Getting rid of a swimming pool

Hi All
currently looking at doing a development at the rear.

Need to get rid of the fibreglass swimming pool and have been told that I would need an engineer to inspect this.

Anyone got any ideas on costings for this or cheapest way around this.

I always thought I could just fill in pool with sand, don't think it is that simple.

Cheers, MTR

Pool has to be removed or the bottom smashed out, being fibreglass maybe you can give/sell the shell to a pool refurbishment company (I know they exist in WA). They will normally come along and remove it, and fill with clean fill free of charge.

Just filling it with dirt will cause major issues due to it still holding water (from rains etc)

G'Day MTR

Pool needs to be removed as Memphis says. If its old and of no worth, it can be cut into pieces with a suitable cutting disk and pieces removed, then filled in. Cost is not great as no crane or large truck required. :)

As the others have said - try selling it first - with the purchaser to remove.
Sometimes swimming pool companies themselves will buy it and remove it and sell to their cheapskate customers (they probably won't want to pay you for it but if they take it away for free - you only have to fill in the hole).

Maybe they are looking for a place to dump their fill from the last pool they sold and are installing - so you might get some free fill too.;)

Re. filling the hole - if you are going to develop the land, I would think you would have to fill and compact in accordance with engineers specifications.

Re. filling the hole - if you are going to develop the land, I would think you would have to fill and compact in accordance with engineers specifications.

I second the above. You would also need to factor the pool even when removed for engineering in terms of footings eg ascertaining if screw piles would be required etc.

I second the above. You would also need to factor the pool even when removed for engineering in terms of footings eg ascertaining if screw piles would be required etc.

Hi,

I am actually in the process of doing this now. I have an in ground concrete pool which needs to be removed and filled as I will be developing the block. My engineer has advised me to completely remove the pool and fill it with clean fill. Try and compact it as much as possible in 150mm levels if possible. However, having said this, regardless of the compaction achieved you will still need to use concrete piers in this area.

I have been told that the best compaction is achieved is by using cement stabalised sand (3% from memory) but even if you did this, piering will still be required in that area. Not really worth it given the cost of $150 per cubic meter!

Ozi

Slightly OT, but if buying an already subdivided block to build on, it's worth looking up old google earth pictures (if you can) to see if the block once had a pool in it.

I know of a guy that filled one with dirt, and sold the land a couple years later (overgrown with weeds), without disclosing the fact that a pool was once in the backyard.

Thanks everyone.
I should have a better idea of costings in a couple of months will post this just out of interest.

Cheers, MTR

Back