Frameless sliding shower screen

We are slowly gathering products and ideas for a bathroom renovation in our PPOR. I've found a website that can do a sliding frameless shower screen door which I like. They don't have a distributor in Brisbane but can make a door from our measurements and send it to Brisbane.

We are planning on having a tiled floor running into the shower area. I think the tiler will put some sort of hidden strip at the edge of the tiles just outside where the glass screen would go to stop any water creeping out. I'm not quite sure if this is something done normally.

We could get the floor and walls tiled and then measure and have the screen sent up and find someone prepared to install it, but I would prefer to have the company measure up and install.

Does anybody know if there are companies in Brisbane that do this sliding door set-up. It looks from the photo that the sliding mechanism doubles as a towel rail?

Has anybody seen this type of screen in action? Or know anybody with one. I just really like the idea of being able to leave the door open to let the cubicle dry out without having it swinging open and getting in the way.

http://www.renovationd.com.au/10001...ng-frameless-shower-screen-roller-p-1146.html

Gosh I wish I had googled before I posted my question :D.

Second question... Does anybody have any real life experience or know anybody who has put in a glass door with bath and shower in a "wet room" type set up?

I really like this idea and could glass off half our bathroom with bath and shower in the one "wet" area and keep the basin and loo dry. A bathroom renovation company I visited told me it all looks great on the television, but in reality they didn't recommend this set up at all.

I'm assuming it might mean that everything in that "wet area" stays wet for a long time and even a freestanding bath would get drops left on it constantly.

I'm just not sure why they advised against it. They didn't elaborate but simply pooh-poohed the idea for real life.

Anybody have any experience of such a set up?

hi Wylie, not sure how much help I can be ;) as we don't have one of these set ups. Personally, I've always thought they'd mean the whole bath area would get wet and stay wet.
It may be a good idea, depending on the shape of your room though - handy in a long room with the bath at one end, for instance.
We do have the walk in shower in our ensuite - just a sheet of glass as a screen, but not door. Overall, it's great - lovely big shower, fewer places for soap scum to gather. It is a wee bit cold on Melbourne winter mornings though, at least till the water heats up. I suspect the good old shower screen door helps to keep the heat in too. But probably not a problem for you up in Brisbane :D.
We're soon to embark on a PPOR bathroom reno (just gotta do the kitchen and living area first. Sigh). I'll probably replicate the walk-in shower there - but not as a wet area.
cheers.

Thanks Tuppence.

We are a bit soft up here in Brisbane. Anything under about 15 degrees is freezing :D.

I don't like the enclosed feeling of glass screens around baths and I hate the cleaning involved in all that glass and grout so we opted for a shower curtain which I replace every six months or so when it gets horrible :eek:. I feel very enclosed with a full screen but too cold to want a half screen.

However, even here in a Brisbane winter, having an open shower is chilly in a larger room. I have showered lately with the curtain open to see how I like the feeling and temperature of an unenclosed shower and it is quite amazing how having a full screen (or full curtain) keeps the warmth in.

So, it is too cold for me to have an open shower area, though I love the look of them. I don't think I could possibly manage to even take off my clothes anywhere further south, let alone have an open shower area :D.

And I suppose that answers my question about a "wet room". It is too big to stop any drafts. I think I'll stick to the sliding door thing. Hubby isn't keen on a "wet room" set up so I'd have to convince him before going any further.

I'm now tossing up whether to pay extra and get frosted glass because it won't need to be cleaned as much. It will be just as dirty as clear, but will not show the spots. I just "know" that I will NOT be using a rubber blade thing every time I shower like would be needed to keep clear glass sparkling.

I would think there will be a mile between the price of the prefabbed model compared to the folks in Brisbane re you second supplier.

Best to try and source a Brisbane based reseller of the Chinese model to stay in the discount price bracket.

Cheers

There is a mile of difference. The Sydney one shown is $550 and a 1m x 1.2m one from Brisbane is $1720 + GST. Big difference. Extra for frosted glass.

Why do you call the Sydney one a "chinese" product? I'm guessing they make it in Sydney, but are you thinking they bring them in already made from China. I couldn't see anything on the site but haven't read the fine print as yet.

I could measure and order the Sydney one but would have to find someone prepared to fit it. That will cost money and there would be less care about damaging it because it would be our problem if it chips or smashes.

I haven't looked at your links, so could be well off here. But an issue we had with our ensuite reno in an older house is one of the usual ones - everything's out of square, including walls.
Careful measurements were vital. The glass guy came twice - once to measure and then again because he thought he'd got it wrong (and he had).
So, I guess I'd be a little wary of measuring it myself - but that just could be my head for numbers ;)
(oh yeah, and it's sponge baths all around down here from may-october :) )

There is a mile of difference. The Sydney one shown is $550 and a 1m x 1.2m one from Brisbane is $1720 + GST. Big difference. Extra for frosted glass.

Why do you call the Sydney one a "chinese" product? I'm guessing they make it in Sydney, but are you thinking they bring them in already made from China. I couldn't see anything on the site but haven't read the fine print as yet.

I could measure and order the Sydney one but would have to find someone prepared to fit it. That will cost money and there would be less care about damaging it because it would be our problem if it chips or smashes.

Anywhere where it quotes a pre sized product you can just about bet your bottom dollar that they are all made in China.

The Brisbane product is in all likelihood a custom made product but then you are paying for it but it will take into account the unsquare walls.

If you do the bath room and find that you have ended up with square walls and wall and floor are at 90 degrees then you should be able to use the Chinese product without a worry.

We use them all the time even when we are out substantially and simply use lots of silicone. Nobody really notices and on first look it still looks a knockout.

They are really easy to fit if everything is square.

By the way they don't chip they just break into many pieces.:D

When last I picked some up the guy at the warehouse assured me that the screen wasn't broken as he could pick it up. If it had broken it would have been in pieces and no longer ridged enough to pick up.

Back