Fiscal trogolytes and property values

Now assume this scenario has been going for a while, so the market adapts to the scenario and the 'fair value' of the asset is $347000. But is this actually the fair value of the asset, or is it just the market accepted fair value due to the scenario?
Absolutely, chilliaa, I think that the residential market's value very much reflects what people are able to borrow. Our own home has more than trebled in less than 8 years. I can imagine it dropping 50%; that would still represent a pretty reasonable growth relative to our purchase price.

I'm probably considered one of the "perma-bulls", but actually, I'm not. :eek: I'm in an aggressive accumulation stage of my investing life, but what I'm accumulating changes with my perception of market conditions, and Australian property isn't on my list right now. (I'd still consider buying more if the right deal came along, but I'm not actively seeking to add more Australian property.)

As with all highly polarised discussions, the truth probably lies somewhere between the poles. Theoretically, I agree that Australian property is dramatically over-priced. But the market is made up of a population of buyers who are largely unaware of these theories, and who don't think these prices are unsustainable. These market participants can keep prices high for a very, very long time, despite the theory.

I do think, though, that changes in borrowing practices will keep prices flat or down a little for at least a few years, as outlined well by chilliaa. My perception is that our risk-averse lenders are absolutely panicking right now; behind closed doors there's a lot more fear than we're aware of. I think they'd love to stop lending right now, and the only reason they haven't completely stopped lending is that it would create so much market panic as to adversely affect the property they already have on their books.

I enjoy all the informative posts. I hope that nonrecourse and contrary et al continue to post, and that everybody can present their views without resort to insult and personal attack; it's really unnecessary.

Hi all,

nonrecourse, it is interesting how you dodge the harder questions, perhaps you missed this from before....

and I think it is what Keith is asking as well.

What is our trigger for the 50% falls, especially as the bottom end is now picking up because of low interest rates and FHOG, and then does it really matter if you have cashflow +ve property as an investment??

bye

I cannot believe we are still having this discussion at this late stage. The train horn is blaring you can hear the squeal of the brakes of the world economy. The approaching freight train lights are blinding and like rip van winkle you accuse me of dodging what is absolutely bleeding obvious we are in a world depression full stop.

we are in a world depression full stop.

I can now breathe a sigh of relief. :)

NR has proclaimed we are now in a depression. Well if this is a depression then I am really enjoying the scene. I and many others around me are still enjoying the comfortable life. Sure there is a bit of fear and tightening of confidence but overall things haven't really changed in the communities living standards. I tend these days to ask more people in my community how they are coping compared to a year or two ago and they all agree that life is much the same despite the gloom. I have friends who manufacture cosmetics - they told me last week that business is booming. Same with my local mechanic. The local shopping centre is bustling as usual. My newly completed duplex has had sale and rental appraisals above my expectation from 18mths ago. My next project home builder is having a sudden rush on new homes including many who delayed their plans from last year (like myself). I could go on. Maybe I am wrong? Am I just a magnet for people who are doing fine? Is it just my community that seems to be thriving? Was it the "Bob Proctor" cd's? :eek: :D

Whatever it is - Depressions can not only be negotiated but also enjoyed in this most fortunate country of ours - thank God.:)

Am I just a magnet for people who are doing fine? Is it just my community that seems to be thriving? Was it the "Bob Proctor" cd's? :eek: :D

Whatever it is - Depressions can not only be negotiated but also enjoyed in this most fortunate country of ours - thank God.:)

Nope, my little worlds going great as well Rockstar. If this is a depression, then I'll certainly be coming out the other side much stronger than I've gone in.

To be truthful ? Whenever I hear that or "to be honest with you" alarm bells start ringing. Like you are normally lying through your teeth and now for a change you want to be truthful or something. ;)

Oh so now a depression is here ? Did Stevie say that or did you read it on a foreign website and got confused ?

If you believed Stevie Wonder or the dribble coming from the other site then yes things are going to be bad and we should all stock up on gold bars and baked beans and head for the hills. Have you ever stopped to think and ask yourself why despite all the rhetoric and D&G predicted some of your good buddies decided to become home owners in such precarious times ?
I'm afraid that the only things precarious are your assumptions that we are in a depression and that properties in our major cities will fall at least 50%.
If the only reason you are calling for a crash is because you missed on the last boom then you need to get over it and move on with life. :cool:

Come on now, did the old "dog ate my homework" excuse ever worked for you ? :D

Mmmm More abuse fair enough have a nice retirement on the pension yorkie

Theoretically, I agree that Australian property is dramatically over-priced. But the market is made up of a population of buyers who are largely unaware of these theories, and who don't think these prices are unsustainable. These market participants can keep prices high for a very, very long time, despite the theory.

...and we get somewhere at last.

These "market particpants" are all that is holding the tide back IMHO.

I've been "living" the GFC since July '07. For me, the fundamental disintegration of the international capital markets is now such that I take it as given.

