A great short of the global outlook is long gold because

Global outlook down
-> gold up
+
-> commodity economies down -> aud down
+
-> flight to USD -> AUD down further

= double win on fx and pog.

keep it quiet, but it's also a nice hedge for Aussie property. ;)

watching the technicals to switch from long to short. will be interesting to see if it drops beneath 1200 against friday fear in the US.

AUD is 0.85 USD today.

Gold $1225 USD but up strongly in AUD due to falling AUD (approx $1450

It is nice to see the market is unfolding as WW precluded :)

AUD is 0.85 USD today.

Gold $1225 USD but up strongly in AUD due to falling AUD (approx $1450

It is nice to see the market is unfolding as WW precluded :)

I thought gold would retrace down more than it did last thu/fri......that it didn't convinced me the fear and uncertainty is deep.

I think things will bounce around for a bit.....

The US fundamentals actually aren't too bad.....though the uncertainty is real regarding Europe and China.....China reckon they're serious (now :rolleyes:) about tightening credit, and there's no way the PIIGS will pull their heads in far enough. And France is a bit of a basket case in its own right, anyways, and isn't in a position to be bailing the PIIGS.

I keep hearing this. It's a bit hard to believe but maybe I'm wrong. :D

he would last all of 20 seconds on the usa dominated gold forum i'm a member off

the usa going to hell in a hand basket . house repo's hit a new high prices still falling , now stocks falling real unemployment (figures done the old way)over 20% .monster deficit .

will be choppy week in gold as friday is futures delivery day .so we may see a pull back then i expect the up trend to continue next week looking at a target of 1390/1400 ....... asx to fall further along with aussie dollar

he would last all of 20 seconds on the usa dominated gold forum i'm a member off

the usa going to hell in a hand basket . house repo's hit a new high prices still falling , now stocks falling real unemployment (figures done the old way)over 20% .monster deficit .

will be choppy week in gold as friday is futures delivery day .so we may see a pull back then i expect the up trend to continue next week looking at a target of 1390/1400 ....... asx to fall further along with aussie dollar

that's my analysis, hence closing out all long positions.

Get your buggy buddies to read this stuff, in addition to their stuff: :)
Building permits, housing starts, housing completions.
Non Farm Payroll,
These guys are well respected.

April10%20LEI.gif

Originally Posted by Sunfish
I keep hearing this. It's a bit hard to believe but maybe I'm wrong.

I am well read on the alternative view of the US. Have been so for many years.

What I have learned is that the members of YOUR chat site are prolly no better informed than the members of this or any other. That is: we are all observers. The REAL money, and privately held wealth in the US is enormous, still listen to advice from JP Morgan/Goldman Sacks and others. They are still very conservative and do not accept what you state as fact.

Don't bet against BIG money until the end is IMMEDIATE.

UP, gold bugginess has been a disease in the US for at least 10 years. Took me a while to wake up to that.....but eventually realized there was a lot of Wolf!!!! Wolf!!!

Went away and did a lot of reading.....and that has had me scaling into gold for 15 months and more recently trading PGMs.

UP, gold bugginess has been a disease in the US for at least 10 years. Took me a while to wake up to that.....but eventually realized there was a lot of Wolf!!!! Wolf!!!

Went away and did a lot of reading.....and that has had me scaling into gold for 15 months and more recently trading PGMs.

Simply being a gold bug is no guarantee of success. I've been a bug for years and while it is probable that I have done better than most, (I'm ahead of the game!) it has not been easy. Frankly, I have no idea who to believe.

This is why I tend to top up on my 'trading' gold when there isn't much talk about it. When all the forums are buzzing about gold, I take profits as hard as that is to do. Gold wasn't looking like it was going anywhere 6 months ago at $1200, trying to start a conversation about it would have left you standing by yourself at the watercooler. Suddenly it shoots up to $1450 and its suddenly a good time to buy ??

Its no difference to any traded commodity. People get more excited when its going up so they want to talk about it. This breeds even more excitement. Rarely do these big spikes hold for long.

I am well read on the alternative view of the US. Have been so for many years.

What I have learned is that the members of YOUR chat site are prolly no better informed than the members of this or any other. That is: we are all observers. The REAL money, and privately held wealth in the US is enormous, still listen to advice from JP Morgan/Goldman Sacks and others. They are still very conservative and do not accept what you state as fact.

Don't bet against BIG money until the end is IMMEDIATE.

listen to them . oh your timing is amazing

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aF5tV7uvY0FU&pos=4

May 19 (Bloomberg) -- Goldman Sachs Group Inc. racked up trading profits for itself every day last quarter. Clients who followed the firm’s investment advice fared far worse.

Seven of the investment bank’s nine “recommended top trades for 2010” have been money losers for investors who adopted the New York-based firm’s advice, according to data compiled by Bloomberg from a Goldman Sachs research note sent yesterday. Clients who used the tips lost 14 percent buying the Polish zloty versus the Japanese yen, 9.4 percent buying Chinese stocks in Hong Kong and 9.8 percent trading the British pound against the New Zealand dollar.

SF, I could see the gold bugs' logic, but thought it could be 10-20 years before they were right. A lot of the rhetoric has been pretty out there too....and attracted the ire of the well informed.

Nevertheless, Jim Puplava has had some outstanding guests on his show for years, and that has guided my reading and taking seriously the Austrian School and concerns about excessive credit and its effects on fiat currencies.

I honestly don't know why mainstream economists are so down hard on Mises and the excessive credit paradigm. Even SS's very own ex RBA employee derided it.

i would have been saying this when gold under 1000 aussie but only saw this place 2 weeks ago when i saw this thread .

cant see a safer place to park money atm .

aussie $ down 2.3% tonight called the top for that and the stock market too . sold last place in perth before prices crumbled .
all these calls recorded

look i feel things ain't right we been sold a load of bs by the gov and the media i,ve made some further out calls here in another thread
ill be around so lets see how things pan out

May 19 (Bloomberg) -- Goldman Sachs Group Inc. racked up trading profits for itself every day last quarter. Clients who followed the firm’s investment advice fared far worse.

Of course they did. GS "front runs" their client's buy/sell orders with their super fast puters. The client places an order and expects to match another individual. What happens is that GS buys/sells ahead of their client and then passes on the deal and pockets a penny. Pennys add up.

Even on the ASX you can find hundreds of stocks with, numerically, at least 50% of trades with values well under $100 per trade. The slang is "bot trading" short for "robot" but the trade calls it "algo" trading short for "algorithm" or "quant" for the "quantum maths" employed. If the ASX was fair dinkum they would not allow these puter traders to simply pay commission for total turnover at the end of the day. If they had to pay per trade as we do things would be different.

On the NYSE, these high speed algorithms account for over 60% of turnover so there is no way the private, for profit, exchanges will modify the rules.

BTW The mini crash last week had nothing to do with a trader's fat fingers. It is what happened when the puters all said "sell" at the same time.

Can't believe the hammering the AUD is getting at the moment. Its mostly due to the flight to the USD. Its like a game of which sinking fiat currency do you choose!

I'm happy as I've got a heap of US cash after a recent trip that I refused to change for 95 cents to our dollar. 85 cents I can live with!

Back