Feeling the pinch? Cost of living

Do you even get part A/B if you earn more than $80k or whatever number Julia thought was 'rich'?

I recall that you pay through the nose for kids under two years as the cater/child ratio is higher. They are possibly paying for extended hours as well (preschool is 9:30 am - 2:30/3:00 pm so not a 7:00 - 6:00pm scenario. All at extra cost.

The child care rebate isn't means tested. A flat 50pc off childcare fees up to a certain dollar figure spend. She wouldn't be eligible fog any means tested benefits.

My husband and I earn close to nearly $245,000 a year and really struggle with the cost of living raising our three and two-year-olds, she said. The reality is we will never be able to break the cost of living cycle to buy our own house.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:rolleyes:

There's a thread for that - SOOKY-LA-LA.

Hey Bayview,i have tears,thank you!Lmao

That article should've definitely have gone in the joke thread.

My heart bleeds for you, mate...

$200 eating out per week for a single man sounds actually on the lower side. Thats just under 30 dollars per day for three meals.

A main dinner meal at the local rsl costs about 20 dollars. Breakfast including coffee, toast, eggs and ham can cost 12 dollars at local cafe. So lunch is out.

So a more realistic budget for a single guy eating out every day should be about $300 per week and if you splurge occasionally, would be more. And this is my main personal expense.

I wouldn't have thought that for a dual income family $245k would be all that high? Most families I know would be on close to that if both adults worked.

Or am I just out of touch and hang with the 'elite'? :eek:

Scares me though that they honestly believe they will never be able to afford a house on that level of income. They simply won't try, or research what they are doing wrong.

I did the 'study' which was on the link. Interestingly enough for one of the questions which was "what are you changing to be able to cope" there was no option for "earning more". :roll eyes:

Sad reflection of our times maybe?

Blacky

so roughly $50k/pa disposable income. Which is about $70k/pre tax.

I also note Average incomes in the ACT, Western Australia and the Northern Territory were well above the national average. (Im WA centric - so my view maybe biased).

It also includes lazy dole bludger types pulling in $35k in govt handouts. If you only include "working" Australians the average would be much higher. :eek::p

Blacky

Amen to that brother!

When you consider the average income is around $50k/yr, it's embarrassing what these people come out with.

No it isn't, it is around 50% more than that at 75k or so.

I do agree that these idiots need a wake up call. Making 5k a week and claiming to be on struggle street

I wouldn't have thought that for a dual income family $245k would be all that high? Most families I know would be on close to that if both adults worked.

Blacky
The average full-time person is not earning close to $100k per year.

Don't forget - this site is now mostly populated with folks in their mid to late 20's, Professional and on high incomes. Those sorts of folks usually hangout with folks of a similar ilk.

So, it is easy here in the fishbowl for folks to assume everyone is earning close to six figures these days. They are not. The smaller percentage are.

In most family households both parents cannot work full-time if they have kids in school/kindergarten/day care..

I have no doubt that there are some households where this happens, but it would be the overwhelming minority - we know loads and loads of families and I know of none where this occurs.

If it did, I shake my head because one wage is probably going mostly towards child-minding fees, which prompts me to also think; these folks would hardly ever see their kids, so why bother having kids then, if all you do is live to work to earn more dollars but have no family interaction?

In our world, most of my wife's colleagues are nurses and doctors. Most have kids.

They do what we do; work opposite each other as much as possible to have maximum time with kids and less fees.

In this scenario, it is almost impossible to both work full-time, and it is also very damaging for the marriage, and mentally.

The average household income in Australia is $918/week.
It is only an average, and misrepresents reality.

10 teachers earning $45k per year (depends on hours, experience, type of school etc - I just picked this as an example for the argument - please don't start an argument about what teachers earn. I know what they earn - we have 3 kids under 13 years old.) is the same as one CEO of a medium size Company...probably not even close to one CEO? He/she had dragged the average waay up.

The point is; the average makes it look like everyone is earning loads of coin.

In reality; it is a pyramid with a small amount of folk earning huuuge money, with the majority earning not a lot. It's always been that way.

Every industry is the same and always has been.

The pointy-end incomes drag the average up.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:So why not make more money..... Gen Y has stuffed the economy or no one likes golf anymore?
Loads of folks still like and play it, but the playing patterns have changed in the last 20 years.

You can play golf on a laptop, why go for a walk in the park, hit a ball then chase it. Repeat.
Surely you jest, my good man? :eek: :D

That's what everyone who doesn't play golf thinks! :D

quote from http://mattcowgill.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/what-is-the-typical-australians-income-in-2013/

What is the typical Australian worker?s wages?
Among full-time workers, the average wage is $72 800 per year.
But remember ? the average (ie. the mean) gives a misleading
impression about what the typical worker earns. It is pushed
upwards by the large salaries of a small number of very high
income earners.
The median gives a more accurate sense of the typical worker?s
wages. If you earn the median salary, your wage is in the middle
of the distribution ? it?s higher than 50% of workers and lower
than the other 50%. Among full-time workers, the median was
$57 400 in August 2011, which is the most recent figure.
Even this figure, though, is a little higher than the typical
worker?s wage. That?s because it doesn?t include the 3.5 million
people who work part time. When you bring them into the fold,
the average wage drops to $56 300, and the median drops to
$46 900.

_------------

I think some people here have lost touch with reality. me and my wife are on about $70000 per year because my wife doesn't work and I work 4 days a week. The daily grind in my field was never going to make me rich, which is why I invest.

quote from http://mattcowgill.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/what-is-the-typical-australians-income-in-2013/

What is the typical Australian worker?s wages?
Among full-time workers, the average wage is $72 800 per year.
But remember ? the average (ie. the mean) gives a misleading
impression about what the typical worker earns. It is pushed
upwards by the large salaries of a small number of very high
income earners.
The median gives a more accurate sense of the typical worker?s
wages. If you earn the median salary, your wage is in the middle
of the distribution ? it?s higher than 50% of workers and lower
than the other 50%. Among full-time workers, the median was
$57 400 in August 2011, which is the most recent figure.
Even this figure, though, is a little higher than the typical
worker?s wage. That?s because it doesn?t include the 3.5 million
people who work part time. When you bring them into the fold,
the average wage drops to $56 300, and the median drops to
$46 900.

_------------

I think some people here have lost touch with reality. me and my wife are on about $70000 per year because my wife doesn't work and I work 4 days a week. The daily grind in my field was never going to make me rich, which is why I invest.
exactly,

I always find those average salary figures way too high,

the average degree educated person is going to be on about 70-80k give or take , the IT guns, engineersand the doctors, and lawyers obviously way higher,

plus anyone without degrees in retail, hospitality, secretaries, coles checkout people are all going to be on circa $50k

so whats the median now?? $57.1k does sound rather low to me

Back