Floating floors & wall trim.

Floating floors & wall trim.
At bunnings they have up signs saying you will need "wall trim" to cover the gap between the floating floor & the skirting board (10mm all round).
When asked about this wall trim I was told that they themselves didn't know what it was & have not been able to find out from the manufacturers.

Does anyone know where I can purchase "wall trim" to do the job?

I'm sure it was mentioned (by geoffw I think) in a thread I read while searching before going to bunnings but I can't find that thread again.

I certainly don't want to have to attempt to remove the existing skirting boards & have to install new ones. Apart from that, it will run around the kitchen for which there are no skirting boards because of the kitchen cupboards.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

On walls where you already have skirting board, you may be able to use that skirting. If there has been carpet, the (vertical) gap under the skirting may be enough for the floating floor. Though, at my place, the gap was too big; there were areas (against kickboards) where there were no skirting boards at all. A gap which is too small, or non existant, under a skirting board could be expanded if you were able to take the skirting board off.

This trim is similar to what I used.
This stuff looks possibly much better than that.

Here is a general guide from Magnet Mart, though it doesn't talk about edges apart from architraves and skirting.

Hey gad,

I think they're talking about quad. Its just a small strip of timber, right angle on one side and rounded on the other used as you mentioned, to hide the gap left between the existing skirting and the new floor.

Bernard

not sure about the 'wall trim' but if it's to cover any gaps between the new floating floor and skirting board, you could use some quad or scotia or beading depending on the profile you want - they come in various sizes including 8, 12, 18 & 22mm. Just nail it to your existing skirts and use some gap filler to cover any small gaps. You may need to repaint your skirting and the beading / quad/ scotia though... probably best to paint before you install it.

When they put floating floors in my unit, the old skirting board came off first. After puting down the floating floor, new skirting went over the top, to cover the gap. The gap needs to be there because floating floors expand and contract with temperature changes. At least that's what I was told.

Hey gad,

I think they're talking about quad. Its just a small strip of timber, right angle on one side and rounded on the other used as you mentioned, to hide the gap left between the existing skirting and the new floor.

Bernard

Quad was what I used for mine and it looks fine - no gaps!

And I bought it from Bunnings.

Chris.

Thanks guys.

Quad or scotia looks like the go.
If the floor expands by width & length I'd imagine it would also expand in thickness? How high off the flooring should I fix the quad?
Would the thickness of cardboard coasters be sufficient (app. 1mm)

Thanks
(Will post some before & after photo's)

Thanks guys.

Quad or scotia looks like the go.
If the floor expands by width & length I'd imagine it would also expand in thickness? How high off the flooring should I fix the quad?
Would the thickness of cardboard coasters be sufficient (app. 1mm)

Thanks
(Will post some before & after photo's)

The packets say leave 10mm for a floor space up to 20m wide for expansion =0.5mm/m
the boards are about 1.5cm thick => 0.5mm per m * 0.015m = 0.0075mm space, so about 'none' would do
have been taking the skirting off, laying the floor, and putting the skrting back, and it works pretty well, the skrting is half inch thick

I removed the old skirting boards in 1 house and used Quad in another,
If you have time and the old skirting board is in good nik and comes off
then that's what I would recommend you do.
Buying quad is going to cost you and you will have to cut it and paint it.
If you old skirting board is painted, use same colour gap filler
afterwards to cover up any nail holes or joints and there is no need for painting.
That's "IF" the old skirting boards come off.
I broke them in 1 place some years ago, I am better at it these days...
Cheers

Damaging the walls from removing the old skirting board was a major concern (just painted the entire house (internal) about six months ago) and the fact that half the kitchen is cupboards without skirting boards made up my mind to go with the scotia/quad.
Have purchased the floating board packs. 20m of scotia ect ect.
Instructions say leave a gap of between 12 - 15mm so I'm glad the scotia I bought is 19mm.

Hi,

assuming you are a true investor.... then you will want the cheapest option.

18mm by 18mm MDF pre painted to match the skirting and nailed to skirting.

Cost ... dunno .... about $10 per room i guess.

Or you can go with many other options ... and ...stop pretending to be an investor ... :)

rossv

i gather this is the type of product you mean

http://www.premiumfloors.com.au/scr...9/wo/cRjt6FJOLYkg2nnrxa7bT8CVv50/4.5.20.0.0.3

have a look at www.premiumfloors.com.au and they should have more info.

we recently put down a floating floor and it looks really good - however, we decided (after buying all the trim and forunately being able to return it) to remove all the skirtings and replace then after laying. the finish was 100% better than just using the trim. this is our ppor and we wanted a really smick finish, and the mdf skirtings are pretty cheap to buy - but if you want something easier and quicker to install, and you're not to fussed about the finish, then i'd go either the trim or quad.

Damaging the walls from removing the old skirting board was a major concern (just painted the entire house (internal) about six months ago) .

To prevent damage to the paint you simply need to run a
blade knife along the skirting board to create a separation.
Even if you did damage the paint, remember that the floor
will be lifted up so paint damage near the skirting board
will be covered up and won't be seen.
For a PPOR I would probably use the opportunity and
replace a plain skirting board with a better looking type.
It would make the floor look so much better.
Cheers

i gather this is the type of product you mean

http://www.premiumfloors.com.au/scr...9/wo/cRjt6FJOLYkg2nnrxa7bT8CVv50/4.5.20.0.0.3

have a look at www.premiumfloors.com.au and they should have more info.

we recently put down a floating floor and it looks really good - however, we decided (after buying all the trim and forunately being able to return it) to remove all the skirtings and replace then after laying. the finish was 100% better than just using the trim. this is our ppor and we wanted a really smick finish, and the mdf skirtings are pretty cheap to buy - but if you want something easier and quicker to install, and you're not to fussed about the finish, then i'd go either the trim or quad.

How about if the house does not have skirtings at all? to install skirting board is time consuming and back-kicking

i am no expert - as we took the skirting board option - but if you have a look at the link i provided forever ago, it pretty much explains. the edging is attached to the floor with a locking system at the "finishing" edge so that you can slot it all together, with the floating floorboards able to move freely to expand and contract within the edging - hence not visable. the quad would have to be nailed to the wall and ditto for the floorboards being able to expand/contract.

The quad / scotia is nailed to the existing skirting boards, else you would not need quad, you would need skirting boards.
Will have finished the job tomorrow, been a very busy week, & will post some before & after shots.

Back