Feeling the pinch? Cost of living

Another major reason for the high cost of living is the minimum wage. Earning $20-$30/ph on a normal shift and up to $50/ph for a check out attendant is outrageous. However, at least these people are working.

Blacky

The minimum wage is $16.87/hr and has been trending downwards proportionate to the median wage since the 90's.

As for permanent shop staff, it's $20.88/hr for a woollies attendant (Grade 2), +25% on a Saturday ($26.10/hr) and +50% ($31.32/hr) for a Sunday. Casual staff get higher loadings for weekends (presumably due to a deal struck between Woolies and the SDA). It's a modest amount for a job that requires modest skills.

As for permanent shop staff, it's $20.88/hr for a woollies attendant (Grade 2), +25% on a Saturday ($26.10/hr) and +50% ($31.32/hr) for a Sunday. Casual staff get higher loadings for weekends (presumably due to a deal struck between Woolies and the SDA). It's a modest amount for a job that requires modest skills.

For these rates I'd definitely consider going back to work at Big W parttime or casual. Was a night filler there for 8 years, and sales assistant for about 2. Very enjoyable work, and not bad $$ at all. Even got free Woollies shares as an employee bonus when they were valued at only $4.23 and held onto them right until only about 2 years ago. (Note... I should have continued to hold them!) Never mind!

No it isn't, it is around 50% more than that at 75k or so.

I do agree that these idiots need a wake up call. Making 5k a week and claiming to be on struggle street

According to the oecd average household disposable income is $49600. Where did you get your number?

And I probably should have used median, as that was more what I meant. That value also doesn't take in to account pensioners, who apparently drop the figure a further $10k or so, although a large number of them also tend to own their own homes.

Last edited:
In most family households both parents cannot work full-time if they have kids in school/kindergarten/day care..

I have no doubt that there are some households where this happens, but it would be the overwhelming minority - we know loads and loads of families and I know of none where this occurs.

If it did, I shake my head because one wage is probably going mostly towards child-minding fees, which prompts me to also think; these folks would hardly ever see their kids, so why bother having kids then, if all you do is live to work to earn more dollars but have no family interaction?

I did some very rough maths for someone I work with recently, and the numbers scared me. For two kids, using govt support and considering only the childcare costs, the second parent needs to earn $45k+ before they start earning. This is very agricultural maths, ignoring tax etc., but it's scary. Fortunately for them they're both on about $90k/yr, but still...

I did some very rough maths for someone I work with recently, and the numbers scared me. For two kids, using govt support and considering only the childcare costs, the second parent needs to earn $45k+ before they start earning. This is very agricultural maths, ignoring tax etc., but it's scary. Fortunately for them they're both on about $90k/yr, but still...

assuming thats correct,

they get to live in a decent house, have two kids, feed them, feed them selves, get governemtn support,

and they are netural at $45k, I dont think its too bad,

with the average wage being $55k was it? (in another thread, that means they are $10k pre tax ahead, they could get a deposit in 3 years, and one step closer to the great aussie dream!

Imagine if families didn't do everything backwards.

How about forgoing the expensive car rentals/loans and either buying something modest or using public transit.

Have the first house something affordable and a starter home.
Pick a partner that isn't 'high maintenance'.
Stop trying to keep up with the Jones, and maybe show your friends how to live a modest lifestyle and still have fun.

With this type of income $245K they could have paid off their house within a couple of years, and a parent could have worked or not worked when the babies came along.

It's amusing to me. Many here state how this family should be able to live easily within this income. However I get slagged off, when I live even a more modest lifestyle than many here...which is really the very same.
I feel very fortunate to know I could restrict our budget another 50% and still be happy.

Hell has officially frozen over, I completely agree with Kathryn

Lol...
Maybe it has.
We are still in summer here until 21 Sept.
On the news yesterday Calgary, Alberta had snow...after having a hot summer.

