What in the hell are we doing in Iraq ?

What the hell is all the song and dance, rush and panic with Abbot and moron media about getting "us" , involved in Iraq ? And like " yesterday " .

And this wk it's moved from just basic sideline and support stuff onto some crazy panic rush countdown thing with getting a few of our planes out there and bombing . What the hell is all that about ?
Even the media is basically doing some mad countdown thing every time you turn on a news , as if we're all gonna win tattslotto or something. It isn't good news !

Should we even be there let alone making this sorta spectical of ourselves and our involvement ?
Even Obama did a pres meet the other day and mentioned one country , only one - US , that will go out all over the world . WTH ?

Abbot is making the target Howard turned us into look like kinder garden but yet why ?

What do you think of all this and , don't we have l think the highest muslem population in the world living only a few hrs north.

I believe the whole world needs to fight these loonies, but the level of involvement is the issue.

The first Aust air mission didn't fire a shot - imagine the waste of money that was.

What level should we be involved? I don't know

What the hell is all the song and dance, rush and panic with Abbot and moron media about getting "us" , involved in Iraq ? And like " yesterday " .

And this wk it's moved from just basic sideline and support stuff onto some crazy panic rush countdown thing with getting a few of our planes out there and bombing . What the hell is all that about ?
Even the media is basically doing some mad countdown thing every time you turn on a news , as if we're all gonna win tattslotto or something. It isn't good news !

Should we even be there let alone making this sorta spectical of ourselves and our involvement ?
Even Obama did a pres meet the other day and mentioned one country , only one - US , that will go out all over the world . WTH ?

Abbot is making the target Howard turned us into look like kinder garden but yet why ?

What do you think of all this and , don't we have l think the highest muslem population in the world living only a few hrs north.

62% support action against ISIL, 25% oppose. The remainder are uncommitted.
http://www.news.com.au/national/maj...newspoll-reveals/story-fncynjr2-1227052193867

You are obviously in the 25% camp.

So lets roll back 10 decades for a wander down memory lane.

Germany invades neighboring countries and pillages / tortures them. The "Allies" all go in to help.

Assuming internet was invented, would you have made a thread saying "What the hell are we doing in Turkey?"

If so, how is what ISIS is doing any better / worse that Hitler? Or do you consider that type of treatment of other humans acceptable?

Last edited:

Due to our bi-lateral agreements with the USA when they ask for coalition partners we comply. If Labor was in Government they would do the same.

This mess began with 'Deputy' Howard getting us involved in Bush's dishonest war........

Time and time again, we have been lied to by Uncle Sam. Does anyone remember the contrived 'Gulf of Tonkin resolution?" That bit of nonsense got us into the Vietnam quagmire, which cost us almost 500 lives. Not to mention hundreds more ex-soldiers who took their own lives once they returned.

Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddafi knew how to deal with ISIS and its various manifestations. Sadly we got rid of Hussein and Gaddaffi. Pity - they were less evil that what we have to deal with now.

Not happy Johnny....

So lets roll back 5 decades for a wander down memory lane.

Germany invades neighboring countries and pillages / tortures them. The "Allies" all go in to help.

Assuming internet was invented, would you have made a thread saying "What the hell are we doing in Turkey?"

If so, how is what ISIS is doing any better / worse that Hitler? Or do you consider that type of treatment of other humans acceptable?

Dave, I think you have the wars mixed up mate. :)

We fought in Turkey in WW1 ten decades ago. Five decades ago was the 60s with us fighting in Indonesia and Vietnam.

It's hypocritical, why stand up to one terrorist state killing thousands of innocents (Isis) and not the other (Israel) ?

This mess began with 'Deputy' Howard getting us involved in Bush's dishonest war........

Time and time again, we have been lied to by Uncle Sam. Does anyone remember the contrived 'Gulf of Tonkin resolution?" That bit of nonsense got us into the Vietnam quagmire, which cost us almost 500 lives. Not to mention hundreds more ex-soldiers who took their own lives once they returned.

Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddafi knew how to deal with ISIS and its various manifestations. Sadly we got rid of Hussein and Gaddaffi. Pity - they were less evil that what we have to deal with now.

Not happy Johnny....

Shanghai, we should never have gone into Iraq in the first place. But I believe that all the leaders--Bush, Howard and the British--were fully aware that there were no 'weapons of mass destruction'. I agree with you: once you go in their to kill one dictator, you remove the natural balance and end up with even bigger problems. What's the saying about people getting the government they deserve?

But now, with ISIL, what do you do? Do you put a fence around the Middle East and let them work it out?

Or do you consider that type of treatment of other humans acceptable?

I look forward to our impending invasion of Saudi Arabia. After all, in an ordinary month, they do more public beheadings than ISIL has done to date. Oh wait...

As a civilised people we are helping those who are suffering horrific and unimaginable abuse at the hands of evil (and inhuman) thugs.

I, for one, couldn't sit by and watch this happen without supporting my government to do what they can. Sure Gaddafi and Hussein were keeping the current monsters in check - but they too were no better in their actions, they were just better in keeping their attocities secret

After all - despite where we live, what colour our skin, what faith we choose to follow - we are all humans.

p.s. I don't agree with Israel either but that is a different issue atm

I couldn't bring myself to go over there and fight. But definitely support any of the brave soldiers that choose to go over there.

I think we are very spoilt with the peace we enjoy in this country.

As an atheist all these religious wars make me shake my head. Definitely fighting a losing battle when your opponent wants to kill you because their invisible friend told them to.

Because the Iraqi government asked us for help.

I'd like to think that if we were ever in trouble the rest of the world would come to our assistance too.

So lets roll back 10 decades for a wander down memory lane.

There is a quote from German General Ervin Rommel after the Australian "Desert-Rats"repulsed the Afrika Corps in Tobruk in mid January 1941,
General Rommel said,"Give me two divisions of Australians and I will conquer the World",,very hard to compare Hitler too ISIS,or it's like the "IRA and the KKK"..

Back