Fire - A very real danger

We have just been advised of a kitchen fire.

The chip pan exploded into fire with the lady of the house standing next to it.

She immediately turned off the heat and the exhaust fan and put the lid on the pan.

She screamed to the older child to get out of the house, grabbed the toddler, and rang 000 on her mobile while carrying the child from the house.

When she returned moments later, the whole kitchen was engulfed in black smoke and the pan was still alight, spitting flaming sparks over a wide area.

She carried (!!!) the burning pan outside the house, burning her hand in the process.

Five fire trucks arrived within minutes.

The crews checked the house, switched on the evap cooling to flush the smoke out, and installed pedestal fans from their trucks to force the smoke away from the house.

They waited a reasonable time to ensure there were no cavity fires.

CGU responded immediately, we have the insurance assessor attending the property tomorrow.

The rangehood fan and mesh filters melted from the heat, the overhead cupboards are damaged and the kitchen was covered in soot.

I went to Bunnings tonight and bought seven Fire Blankets and a packet of self adhesive kitchen hooks. I have now printed up a Notice to Tenants requesting they have a household meeting, make sure eveyone understands how to use the Blanket, and to install it in an accessible place where they don't have to reach across a burning pan to get it.

I will drive around tomorrow and deliver the Blankets personally.

I also remind them to regularly check the Smoke Detectors and to replace the batteries if necessary, to make sure everyone in the household understands what to do in the event of a fire, and to make sure the house doors are not deadlocked at night.

I have also suggested they each buy a household fire extinghisher from a hardware store and to keep it in the kitchen.

The lady has now washed the entire kitchen and the paint has started to peel away from the acid residue.

No one was (badly) hurt although the children were hysterical and the lady was deeply shocked.

Her stack of freshly washed clothing in the meals area suffered smoke damage and the soot has stained the floor tiles.

One frying pan has caused about $2,000 damage.

Is your insurance up to date?

Do your tenants have Fire Blankets or Fire Extinguishers?

Are the Smoke Detectors operational?

The Blankets cost $15 at Bunnings.

Interestingly, I bought a Fire Blanket about a month ago, and two days ago took it out of the Bunnings bag, hammered a small nail into the inside of the pantry door, and hung the Blanket in position. Within 24 hours I get the call about the fire.

What are you waiting for?

Kristine

Fire blankets are an under-rated safety device. Clearly the first choice in the kitchen.

A fire extinguisher in the hands of an enthusiastic novice may be discharged too close to the burning fat and blow it everywhere. Don't get me wrong though, I have put out some large fires with small extinguishers (controlled) and used 9kg dry powder ex's when burning off vacant land. Works great.

Your tenant did well right up until she carried the pan outside. Could easily have dropped it and aggrivated the situation but that sounds picky so I'll just say well done!

Thommo

Kristine.. said:
Interestingly, I bought a Fire Blanket about a month ago, and two days ago took it out of the Bunnings bag, hammered a small nail into the inside of the pantry door, and hung the Blanket in position. Within 24 hours I get the call about the fire.
Mental note to self - Fire Blankets indirectly cause fires. :D

Hi Kristine,

Sounds like that lady reacted really well considering the circumstances - even saved the property from more severe damage by her fast reaction.

It wasn't clear if she was one of your tenants, but if she is I'd suggest that you give her & her kids a special treat to help make up for the experience.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Bad Luck Kristine.

My son did the exact same thing in my kitchen only it was about $20,000 in damage and 2months with no kitchen.
BUT everyone was ok.

May l sugest you ask your insurance assesor to have your stove top evaluated because if water was used to put out the fire then the electrodes will corode in the next month or two due to water damage.By then the insurance will not take responsibility.

Your evap cooling filters will be full of soot and tiny fibres, you will need to get those cleaned as well.

Sorry to hear your tennant has washed the ceiling ect with acid because there is a special product which you just paint over the blackened area which seals it and then you just repaint as normal..

There should be also a product to clean of the tiles.Check with the insurance company cleaners. By the way the insurance company sent out a team of cleaners to clean up my place.

Thommo
you say the tennant made the mistake of taking the hot oil outside.Our fire brigade men said it was the best thing to do and probably saved the house.You see when oil gets to such a high temp it will continually reignite for up to 40 minutes or more.Yes it is dangerous to carry it and most people get serious burns from this , but with thick towels or the like it can be done, just keep the top smothered and good cover on the handle.

all in all a pain in the bum but be thankful everyone is ok.
House damage can be fixed.

It will also be a big learning experience for you Kristine to see what you will be covered for, ie your interpritation of cover vs insurance company interpritation of cover.

Good Luck Kristine
cheers yadreamin

Kristine,
That post goes down in my Top 10 best ever posts on the forum. Thanks so much for putting that up. It's one of those rare posts that is pertinent to everyone - not just for tenants and the like.

You never know

Hi Kristine

Sorry to hear about your recent experience. :(

I was actually a fireman with NSW Fire Brigade for just over 20 yrs. I have seen hundreds of similar incidents. I have also had a similar fire in one of my investments. Also my sister had a bedroom destroyed and smoke and water damage to other parts of her investment property.(Caused by a faulty hairdryer) We have also had a fire in our own home from a oil burner . Fortunately extinguished by my wife with a fire blanket & extinguisher.

