Garages Converted into Bedrooms - and Granny Flats

Do you think Owners should be able to convert their Garage into a Bedroom?

• No

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • Yes - it's their house, they can do what they like.

Votes: 59 66.3%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
I think certain rules need be adhered to with granny flats. One thing i do dislike is the garage conversion to granny flat, mainly because owners choose to design it to maximise rent and disregard the outside facade.

Unfortunately from the outside it looks like crap and i think it devalues the entire area as a result (well one garage conversion wont, but if others follow it will).

I think granny flats are a poor idea for dealing with population/demand concerns.

You just end up with a lot of hodge podge buildings everywhere.

If people are happier with the higher density, rather than build hodge podge granny flats which are still a poor use of land. Why not just have the council rezone area's for higher density.

I think granny flats destroy the idea of needing to have large blocks/houses, if people just turn around and build over their back yard anyway. Just get the density right in the first place.

Why not just have the council rezone area's for higher density.

I understand the sentiment, but the laws under which granny flats are built in NSW are nothing to do with local council zones as much as they are with the NSW Dept of Planning issuing blanket legislation on a state-wise basis.

I understand the sentiment, but the laws under which granny flats are built in NSW are nothing to do with local council zones as much as they are with the NSW Dept of Planning issuing blanket legislation on a state-wise basis.

And further to that, the costs of a landowner lead rezoning are quite high.

Council Fines?

Hey everyone, i know that everyone talks about illegal shed conversions, illegal renovations etc, but does anyone actually know what the implications are?
Do the council have power to make you remove and demolish the Granny flat after its built? or do they just fine you once and say you can't put tenants in it?

In Qld

~$2,200 fine per day by a Council officer
Huge fines if court prosecution

More if owned by a company

Council will often require a stat dec to say that you have complied with an Enforcement Notice. Criminal act if you lie.

I voted yes. As a younger lad (all those years ago :eek:) I used to live in a granny flat and loved it.

The house was owned by a friend of a friend who was always easy to get a long with. The granny flat was an ex shed and had a small kitchen, bathroom and a reasonably large living/bedroom. I separated the 'bedroom' from the living space using a cupboard and screens. I could gain access to my 'flat' without entering or disturbing the main household so could come and go as I pleased. I loved it (I even had ocean views) all for about $150/wk.

Life was simple back then.

As an investor they can make good sense, so if planned properly, why not.

Blacky

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on owners who convert garages into bedrooms?

Like this:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-macgregor-112985427

Is it illegal to convert garages into bedrooms?

I don't get how some people in the community are against it. What's the big deal?

If people want to sleep in a room that doesn't exactly have 2.4m height ceiling let them?

Do you think owners should be able to convert their garages or rumpus into a bedroom? (Owners get more rent and are also providing the much needed accommodation for the community.)

Geez Bathrooms:5 in that example

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on owners who convert garages into bedrooms?

Like this:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-macgregor-112985427

Is it illegal to convert garages into bedrooms?

I don't get how some people in the community are against it. What's the big deal?

If people want to sleep in a room that doesn't exactly have 2.4m height ceiling let them?

Do you think owners should be able to convert their garages or rumpus into a bedroom? (Owners get more rent and are also providing the much needed accommodation for the community.)

I have been renting out a property in Syd now for 5 years, rear property is one bedroom accommodation with toilet/shower, but no kitchen. When purchased we built an undercover patio with outdoor kitchenette and laundry, perhaps spent $4000. It rents for $220 pw.

Its not legal but there is a demand and practically every granny flat I viewed was not legal and still tenanted. Perhaps authorities turn a blind eye because there is such a high demand for rentals.

Also have dual accommodation in QLD.

Can not argue with the figures, purchased Syd property for $315,000, front renting for $400 pw and rear for $220 pw. If I see an opportunity to add cashflow I go for it. As mentioned I have yet to view a granny flat that is legal.

Wish the same rules applied to Queensland. Our planning laws are Draconian.
18 months and counting to try and get a granny flat approved.
And Yes to the question - Can the Council order you to tear it down...
A.

Yeah they should be able to if it does not affect anyone else.
Why shouldn't they? Sadly enough, there are plenty of nosey,
Ppl out there with nothing else better to do than to stick their noses into neighbour's business and whinge about how they think Ppl should behave.

If it doesn't affect you, and you don't like something because of your self righteous principles, then suck it up and get over it.

