
Look at all the places that western power have intervened

So what makes you think it will be different this time around

There is a reason why the US goes into war. Ask a republican and you'll get the answer. War is good for for the American economy. E.g. It brings out investment for big ticket items (planes, bombs, etc). They are certainly not going into war purely for the sake of liberating 'troubled' areas. That's why the Bushy boys were quick to hop to it.

I don't know if other Allied nations have the same effect on the economy but as far as we're concerned, I think it may have the opposite effect. Don't know for sure!

As far as the ISIS threat goes, I'm not worried about it. I'm not a fan of Abbott but his strong stance on security is probably a good thing for the so called ISIS threat. Not happy that we're is going into war either, but as long as the government meets Australia's needs first, so be it.

Once again , Australia has been singled out today.
For the minute bit we can contribute , do you think that is a fair price ?
And there are ways but then there are ways ! Me , l think making a big song and dance when your just acting basically like little big man , is bloody stupidity that will just ruin the country and drag us into crap where we had no need to be.

But that's just one of many opinions l guess and ain't gonna change a thing .

Gee - hope you're not the only person around if I'm trapped in a burning car.

Just because doing something "could" lead to personal threat doesn't mean one should just stand by and let horror occur

Gee - hope you're not the only person around if I'm trapped in a burning car.

Just because doing something "could" lead to personal threat doesn't mean one should just stand by and let horror occur

so far the helpers have a proven track record of causing bigger horror, than there would be if they just stood by.

so using your analogy - their help consistently leads to all car occupants dying while the helpers are trying to save the trapped one

Back