Footpaths & Vehicles

Any idea what the deal is with footpaths and cars blocking them?

I had been told that a wheelchair at least needs to get by on the footpath, yet many properties have vehicles that completely block the footpath

Is it council by council rules or something else?

Many people are just selfish pricks who think nothing of parking across the footpath rather than on the street, forcing people with prams or walking out onto the street to get past.

I encounter a number of them on my dog walks, gets really annoying. My dog is a boy and while I usually dont like him cocking his leg on other peoples property, I never seemn to notice it when its on cars parked across the footpath.

Its generally up to councils to enforce/fine vehicles.

oh gawd, my brother in law does this on the rare occasions he comes to visit. We're thinking of getting some of those bright orange bollards to put out next time he's expected. We've told him not to do it - and suggested it's not that far to walk in from the kerb, but he persists. :rolleyes: I agree - so selfish. Also thinking of ringing the council next time he's over and making an ''anonymous'' complaint. Happy families :D

I take the kids for walks in the pram and I hate having to wheel off the kerb to the road and back up again. With nearly 30kg of kids in a 10kg stroller it's no fun. I do particularly like it when the offenders are outside having a chat and my 3 year old says "oh mummy, a silly person has put theie car here again".

the australian standard for footpath width for wheelchairs is 1000-1200mm, so I imagine that should be the distabce left.. but more if the driveway is sloped.
I obviously have gotten used to quiet streets.. almost noone uses the footpath here or the nature strip in my old house. everyone walks on the street!

the council wants to put a footpath on my side of the street and is calling for opinions. is a footpath a good, bad or indifferent thing?

the council wants to put a footpath on my side of the street and is calling for opinions. is a footpath a good, bad or indifferent thing?

It's good for dilineation of your property and the council verge ;)

Though they never mow thier part, I wonder how i would go sending them a reciept for mowing/fertilizer or a water usage bill?

We have one out the front of the property and besides making sure no one is there when you reverse out, its no hasssles. Following the footpath all the way down to the kids school is great and beats walking across the neighbours lawns/council verges

Thanks for that feedback. I think I am indifferent or slightly positive in that at least the council is doing positive things. this foot path is right on the edge of the road, i.e. it's not set back into the verge area.

I wonder how I would go sending them a reciept for mowing/fertilizer or a water usage bill?

....you wouldn't go very far at all....

Councils with their verges are very similar to commercial Landlords.

They own it, they control it, but you are responsible for it in all respects.

If you wish to use their verge 'officially', such as a laydown area whilst you renovate or build, you must pay them a "verge bond" such that they may use the money to repair the verge after you've finished.

I spoke with our local council on this when they insisted I plant a tree (of their choosing and my cost) on the verge.

Everything got ironed out very quickly. After the phone call, I knew what it was like being one of my commercial Tenants.

Thanks Dazz

"verge bond"

Is it a game all can play?

i.e. if you have a vacant block in a new estate and the neighbours builders leave frames, etc etc on your block whilst they build, can you hit them up for the same ;):confused:

Find out an area they have built one recently in and drive past. One council locally is notorious for installing paths and leaving a mess. ie damaged driveways, slopes cut level then not retained etc.

Thankfully the others in my area are pretty good at fixing things up.

....you wouldn't go very far at all....

Councils with their verges are very similar to commercial Landlords.

They own it, they control it, but you are responsible for it in all respects.

If you wish to use their verge 'officially', such as a laydown area whilst you renovate or build, you must pay them a "verge bond" such that they may use the money to repair the verge after you've finished.

I spoke with our local council on this when they insisted I plant a tree (of their choosing and my cost) on the verge.

Everything got ironed out very quickly. After the phone call, I knew what it was like being one of my commercial Tenants.

This really annoys me - the council don't maintain the trees on them but we aren't allowed to trim them ourselves but we are expected to mow the grass!

This really annoys me

Cheer up....once you realise you have no rights, but must shoulder all of the responsibility, everything runs sweetly with the Council.

A residential property owner really does take the cake for being the ultimate wood-duck.

They cop it from both the Tenant and the Council. Rejoice !! :)

A residential property owner really does take the cake for being the ultimate wood-duck.

They cop it from both the Tenant and the Council. Rejoice !! :)

let's not forget state revenue office, water corporation and property managers. There must be a myriad of other leaches waiting to slip their hand into a resi IP owner's pocket most of them having their outrageous charges protected by the right to take security over the real estate (and ultimately possession and sale) or powerful advocacy groups.

council sent me a fine for $100 or so for advertising a car for sale on what I thought was my land. Turned out half the car was on the nature strip (acreage). I asked them to prove it was their land, they sent me an RP data printout.

I sent them a bill for $117,000 for 21 years of maintenance and repairs we had to do (it flooded frequently) as a result of their nature strip.

Never heard from them again. 9 years on.

Bit off topic, but I just love having a win against an opportunistic council......

Back