Hi

Renting out Granny Flat separately is very illegal in Brisbane. Becomes a Multi-Unit Dwelling.

D

But if it's council approved, you can I'm sure??

I voted yes too. I lived in a converted double garage while I was a student. It was far nicer to have my little flat out the back of someones home, than live in a unit block up flights of stairs. I got to enjoy a nice quiet, leafy suburb without having to rent a huge house. I do however agree with another poster about parking. I still had off street parking, which is important.

But if it's council approved, you can I'm sure??

There is a legal difference between the building and the use.

Under current council regulations a residential property that is used by more than one household, domestic group or distinct individual is a multi-unit dwelling regardless of the built form. Technically renting rooms to different people in a house is a multi-unit dwelling.

Council will only approve a granny flat for use as part of the household group.

I am currently representing a group of property owners challenging the definition of a multi-unit dwelling (in Brisbane City Council ) in the Planning and Environment Court. If we win the above definition will change. However, BCC is perfectly free to change the definition in the City Plan to suit their intentions anyway. Besides that, the new City Plan 2012 is much more stringent on this, residents in a house/ granny flat must share the common expenses of life and I can't find any holes in it.

D

I am currently in the process of purchasing a property that has the separate garage converted to a sleep out at the rear of the property. There is already a shower and toilet in the adjacent laundry block. I was planning on living in the garage/sleepout and adding a small kitchenette as it is all I would need. My girlfriend wants to rent out the house. I plan to live like this for a couple for years before I can build some capital to build a proper granny flat. I realise this will be illegal but I don't make noise and am work most of the time so I can't see it being a bother to anyone.

I am currently in the process of purchasing a property that has the separate garage converted to a sleep out at the rear of the property. There is already a shower and toilet in the adjacent laundry block. I was planning on living in the garage/sleepout and adding a small kitchenette as it is all I would need. My girlfriend wants to rent out the house. I plan to live like this for a couple for years before I can build some capital to build a proper granny flat. I realise this will be illegal but I don't make noise and am work most of the time so I can't see it being a bother to anyone.

Sounds like a good plan to me. May not technically be legal but honestly who gives a crap. It's accepting a little bit of risk to your plan for the potential profit. Much like any other investment.

The only time Council gives a crap is someone/neighbors has made a complaint to them. Once they inspect or have a file on your inhabitant they will not leave you alone..
Then your risk is Council will require you to vacate, and you're homeless because you can't vacate your front house tenant within a lease.
If you're in the central coast, the council there seem don't take a blind eye and will take action.

For example, below property I inquired about early to found Council requesting a list of things to be completed before it's habitable. The owner decided to take down the bedroom wall instead, because he thinks the list is too long to and expensive to complete.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-lake munmorah-116194839

In Qld

~$2,200 fine per day by a Council officer
Huge fines if court prosecution

More if owned by a company

Council will often require a stat dec to say that you have complied with an Enforcement Notice. Criminal act if you lie.

Mate, are you saying council will try to work out exactly how many days the granny flat has been rented illegally and than multiply the number of days by $2200? So if a gf had been rented illegally for 12 months the council would fine the landlord $800,000. If that is what your saying... Is this fine capped at a certain amount? My question specifically relates to BCC.

Regards,
Clint

The only time Council gives a crap is someone/neighbors has made a complaint to them. Once they inspect or have a file on your inhabitant they will not leave you alone..
Then your risk is Council will require you to vacate, and you're homeless because you can't vacate your front house tenant within a lease.
If you're in the central coast, the council there seem don't take a blind eye and will take action.

For example, below property I inquired about early to found Council requesting a list of things to be completed before it's habitable. The owner decided to take down the bedroom wall instead, because he thinks the list is too long to and expensive to complete.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-lake munmorah-116194839

What sort of things did you ask the council to find out that the house is inhabitable. The building inspections I did was ok.

Mate, are you saying council will try to work out exactly how many days the granny flat has been rented illegally and than multiply the number of days by $2200? So if a gf had been rented illegally for 12 months the council would fine the landlord $800,000. If that is what your saying... Is this fine capped at a certain amount? My question specifically relates to BCC.

Regards,
Clint

I'm pretty sure it goes:

(1) Council show cause notice, options = respond explaining why they have got it wrong or remedy situation within x number of days (might mean ceasing the lease at the lease's end and removing seperate metering).

(2) Not remedied within x number of days then for every day thereafter it's a $2200 fine.

(3) Still not remedied then court proceedings and further costs.

Back