Forging Wife's Signature on loan

Problem with this type of ruling is that now banks are going to be even stricter on IDing customers even though in the vast majority of cases it's excessive, time-consuming and unnecessary.

Problem with this type of ruling is that now banks are going to be even stricter on IDing customers even though in the vast majority of cases it's excessive, time-consuming and unnecessary.

if they start a series of knee-jerk reactions over one forged signature.....what else will we need to prove our identity?

maybe we can take a photo once a day, every day from the day of our birth. that way, we can submit seven thousand photos from our DOB to our time of application to prove the timeline of our personage so that the photo matches the one on the passport/DL.

The lender could have taken better care and ensured a sensible witness requirment and CHECKED the contact details of the witness.

Lots of ways to work to minimise fraud, but you will never eliminate it

ta
rolf

Another good one is where parents are used for guarantee a loan and then later claim they couldn't speak english at the time and/or didn't understand what they were signing. There are many cases on this sort of thing with the bank often losing.

"He must have known that this was highly irregular. He took some trouble in forging his wife's signature, effecting in some cases a reasonable likeness to her true signature.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/bus...s-signature-20110919-1khkl.html#ixzz1YSnvcFz6

I hope the bank pursues him for a criminal conviction...

Otherwise there will be people in mortgage stress all over the country defaulting on their loans after this.

This is not uncommon at all! Possibly it is uncommon that she did not know of it but often people forge their spouses sig with their consent. I wonder if consent would make any difference, i.e. was it important that in addition to not signing she was also detached from such decisions in this case?

...his [Matthew Perrin's] $150 million fortune evaporated after a failed Chinese investment

I remember when that was all over the media, but still... :eek:

I've got no problem - just this week we had an italian guy - legally paolo but paul. 2 identities which we shut down the english one (well merged it anyway)

Billabong execs would have an ultra personal business banker. Not your normal run of the mill branchie

The Commonwealth Bank has failed to recover a $13.5 million loan after a court ruled former Billabong surfwear entrepreneur Matthew Perrin forged his ex-wife's signature on mortgage documents to obtain the money.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/bus...s-signature-20110919-1khkl.html#ixzz1YPqdbn3u

As I have no shares in CBA or business dealings with them my response is;

haha_nelson.jpg

But as I give it a bit more thought:
lol.jpg

Somewhere along the way this story doesn't add up.

Mr Perrin, who was Billabong chief executive from 1999 to 2002, had provided the bank with documents and a guarantee relating to mortgages taken out over the family's sprawling Cronin Island home, held in his wife's name.

If the property was in his wife's name there would have been mortgage documents in his wife's name, and a guarantee in his wife's name.The mortgage documents need to be witnessed by a witnessing officer in accordance with Schedule 1 of the Land Title Act 1994 so they must be a Legal Practitioner, JP or Commissioner of Declarations. The guarantee would have to be signed in front of a solicitor who has explained the obligations of the guarantee which would include the possibility of losing the mortgaged property to the bank. I would have thought that if the bank had done it's paperwork correctly all it needed to do was call in one of these people to testify they witnessed the signature. This obviously couldn't be done so the bank was on to a loser from the start.

One has to ask why someone that made $200 million from the float of his company didn't stuff $20 million in the mattress just incase everything went t*ts up.

I think the article also mentioned him having a power of attorney. So, maybe he forged the wife's signature on that and then did the loan. But I doubt a bank would accept a guarantee from a power of attorney. Also a solicitor would have had to witness the signing of the POA and have given an explanation.

Back