Fridge is too cold

Agreed, my mother recently got rid of Kelvin (Kelvinator) who has been in her life for almost 40 years, two marriages and 3 states and replaced it with a more svelte version Sam (samsung) who has already started giving her grief after a few years.

She can now understand why I suggested repairing Kelvin would be the better option.

It's quite possible though that the new one will run with a lot less energy that the old one.

The last time we got a new fridge to replace o much older one, I could get a lager capacity to fit in the same space as the insulating materials made much thinner walls.

Sounds exactly like the problem we had with our fridge. They tested the temperature over 24 hours and at times it got down to -43 degrees! I can't remember what it was now (don't think it was the thermostat) but it cost over $400 to fix it.

So I have a 12 year old fridge.

Just lately the food is freezing at the bottom of it. I've turned it down as low as possible but still getting drinks freezing etc.

I don't know much about fridges but I'm thinking dodgy thermostat. Any other ideas?

Simon
I am going against the grain and calling a spade a shovel, get a bloody new fridge, you can buy second hand for $300, its 12 years old about time:p

MTR:)
PS
Hope you will you still doggy sit after that rant;)....

Simon
I am going against the grain and calling a spade a shovel, get a bloody new fridge, you can buy second hand for $300, its 12 years old about time:p

MTR:)
PS
Hope you will you still doggy sit after that rant;)....
I'm in between fridges/houses, just picked one up for $350. It's 8 months old. What, Simon is doggy sitting? When is he free??

It's quite possible though that the new one will run with a lot less energy that the old one.
How many years would it take to burn through $1000 worth of extra electricity?
Will you ever see a return on that outlay?

Its the same argument I use with people who spend $30k and more buying a more fuel efficient car.
$25,000 buys a lot of petrol for that $5000 car they had.

I want to buy a new fridge.

But I am designing my PPOR and will choose the right fridge for the new kitchen, will buy it on completion.

I just need this one to last 6 more months then it can go to the tip or the recyclers or whoever wants it.

A fair point. It depends on the fridge. But they do use a lot of power.

According to this site , replacing a 1990 fridge with an energy efficient one will save about $490 in five years.

I can dog sit and horse sit. There should be a joke in there for you Geoff ...

Lizzie will give me a reference.

I can dog sit and horse sit. There should be a joke in there for you Geoff ...

Lizzie will give me a reference.

Only the one about the rabbit in the fridge. It was a frigid hare. Who later on was westing in his Westinghouse.

I'm trying not to step in the dog sit.

I want to buy a new fridge.

But I am designing my PPOR and will choose the right fridge for the new kitchen, will buy it on completion.

I just need this one to last 6 more months then it can go to the tip or the recyclers or whoever wants it.

What I meant was rather than buy your $2000? Fridge now that may not suit new kitchen, or put up with frozen eggs and lettuce, buy a $200-$300 temp second hand fridge now and sell it for around the same price in 6 months time.

Back