Gladstone QLD - How is it Going????

Telina is closer to the CBD that Stockwood estate by about 2min drive. I have not looked at that end of Kirkwood Rd in a while so I dont know if they have started clearing any trees for Stockwood yet. I will look on Saturday and post back.
The only spot on Bradford Rd that this estate could be build would back onto a railway line. It is near Kin Kora Primary School and a SuperIGA shopping centre.

Just something for interest sake so this is written down with a date on it.

On realestate.com.au there are 930 properties for sale in Gladstone and 77 for rent. This is including the surrounding suburbs. The suburb rating is 37 out of 100.

There are 634 for sale in Gladstone and 51 for rent if you take the tick off surrounding suburbs.

Will be interesting how the above changes over time. I know that more land can be released etc creating more properties for sale and there would be a lot of variables in this but if someone had these figures for a year ago it would be interesting to see.

Going off realestate.com....
In the Greater Region it is now up to 1666 properties for sale
537 of these properties are new dwellings or H/L packages
272 available for rent

And now Gerry Harvey wants to throw in 100 mill to accomodate more workers.

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/news/gerry-harvey-mining-housing-gladstone-real-estate/1580186/

Yes he is providing temporary accommodation which will assist with smoothing out the peaks in demand. Note that this type of accommodation costs $200-$250 per person per night. It is a very different market to normal residential accommodation.

Going off realestate.com....
In the Greater Region it is now up to 1666 properties for sale
537 of these properties are new dwellings or H/L packages
272 available for rent

It's over 2000 when I do a search, or 1800 excluding the under offer, the for sale map lights up like a christmas tree. You'd have to be brave to buy now in the face of all this. Looks like waves of people trying to get out before prices collapse.

It's over 2000 when I do a search, or 1800 excluding the under offer, the for sale map lights up like a christmas tree. You'd have to be brave to buy now in the face of all this. Looks like waves of people trying to get out before prices collapse.

It might level out a bit with all the new stock, but I dont see that prices will collapse.

Just part of the fun of the Gladstone market. If you want slow and steady, look elsewhere. There is still low vacancies, high yields, population growth, big investment pipeline..

Yeh right, prices collapse? don't think so,

news 11 October 2012:

Bechtel, the main engineering contractor on the $US25 billion of liquefied natural gas projects being built in Gladstone, Queensland, will more than double its manual workforce to exceed 6000 as it moves into the next stage but has “no near-term plans” to use overseas labour.

The workforce will grow from more than 2500 at present as Bechtel progresses into the mechanical, electrical and control systems work, Dick McIlhattan, LNG operations manager for the private US-based
company in Australia, said on Wednesday in Brisbane.

Mr McIlhattan said Bechtel was investing “heavily” in training and certifying its personnel to make sure the massive plants on Curtis Island could be built safely and to a high standard.

Yer agree with the powderfingers that expansion is large!! where is the best place to get accurate and honest vacancy rate data (not just the old record off realestate.com way)???

Bechtel, the main engineering contractor on the $US25 billion of liquefied natural gas projects being built in Gladstone, Queensland, will more than double its manual workforce to exceed 6000

But what happens when projects are nearing completion (after 2014) & the construction workforce starts transitioning to a much smaller operational workforce ?

The double workforce to over 6000 figure is a bit of a red herring. It was always going to be over 6000, which is why the island camp can hold 6000 people. From what I was last told this will be the peak workforce for the next 6-12 months then the first job will start ramping down. The three island jobs have also built close over 100 houses now to house their families.
As to vacancies we have a higher rate than Rockhampton which is 1hr drive north. This is the first time this has happened in years. Also houses are staying on the market for months. Which leads me to believe that people no longer wish to buy here.

The double workforce to over 6000 figure is a bit of a red herring. It was always going to be over 6000, which is why the island camp can hold 6000 people. From what I was last told this will be the peak workforce for the next 6-12 months then the first job will start ramping down. The three island jobs have also built close over 100 houses now to house their families.
As to vacancies we have a higher rate than Rockhampton which is 1hr drive north. This is the first time this has happened in years. Also houses are staying on the market for months. Which leads me to believe that people no longer wish to buy here.

The guy who owns our rental house has been trying to sell our place for nearly 3 months without success - we still have 5 months left to run on our lease. On the other hand I still hear plenty of cases of people managing to sell within a month.

Hi I just want to say how things change
Dysart now has approx 120 rentals available and you cant get a tenant many IP's are on offer around the $500/wk mark but they still remain vacant

A snippit from a email i just recieved:

" Huge announcements this week here in Gladstone as Boulder Steel take another step forward with their construction of $4Billion Steel Refinery at the engine room of the nation.
Gladstone's property market is set to skip along once again, even though our market has cooled slightly over the past few months. "

More information here http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-...ladstone-steel-plant/4315188?section=business

I understand that the construction workforce is about 2,000, with an operational workforce of 1,800.

Start time mooted for $4b Gladstone steel plant
By William Rollo
Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:00am AEDT

The head of a company proposing a $4 billion steel plant in Gladstone in central Queensland says it wants to start construction within the next two years.

Boulder Steel has signed an investment agreement with the China Metallurgical Corporation for a steel production plant in Gladstone and is in talks with two other Chinese steel firms.

The company has until the end of next month to lodge its environmental impact statement (EIS) but managing director David Simpson says it should be ready next week.

"We've been lodging it chapter by chapter with the coordinator general and it's not all lodged yet but the vast majority of it is lodged and will be by the end of next week," he said.

"The general number we're working on to start development [is] within about 18 months from now."

Mr Simpson says low commodity prices will not affect investment talks.

"Our potential investors are all long-term investors in what is in essence a heavy industry steel plant that'll be making steel slabs that'll be finished in someone else's rolling mill," he said.

"That's not the issue for us - the issue isn't really part of the connection as to whether an investor wants to invest in our project."

Back