I was only thinking about all this last night after a Toddler and a Fireman were killed in a house fire on the Central Coast.

Let's start.

The main line of defence in my opinion is SMOKE DETECTORS.
If you do not have at least one in your own home you are a idiot.
People say that they sleep lightly and would wake up with the smell of fire.
The fact is that furniture, mattresses , carpet and everything in the home is basically plastic. As soon as these burn they give of gasses that put you to sleep. The fact is that most people actually die from gas poisoning before they are burnt.

(I even take a small smoke detector with me when staying away. (Paranoid or just careful)
At least two smoke detectors per storey of house construction, preferably more.
(The sad thing is that I have actually installed detectors in all my properties but they at times have been vandalised by tenants that cannot stand them going off when they burn the toast.) So they either remove the batteries or cut wires to them.

Fire blankets again are a great item to extinguish small fires such as oil, cooking or confined areas of your home. Fire extinguishers are good for a quick knock down of a fire. However in many situations the fire quickly ignites owing to the heat left at the sourse of the fire. eg deep seated oil fire, or a fire that has taken a good hold .

Having attended many fires where people have received 3rd degree burns from cooking oil I would not consider removing a chip cooker to the outside area as a safe operation. What happens if the pot is not sealed tightly is that as soon as the oil contacts cool air and abundant oxygen supply it will re -ignite in a fierce fireball. Usually spraying the holder with hot oil. Or igniting the holder and other parts of the home.
Far better to to throw a fire blanket over and try and seal with a lid then isolate electricity or gas then leave it.

Having a fire blanket and extinguisher is of course a great idea. But you should also practice (DRILL) for scenerios that may happen.
My wife thought I was paranoid when i use to scream FIRE and make her practise what she would do. However it paid off one day when a oil burner cracked and set the lounge room alight. Immediately upon hearing a couple of smoke detectors going off and the dog barking willdly she jumped out of the bath and found the oil burner and curtains alight. She just went into automatic practise mode. Smothered the oil burner with the fire blanket and extinguished the curtains with the fire extinguisher which was located away from the kitchen area. If she could not have extinguished the fire she knew to close all doors feeding the fire and get everyone out.

Kristine if you are insured you should be able to claim for most repairs.

Eg , Cleaning and painting. Are benchtops damaged? Stove marked or water damaged? Fans clogged or full of water? Flooring damaged?

You should be able to claim for these.

Speaking Insurance. It was always incredible the amount of people that had fires in their homes that had no building or contents insurance. As you filled out the paperwork and sorted through the remains of their homes they would cry that they had NO insurance at all. When questioned why they would comment that they had lived here 25 yrs and never had a fire. So they thought that it was only a expense that they would never need. :eek:
So in my opinion insurance is a number 1 priority. And don't skimp or undervalue your properties. for if you do and have to claim you may find that the actual pro-rater amount you receive is a lot less than the insurance value you insure for. (Read the insurance policy)

Just one word of warning. We all want to make our homes & rentals safe. However in a world of litigation we need to be careful. I have heard of people supplying smoke detectors, fire blankets etc.

Then when something happens they have been sued because these items did not operate or never had a maintenance schedule check. (Even if the item was vandalised by the tenant.)

Statistically most (Not all) severe fires actually occur in lower socio areas.

Causes: Cigarette butts smouldering behind a lounge seat for hours. Food stuffs as it is known on reports. Eg Cooking left unatended.(Kristines case) Heaters left too close to flamable items or knocked over. Clothes dryers. Usually caused by filters being clogged with lint or not let run through cooling part of cycle. Children playing with matches.

Any of the fires listed above would all set off smoke detectors within 30 seconds to 1 minute. Therefore given people adequate warning before the fire actually took hold.

I personally noticed a sharp decrease of serious house fires once smoke detectors were introduced. Instead of turning up to a fully involved property you would have a small fire that had been extinguished by someone awoken by a detector going off.

Wow I am really on my high horse here :D

Sorry for making this such a long post.

If it saves one fire or one life well great :)

Gee Cee

Old Fireree :)

Reactions: asy
Thanks GC and Kristine,

It's posts like this that make us all stop and think more about safety in both our own houses and our IP's. Well done for making us more aware.

A postscript:

The damage bill came to just a shade under - $10,000.

Did you read that twice?

$10,000.

Sincere thanks to CGU for their very prompt attention aand response to notification of the claim.

By the way, in the week or two since I first started this post -

Have you bought the Fire Blankets

Have you had the household meeting

Have you checked your smoke detectors

Have you checked your insurance policy?

No?

Have you got a spare $10,000 for damage caused by a chip pan even though the cook was standing next to it?

The Blankets cost about $15 from Bunnings

Tax deductible

Be there or be square.

Cheers

Kristine

Thanks GC and Kristine. I have learnt something. I didnt know that it was important to let the dryer run through its cool cycle. Im guilty of just stopping it and taking the clothes out when the're dry! AND I'm ashamed to say that I dont have a fire blanket in my own home *gulp*. That will be rectified tomorrow.

Fire authorities also recommend extra alarms in children's bedrooms because they may not wake easily to a more remote alarm.

Alarms are cheap.

Back