Ditto a global recession that Australia can't avoid.

Might not suffer as badly as some, but cannot avoid.

The average punter only really started to notice when they got their half yearlyt super statement and started reading about potential job losses. Until reality bites as Ozperp says, the doe-eyed buyer will carry on at a subdued level, but won't panic and walk away.

But in the world of the average Davo or Doreen, the proverbial is still making it's way through the air towards the fan. It hasn't really started to impact their day to day.

When it does, we will be in some interesting territory.

I met with Veda Advantage a week or so ago and let me tell you, the trend in negative credit events hitting their reporting is not a pleasant sight.

Oh, and watch Queensland. An economy based on mining, tourism and real estate development......not a good combination in today's world.

Last edited:
we are in a world depression full stop.

Oh so we are in a hard depression now?

In 2001 it was 911 and Islamic terrorism.

In 2002 it was Saddam Hussein, WMD and the Bali bombings.

In 2003 it was Asian bird flu pandemic.

In 2005 it was the London bombings.

In 2006 it was peak oil and $8 litre petrtol.

In 2007 it was global warming, sea levels rising and North Korean nukes.

In 2008 it was the GFC.

In 2009 its the Post-Lehmans world.

Frankly of all the nasty things that could have happened - I think a financial crisis aint so bad.

Hi NR

Been following this thread with interest, I'm not that interested in what people may think will happen but more in why they think it will happen,
as this will assist me in making my own decisions.

I would have thought Keiths question was straight forward, your statement was

"Well Keith the depression is here and all that I have outlined unfortunately continues to roll out. Now I am told that I don't have an original though?"

Keiths question was

"The depression is here ? ... in Australia ? Do you have (credible) links ?"

You've ducked Keiths question with your answer however I'm also curious
as to whether you consider Australia to be in a depression and what is your definition of a depression?

Cheers

Pete

As has been stated on this thread by top cropper and others. Australia is 12-18 months behind the rest of the world with regards to the unfolding financial tragedy and really its just the last two months that some of my customers have woken up.

The fact that 18 months ago I started talking about the soft depression counts for nothing on this site because some will continue to argue because they don't want to have to face up to reality....yet.

There are lots of economists in Australia who can't chew gum and walk who continue to tell us we will avoid a recession:confused:

The federal government ad nasum keeps telling us our banks are sound;)

We read the financial times and the finacial review from front to back every day, We attend about 6- 10 auctions most weeks. We are on half a dozen property and investment sites and instead of watching TV we surf the net learning and developing our financial literacy day in day out. We have owned and operated successful businesses since 1991 and we are comfortable with our own judgement and we will give you an example.

When we joined this site16.04.2007 the first few months we contributed a bit on SMSF's and Trevisan trusts as we were keen to share our good story that lasted up to 11th of August 1999.The large retail funds lobbied the government and had that option closed off as is so often the case. When property warrants were offered we could again see an opportunity for individuals to take control of their own super through investing directly in property.

Super the way the retail and industry funds want to run it is a scam designed to skim the cream off of working people for life.

When we first borrowed the term soft depression, (I think it was from a book that talked about demographics and the coming financial dislocation of so many boomers retiring and accessing their (U.S.) 401 retirement accounts selling down shares). it was around July 2007.

It was also then that we discovered the gorilla in the closet called subprime through surfing the net. We can accept that probably right up to July 2008 what we were saying looked like an unlikely scenario. Anything that we did post was viewed anti-property and D&G.

We only have limited time and as time went on anything we posted that suggested (a) a soft depression was coming, (b) the asx would drop below 3500 by the end of Oct 2008, (c) the reserve rate would drop to 2%, (d) the dollar would evenually drop to 38 cents and the final straw as far as the optimists on this site was that (e) residential property would drop 40-50%
sending the blue sky brigade into paroxysms of horror.

All along more and more demands are made to prove it. Anything we post is met with derision and scorn and is cast off as having no merit. Because we have kept posting the message and warning novice investors to protect their seed capital, this has infurriated what we call the blue sky brigade that advocate being geared to the back teeth. This term was coined in response to the continued abuse.

The moderators have done a great job of removing our vitriole when the abuse got too much. In the last few months we note a lot of people starting to say we don't like the message but NR's runs on the board are starting to add up.

Turk we are not prepared to continuely post to support what is now bleedingly obvious. The world banking system is insolvent, we are in a depression and world trade is collapsing. If you don't believe that or are not sure we have a suggestion.

Get on the net and arrange a three month subscription of the financial times. Also purchase a hard copy subscription of the financial review and read both from front to back for three months.

If at the end of that time you disagree with us then you are invited to click on the ignore facility on this site, that will hide our posts and you can get on with investing.

The only reason we believe we are still allowed to post on this site is that the moderators have scrutinized us closely and they recognise that we are indeed bonified property investors all be it unpopular ones:D

The fact that one of the owners of this site saw it necessary to post his long term optimistic view on property because of his genuine concern that the site has been polarized says it all, this discussion is going nowhere.

