First car...

I chipped in with 2 mates to buy a Ford Mercury with bench seats when we went to the US in late 80's on a working holiday while still at Uni.....we paid $750 for it....drove it all over the place for 3 months and sold it for $500. Happy days!

The first car I bought was a Ford Laser - it was red so it went real fast. I was living in Geraldton when I bought it, and it got me there and back a number of times without fail.
It was a 1982model, so born in the same year as me. but only had 33,000kms on the clock (though the clock only went to 100,000 so no idea how many times it had been around - a few at least I would guess). Bought it for $1900 and sold it for $2300 4 years later (and another round on the clock).

Before that I had my parents suzuki sierra as a long term 'borrow'. Fantastic car. I was living in Northam at the time and moved house with it on occasion, I remember arriving home one day with it so loaded you couldn't see any of the car. God knows how I wasnt arrested.
It ran on the smell of an oily rag, was 4wd so was great on the beach, and I could nearly get it up to 100kms/hr if the wind was strong enough and coming from the right direction. The only down side was my mates enjoyed picking it up and 'parking' it for me in some very inconvenient parking spaces.

We still own it and use it as a beach toy at the beach house :)

Blacky

Noting all your responses for any secret questions :p

Mine was a Hyundai I bought with money I'd saved working in a supermarket. I didn't need the money for uni/HECS as I didn't pay for my degree, so that and my CD collection was the way I spent my cash.

Ten year old 1962 Mini (when they still had a floor starter button) - cost me GBP100, then spent around GBP400 over the next two years fixing and 'enhancing' it which is why I spent my uni years on the breadline.

Apart from some that have mentioned eg:Blacky,thankyou :),has anyone kept there 1st cars?

Ps.Tony3008,1962 mini?This should be hung on your wall or take pride of place in the garage!

Btw ford laser,lol my mate has one,it has the clappers on the clock and runs like new.Suffice though he is a jack of all trades and services the laser himself.

That said though the older cars are easier to work on than the latest models.

1996 Porsche 911 twin turbo.........OK, it was an early 70s datto 1600...what else...the engine was bullet proof

70s datto 1600

love these. My dad had an ex state rally championship winning one that was fully tricked out. worked L20, seam welded body, cage, competition bucket seats, trip meter for the navigator, etc.... He used to autokhana it, great fun.

2002 Honda Jazz. Also my current car.
People usually give me a strange look when they first see me in it because I'm in my 30s, earn a reasonable wage and am 1.98m tall. But as they say, a dollar saved is $1.50 earned.

1996 Porsche 911 twin turbo.........OK, it was an early 70s datto 1600...what else...the engine was bullet proof

LOL you still got it?...My mate had a an oldie,i forget now,i'll edit later.I could post some images of a rear end but hey i don't think they'll last the distance lol.

Cheers

Edit:Corvette stingray.

Another mini here. 1966. Bought it for $200 and drove it and fixed it for a year until I took the head off to find a piston in three pieces.

Sold it to a guy for spares for $200.

I'm amazed I survived in that car. Had to pump the brakes to get it to stop. CV joints made horrendous noises. Car got to the ton once and rattled itself almost to pieces.

Glad my teen daughters are more sensible than I was.

Awesome.

Independent rear suspension amongst other good things.

Of course called the Nissan Bluebird in other jurisdictions.

Todays direct descendant of course is the Altima (ok, a cross between the Bluebird and Stanza)

The Y-man

Attachments

• Nissan-Altima-V8-Supercar-Shakedown-8.jpg
    Nissan-Altima-V8-Supercar-Shakedown-8.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 32
Mine was a two door Torana. I kept it till the horn started tooting every time you went round a corner, started getting really embarrassing when it went off when you were just going around a bend. The bonnet used to get stuck, back in the days when garages checked your oil and water for you, I used to have to go to a different garage each time as you couldn't close it, I used to have to pleed ignorance, "oh it's never done that before".

2002 Honda Jazz. Also my current car.
People usually give me a strange look when they first see me in it because I'm in my 30s, earn a reasonable wage and am 1.98m tall. But as they say, a dollar saved is $1.50 earned.

hey are you me!?!?

I too had a 02 jazz in my 30s...........but im about half a meter shorter then you!

I reckon the jazz was the best car ever, fantastic fuel economy, zippy, reliable and the storage space in it was ridiculously good.....

id get another one in a heart beat

Back