They interviewed a poor tourist, and Australian..who mentioned they were escaping winter and landed into this :)

Nowhere will hire you as a casual and give you full-time hours so the casual rate is irrelevant. Also, the penalty rate multiplier is inclusive of casual loading. They would rather be short staffed on a public holiday than pay someone not on youth wages to be there. My husband is working in retail while finishing his uni degree so I've had good exposure to this. Not to mention witholding of sick leave and all the other lucrative conditions.
nobody in their right mind wants a retail sales job
Back end of retail, is money to be made
warehouse Casual labourers
12 hour shifts, 6 days a week
stock pickers, forkies, loaders, yard shunt drivers, container unloaders, container loaders,
casual wage, ~$16 +25%
plus night shift loading +15%
plus site loadings; freezer 15%, overweight 25%;
plus overtime, every day after 7:36; 2:00 +50%, 2:24 +100%
plus an untaxable box/error bonus, 5c/box
the average for the young guys was 300+ boxes = $1080+ free money each week
the not worth keeping you, mark was <130 boxes/hour which is still $78/day
The younger blokes made fun of me for being old, and slow, I did 240/hour for 12 hours
Its easy to pick a lot of boxes, grocery stores get coke and such, in pallets, 96 boxes in one go.
if you worked every shift, you got paid 100 single hours plus pick bonus and kept ~2200/week
many single shift position filled by 2 blokes working 3 days each take home 50k in 2002
attachment.php
This bloke just picked 200 boxes in 5 minutes
bonus may now be taxable
its still a lot of money

great for a school leaver

Attachments

• pallet.jpg
    pallet.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
I guess a lot of what has been said confirmed my opinion. Firstly $245k is not all that unusual (though certainly not the norm) for a dual income household.
Sigh...life; here in the fishbowl...

"Hello; earth to Somersoft!?"

if the older workers have proved themselves to be reliable, punctual, etc, and are still actually showing up after their initial 4 month 'casual' period, they are offered 10 hours per week in a permanent part-time capacity (yep, crap, I know).
TA DA!

"We are keeping the unemployment down, Voters...just look at all those jobs out there!"

nobody in their right mind wants a retail sales job
Back end of retail, is money to be made
warehouse Casual labourers
12 hour shifts, 6 days a week
stock pickers, forkies, loaders, yard shunt drivers, container unloaders, container loaders,
casual wage, ~$16 +25%
plus night shift loading +15%
plus site loadings; freezer 15%, overweight 25%;
plus overtime, every day after 7:36; 2:00 +50%, 2:24 +100%
plus an untaxable box/error bonus, 5c/box
the average for the young guys was 300+ boxes = $1080+ free money each week
the not worth keeping you, mark was <130 boxes/hour which is still $78/day
The younger blokes made fun of me for being old, and slow, I did 240/hour for 12 hours
Its easy to pick a lot of boxes, grocery stores get coke and such, in pallets, 96 boxes in one go.
if you worked every shift, you got paid 100 single hours plus pick bonus and kept ~2200/week
many single shift position filled by 2 blokes working 3 days each take home 50k in 2002
attachment.php
This bloke just picked 200 boxes in 5 minutes
bonus may now be taxable
its still a lot of money

great for a school leaver

That's actually quite similar to the job he does but the pay is the same as the other workers in the store. 12 hours, 6 days a week is a bit difficult when you're studying full-time. It's alright though, it's only temporary.

Unfortunately for many the belief is "I earn a high income so therefore should drive this car, live in this suburb etc"

The appearance of status is there to keep high income earners on the consumption treadmill.

Unfortunately for many the belief is "I earn a high income so therefore should drive this car, live in this suburb etc"

The appearance of status is there to keep high income earners on the consumption treadmill.

That's not just applicable to high income earners. Lots of people spend money on things they can't really afford to give a perception of being better off

very true - got a couple of friends who bought new mercs and porsches although on salaries that are ok, just to keep up appearences when the money could have gone to another deposit for a house. Again asian culture is very integrated to image and wealth image such as having designer wallets and bags like louis vuitton, hermes etc. Best to live within your means.

very true - got a couple of friends who bought new mercs and porsches although on salaries that are ok, just to keep up appearences when the money could have gone to another deposit for a house. Again asian culture is very integrated to image and wealth image such as having designer wallets and bags like louis vuitton, hermes etc. Best to live within your means.

and hence if I do date an asian (which I have)

if face, image, reputation, designer garbarge , if any of them are high on the priorities list, I run faster then usain bolt!

just a complete waste of time living in a shallow materialistic existance

Back