We would like to suggest that perhaps we will focus more on the posters who are interested in what to do with regards to protecting and expanding your property portfolio in a depression.

For those who wish to continue to flame us; "you will get a post from us saying have a nice retirement on the government pension:D." That means we have used the site facility that allows us not to see any of your further posts.

Someone we met many years ago who became a very wealthy man during the depression in Canada told us the secret to making a lot of money in a depression was to have no debt in your business and internally fund all your growth from profit, trim your overheads, look after your employees and those less fortunate than you.

Having just reread a book about Warren Buffett that was published in the late 1980's. He started with about $10'000 after the war, he was worth around 25 million by the late 1960's and as of 18.02.2009 his net worth was 62 billion. Warren has always eschewed debt. That is more difficult to do when investing in property initially. But in unstable times you should be preserving your seed capital.

NR

Last edited:
Hi

I read the AFR back to front every day.

In other news I have learnt today that the state government is (i) significantly extending the public park located 200 meters from my IPs (substantially increasing amenity) and that (ii) the private hospital located in between the park and my IPs is doubling its beds (generating new employment and more tenant demand in the suburb).

Life goes on.

Hi

I read the AFR back to front every day.

In other news I have learnt today that the state government is (i) significantly extending the public park located 200 meters from my IPs (substantially increasing amenity) and that (ii) the private hospital located in between the park and my IPs is doubling its beds (generating new employment and more tenant demand in the suburb).

Life goes on.

Did you also read today that 52,000 wealthy Americans who have Swiss bank accounts are in a spot of bother as the once mighty Swiss gnomes at UBS have the IRS putting the blow tourch to them ?

Its tough times for the super rich world wide.

I wish i could believe the negative posts on here are an effort to warn investors and newbies on the risks associated with investing. But it is very clear this is not the case. It is very clear many just want to see investors burn and want praise from all on here for posting exactly how and when it will happen over and over again.( Even if they keep moving the goal posts).

I laugh when they say they are just trying to warn us on here then jump over to that "other site "and proceed to crap on everyone on this site even though many on here frequent the " other site" and can see what is being said.What they do is not about helping or caring. They hate investors,They hate what investors do. Yet strangely spend much of there time here mixing with those that they hate so much.You know what. I hate golf so you will not see me on a golf coarse any time soon.Its a shame some cant do the same when it comes to investing forums.
Its a strange world.

PS. I appreciate that we must here a balanced argument. These post i am happy with. Its the ones that go the next step that get a bit boring.

I think its true what many say on here. Yes there are risks involved and you may not make it to financial independance. But what are your chances of reaching financial independance in your life if you do nothing.....
Thats my rant.

I wish i could believe the negative posts on here are an effort to warn investors and newbies on the risks associated with investing. But it is very clear this is not the case. It is very clear many just want to see investors burn and want praise from all on here for posting exactly how and when it will happen over and over again.( Even if they keep moving the goal posts).

I laugh when they say they are just trying to warn us on here then jump over to that "other site "and proceed to crap on everyone on this site even though many on here frequent the " other site" and can see what is being said.What they do is not about helping or caring. They hate investors,They hate what investors do. Yet strangely spend much of there time here mixing with those that they hate so much.You know what. I hate golf so you will not see me on a golf coarse any time soon.Its a shame some cant do the same when it comes to investing forums.
Its a strange world.

PS. I appreciate that we must here a balanced argument. These post i am happy with. Its the ones that go the next step that get a bit boring.

I think its true what many say on here. Yes there are risks involved and you may not make it to financial independance. But what are your chances of reaching financial independance in your life if you do nothing.....
Thats my rant.

Devo 76 considering your earlier post, have a nice life on the pension:D

Good rant!

There are some very ugly people over there, I suspect their avatars reflect what is on the inside. If someone can't have a discussion without getting into personal abuse they have a big problem, I don't understand why people choose to hang in both places when it makes more sense to stay amongst like minded people.

Good rant!

There are some very ugly people over there, I suspect their avatars reflect what is on the inside. If someone can't have a discussion without getting into personal abuse they have a big problem, I don't understand why people choose to hang in both places when it makes more sense to stay amongst like minded people.

Like people with split personalities sparky:D

Devo 76 considering your earlier post, have a nice life on the pension:D

The thing is i probably could have a nice life on the pension. As apposed to worrying about what could go wrong just around the corner day after day after day. Give me a fishing rod and im happy.

But even though i am at risk in these times with my employment like so many. One little fact. ( i could get a graph as that seems to float the boats of so many). The average age of workers in my field is 56 ,actually it is older than that now.. We were in a critical shortage before it became trendy. Not a perfect safety net but enough to let me know i will be fine when things improve again.Truth be told my employment should be fine anyway. Just a bit of the constantly peddled doom rubbing off i guess And no i will not need a pension.

Last edited:
Back