Floor Polishers - Brisbane

Hello

I am rennovating my kitchen, and I want to polish the floor to match the rest of the house (currently whole house is polished hardwood floors (30+yrs old) but kitchen is vinyl flooring)

Its only a small area, probally 4M x 4M.

Does anyone have any recommendations on who to use ? (House is in Wynnum), or any ideas on the cost, or things to watch out for ?

I will be removing the old kitchen entirely, so that there is basically just a square room for them, get the floors polished, and then install the new kitchen, so that its easier for them to polish.

Thanks

Ben

Sorry, Ben - the only one I could have recommended moved to Mackay. Jolly inconvenient, to say the least!

Cheers
LynnH

Ben,
Why not try the sanding and polishing yourself? Most economical way to add value ;) Hire the gear from bunnings, where they can give you a demonstration as well.

For a 4sq.m DIY job, you may want to get a smaller sander suitable for fiddly areas. People usually use the biggest sander and repeatedly sand in straight lines leaving track marks, likewise with burn marks.

Professionals would give you a quote per square meter, but for only 4sq.m the rate would be higher. From memory a friend got their 70sq.m house done for about $1500.

Its around 16 - 20m2, as the room is around 4m x 4m.

I did look at doing it myself, but everyone I know who has tried, said to pay the pros, as its a pain in the *** to put the final coats of varnish on. I am happy to pay a pro to do this. As I hate sanding/painting.

Ben

Jeez, how bad is my maths??? 4x4 = 4sq.m

My friends place finishes up tomorrow.. I'll PM you the sander's details if they turn out to be good.

Hi Ben,
The guy that did my friends floorboards did a very poor job... His quote was the cheapest, so I guess you get what you pay for.. But I'm sure average Joe could have done a better job.

He was to replace half a dozen old boards - he used the worst quality replacing boards first, leaving the best boards unused :confused: He also failed to stagger the joints so adjacent boards didn't start and stop at the same position. In some places you can see tracking marks left by the sander. He also told us the wrong time that the polish would be cured - we noticed a few scuff marks from our footprints even though it was the day after it was supposed to be cured..

Unless you can get a referral through a friend, I'd recommend using a top end sander. Considering an average house may cost 10k to paint internal walls but only 2-3k to sand and polish the floorboards.

Back