Garages Converted into Bedrooms - and Granny Flats

Do you think Owners should be able to convert their Garage into a Bedroom?

• No

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • Yes - it's their house, they can do what they like.

Votes: 59 66.3%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
What sort of things did you ask the council to find out that the house is inhabitable. The building inspections I did was ok.

I am not sure a $300 Building Inspection, the inspector would make a call to Council to ask if a particular studio/garage converted is council approved.
A quick call to council saying you want to buy this property and ask if a particular studio/garage is approved for what you saw.

I'm pretty sure it goes:

(1) Council show cause notice, options = respond explaining why they have got it wrong or remedy situation within x number of days (might mean ceasing the lease at the lease's end and removing seperate metering).

(2) Not remedied within x number of days then for every day thereafter it's a $2200 fine.

(3) Still not remedied then court proceedings and further costs.

Sounds fair to me. So basically even though you may be doing the wrong thing, so long as you are prepared to remedy the situation within councils time frame there is a strong possibility you wont incur any fine at all?

Regards,
Clint.

I certainly don't have a problem with it, but - common sense has to prevail. Do I want to be surrounded by slums with 20 people living in each one with cars all over the place? Of course not.

In saying that, like an above poster said, generally speaking our planning laws are draconian, far too bureaucratic, and outdated.

People need places to live, including cheap places. Investors want money, and in the vast majority of cases, will take that extra $300 or so per week for venturing into "grey" legal territory.

As someone on the investor/landlord side of things, I've certainly bent the rules with a few of my ventures. BUT - I'm not breaking any "common sense" rules.

I am in full support of people converting garages/adding rooms as long as the following rules are met

- Saftey. Smoke alarms. Fire proof walls. Anyone who doesnt do this should be ashamed for putting their tenants at risk!
- Adequate car parking
- Presentability of the home to the street front
- Not overdoing it. (i.e I've heard of a guy cramming 20 of his korean workers in a house...yeah...dont do that).
- Keep any impact to your neighbors life to an absolute minimum.

Back