Getting up early - I'm hopeless !!!

Mick, it's not what time you wake up that matters, it's what you do with the time that you are awake that counts. I wake up at 8, get out of bed usually a half hour later and most days, have everything done I need to get done by 1 or 2 in the afternoon - and that includes an hour of exercise and time out to eat.

Make sure you get a solid 8 hours sleep, that is the most important thing.

Also, 5'9" and 120 kgs? Goodness gracious, you're not unhealthy, you're considerably overweight. Time to accept that fact and do something about it. Losing the weight will help you sleep better, which will then allow you to be more productive in the hours you are awake.

I get up around 9:30am - 10am on weekdays.
I get up around midday on weekends.
It takes me one hour after waking up to become communicative (2 cups of coffee, no missed calls answered before then).

And yet my investment returns have been far above normal.

I should post that for most of my adult life I have owned hospitality businesses.

8 hours sleep preferable. 10 hours ideal

I am not a morning person. I hate getting up early. Few years ago, I was getting up by 5.30 to go to work by 6. I hated it each day for 18 months. Now start work by 9 or 11 and get up by 8.30 or 9. I enjoy my sleep!

If you cannot get up early, start work late. Not everyone is a morning person.

Also, 5'9" and 120 kgs? Goodness gracious, you're not unhealthy, you're considerably overweight.

I agree - I am 5'7" and at 71kg consider myself overweight. Even tho I am female, I know the extra 5-10kgs I am carrying affects my ability to concentrate and sleep.

Have you consider that sleep apnoea might be a problem and this is why you are waking tired and unrefreshed?

Perhaps you and your wife need to carve out some time before the kids go to bed - it's healthy for kids to see parents showing affection and conversing - and it's good for them to learn that they are not the centre of attention all the time. Perhaps while over cooking dinner, or as soon as you get home and unwind - or, when the days get longer, go for a walk as a family and you and your wife can catch up chatting then.

And surely the load of washing (and other chores) can be done before the kids tuck down - they could even help as, if they're going to bed at 9.30-ish, they should be old enough.

I hate alarm clocks.We go to bed at midnight every night.
I usually wake up at 6, then go back to sleep and the next time I wake up, I get up. That varies from 6:45-7:30.
Our 'work day' starts at 8:30.

This is our schedule every day..including weekends.

I think if you keep to a set schedule, it might help.
Also, if you need to set an alarm..keep it out of reach so you must get out of bed to shut it off. Ours is in the kitchen for those few occassions we can't be late for an appointment.

I agree - I am 5'7" and at 71kg consider myself overweight.

Hi Lizzie, I am 6'3" and at one point I was pushing 100kgs. Blech, it's making me feel sick just thinking about it. So gross. But being half a foot shorter and adding another 20kgs? (I mean Mick, not you). Crikey. Anyway, I wasn't 'fat' per se but I was well on the way there. This was around the time my brother got married, so there is plenty of photo evidence... urgh. I rememver the shirt I wore on the day was kind of... snug, but once I started getting into shape, after a while it was like wearing a tent!

Anyway, doing much better these days! At around 85kgs at the moment, looking to get rid of about another 5kgs and she'll be apples. When I moved back to Melbourne from Brisbane 18 months ago, I went a bit silly and slacked off majorly on the exercise and packed on a bunch of weight in record time, but back on the regimen now and feeling (and looking!) a lot better.

Every day I am one step closer to being devilishly handsome again.

I hope this is not offensive to Mick and I'm saying it in the nicest possible way but at a height of 175cm, a weight of over 123kg places you in the category of morbid obesity (BMI over 40). I suggest you probably have a chat to your doctor about strategies you can put in places immediately to start addressing this as it can catch up with you very quickly. I wish you the best with this and again, hope I don't come across as rude.

cimbom, giving the guy a wake up call he sorely needs is not rude in the slightest.

Sometimes people need a slap upside the head to come back to reality and get the motivation needed to do something about their situation.

You guys are mean. Mick is obviously a shorter, lighter version of Australia's strongest man, Ben Simpson (6' 1" 130kg).

1150839_545081382225885_1416575236_n.jpg

Bed before 9:30pm ?!!!

By the time I put my kids to bed, that leave me about an hour to do my own thing. Id get nothing else done hahaha....

I really think my issue is simple laziness... Goal for tomorrow morning is in the shower by 6:30am... Watch this space :D

No follow up post at 6:30, although Mick did hit the chat room at 9:18am.

pinkboy

HI guys, I've been getting to work on time the last few days so somethings working. :D

Regarding the weight issue, I stood on the scales and I'm actually 113kg, not 120kg. Not great but thought id share. :D I did power lifting in my early years and I do carry my weight quite well, however, 20-25kg of fat would be good to loose.

I have a day off work tomorrow so ill be out in the yard as usual or doing some sort of renovation work to keep active.

Thanks for the input everyone !!! :D Much appreciated.

Stop making excuses

I find if commit to wake up early and I don't I will be in a grumpy mood all day.
Since number 1 bub arrived I don't do any workouts at night all as my time is spent with the wife and the new arrival.

So now I am up an hour earlier 4 times a week at 4am to complete my workout. At the start if I slept through I would curse myself all day and feel crap. But now its not a problem as I feel satisfied for doing so and achieving something. It makes me feel energized for the day ahead.

If you really want to get up early you will. Stop making excuses.

Another important thing to mention is the power of habit (good book by the same title I might add).

If you can stick to a routine for 3-4 weeks, it usually goes from being an effort, to a default, and henceforth it's a piece of cake.

Yeh, creating a new habit for 30 days is key I guess.

I am unsure if I have sleep apnoea, I do not wake during the night though but I do snore like a freight train according to my wifey.

I think I am just a procrastinator on a high level.

I am quite pro-active on the days I have to go to work, ( I sell cars for a living), but while at home I usually sleep in till after 10am.

Sleep apnoea and snoring go hand in hand ... you won't know that you wake as it's only enough for you to start breathing.

Ask your wife if you stop breathing for periods of time.

Back