glass splashback

anyone know of a 'cheap' place - glazier - to buy a kitchen splashback in melbourne?
some of the prices i have been quoted have been astronomical!

thanks!
:)

They are expensive, you can expect to pay any where from $350-$700m2. The only place I have seen cheaper than this which was only $250 for the whole thing was a Chinese kitchen place but they were using 6mm normal not hardened glass which doesn't meet AS. One reason they are expensive and quotes will vary a lot is that they cut the glass and holes in it first then they harden it, once it has hardened if they made any mistake they have to throw the whole piece away, for this reason they normally add a bit of fudge factor into their price so they are covered if something goes wrong.

if you're not determined on using glass you can nowadays buy some really nice wall tiles which have a similar effect....only about $55/m2 for some really nice/modern/contemporary looking stuff and considering you'd probably only need 2m2 of the thing it can work out to be alot more cost effective.

you can use normal toughened glass and paint the back white, the only drawback is you get no choice in colour it will appear that greeny spearmint colour because glass naturally has a green tinge.If you dont mind the colour the finish itself comes up fine.

I have that "natural" blue-green glass colour on my splashback and it actually looks quite nice - and is a bit cheaper :)

you can get glass without the green tint, called optiwhite as I remember. My father works for a place in Mordialloc that does this stuff, called Celcius. Not sure if they sell direct to public any more.

As already mentioned, if not fixed on glass splash back then id consider tiles. We pulled the pin on the glass splash back option as our place isnt in an area where people would appreaciate the $$$ of the splash back on resale so we went for a very nice tiled splash back with feature tiles. Came up really nice.

Cheers Jayro!

Hi Artemis

We've used all types of splashbacks including glass, stainless steel, tiles and mirror and found that nothing comes close to glass in terms of the look, overall value and maintenance.

Glass splashbacks aren't that expensive when you consider the amount of value that they add to a property. A seemless splashback like glass provides a huge "WOW factor" which some other finishes just don't appear to achieve.

Get at least three quotes and if you can stretch your budget you'll find you won't be disappointed. We find feature items in kitchens and bathrooms is always money well spent.

I have that "natural" blue-green glass colour on my splashback and it actually looks quite nice - and is a bit cheaper :)

you can get glass without the green tint, called optiwhite as I remember. My father works for a place in Mordialloc that does this stuff, called Celcius. Not sure if they sell direct to public any more.

I have used starphire glass (not sure if that is a trade name though), which allows any colour or at least colour matched to Dulux, Taubmans etc you want instead of the natural blue-green that dave99 refers to.

thanks for all your responses!

lukentel, looked at the website - unfortunately the product can't be used behind the stove top.

i do like the seamless look, and as i have spent so much on the benchtop, i might as well dig my way further into debt and splash out on a splashback!

thanks again :)

And of course it's cheaper if the kitchen is designed so that the glass doesn't need to have any holes cut in it i.e. if the tap handles and spout do not come through the glass.
Scott

we went with glass tiles still not cheap but effective these can be used around cooktops, cut around taps and other services, and you may be able to do it yourself

A cheaper way of getting glass splash backs is to approach the glass manufacturer with a template. Your measurements have to be fairly accurate in terms of the location of power points, over head cupboards and range hoods.

By doing this you cut out the middle man as all they do is measure and order from the manufacturer and install.

The only down side is that if your measurement is wrong then the glass will go to waste as toughened glass cannot be cut later.

Glass splash backs look fantastic and add a wow factor to kitchens. You can have them in any paint colour.

i want to put a mirrored splashback on our ppor (currently an ip) as it is a dark corner but the other side of the room has magnificant ocean views - so to reflect this into the dark area would be pretty neat.

Lizzie we bought a unit with a mirrored wall behind the small kitchen sink and benchtop. It reflects the ocean and makes the room look a lot brighter, it even makes you want to washup! The stove top is on the over wall so I am not sure how the mirror goes with heat or importantly moisture.

Jane

the sink will be on the island bench, but i'm thinking of making the benchtop wider to give some space between the cooktop and mirror - only to save on cleaning it!

Back