Gold-now $US1210/ounce

Can't believe the hammering the AUD is getting at the moment. Its mostly due to the flight to the USD. Its like a game of which sinking fiat currency do you choose!

I'm happy as I've got a heap of US cash after a recent trip that I refused to change for 95 cents to our dollar. 85 cents I can live with!
An hour ago I looked at the Kitco gold site and literally EVERYTHING (including the UA$) was down bar the J yen.

I'm happy too because I've got a qtr mil in the Loony which is up >5%. Diversification at work. :)

Of course they did. GS "front runs" their client's buy/sell orders with their super fast puters. The client places an order and expects to match another individual. What happens is that GS buys/sells ahead of their client and then passes on the deal and pockets a penny. Pennys add up.

Even on the ASX you can find hundreds of stocks with, numerically, at least 50% of trades with values well under $100 per trade. The slang is "bot trading" short for "robot" but the trade calls it "algo" trading short for "algorithm" or "quant" for the "quantum maths" employed. If the ASX was fair dinkum they would not allow these puter traders to simply pay commission for total turnover at the end of the day. If they had to pay per trade as we do things would be different.

On the NYSE, these high speed algorithms account for over 60% of turnover so there is no way the private, for profit, exchanges will modify the rules.

BTW The mini crash last week had nothing to do with a trader's fat fingers. It is what happened when the puters all said "sell" at the same time.

known all this for a long time .
no the gs perfect trading was their flash trading . average stock hold 11secs (ive posted about this ) the advise to clients is not following the flash trading . that was their top picks for the year . totally different .

ive made my thoughts well know lets wait and see.

ps. you realise i can short my stack too in corrections . hard to short a ip

Been buying for a while. Ag was A$7/oz when I started.

Bought a boxed set of four of these:

207282-KM-444-100-dollars-OL-Preparation.jpg

for $500. Sadly did not include Journey Begins but it is a beautiful coin and going for $1,000 on it's own.

Been buying for a while. Ag was A$7/oz when I started.

Bought a boxed set of four of these:

207282-KM-444-100-dollars-OL-Preparation.jpg

for $500. Sadly did not include Journey Begins but it is a beautiful coin and going for $1,000 on it's own.

very nice coins .something i may look at now i have the core holding i want

i have very few coins apart from pre 46 aussie ones and some round 50s .plus some i swaped with a guy for usa coins .

i tend to buy industrial silver bars and just poured gold bars (low premium)for long term holding but have a good mix of smaller sizes

very nice coins .something i may look at now i have the core holding i want

i have very few coins apart from pre 46 aussie ones and some round 50s .plus some i swaped with a guy for usa coins .

i tend to buy industrial silver bars and just poured gold bars (low premium)for long term holding but have a good mix of smaller sizes

I have mostly $200 coins from the 80's. I picked most of the up for face value from the banks. They were glad to get rid of them. Collectors had been holding them for years and when the gold price dropped to $140 per coin, they could only redeem them for face value.

Scored about 10 of them from a guy who ran a storage unit that had been unpaid. He was also happy to take $200 each.

I thought it was just a good free bet on the gold price. $200's are now selling for around $420 on ebay.

I remember the local dealer telling people walking in off the street with those $200 coins to take them to the bank. But he was a genuine numismatist. It was he who introduced me to the guy selling the set I spoke of above. He didn't want them. They were under spot at the time.

(posted this in another thread, but probably belongs here)

I've bought a bit of gold (as a hedge against equities), but was hoping to buy more. Waiting till next Friday after the options close. So far not a bad call as far as the gold price goes, but the $A slide is making it more expensive.

If we are talking of the same guy (I'm sure we are. :D) I musta missed that bit. He seemed dyed-in-the-wool Keynesian. If he were still with us I'm sure he would defend Henry's Super Tax.

Definitely a Keynesian. I meant he was against Austrians like Mises.
Print and print again was ok by him. Apparently the taxpayer has forever to pay off debt......would love to get his angle on the PIIGS.

As we were often reminded, the RBA has some of the smartest people in the galaxy working there.......makes you wonder why they didn't see GFC coming.....inverted yield curve, ever widening ted spread, and libor rate were warning something's up.

And now, many think the next rate move may be down, including John Edwards. The RBA is turning out to be as reliable as BIS Shrapnel in its projections.

Another guy I respect is Mohamed El-Erian, CEO of PIMCO. He said this yesterday.

“This is not a typical retracement,” said Mohamed A. El- Erian, chief executive officer of Pacific Investment Management Co., which runs the world’s biggest bond fund, in an e-mail. “We are in uncharted waters on account of several issues, including what is going on in Europe and other important structural regime changes. In economic terms, European developments are unambiguously bad for global growth.”

I hope not too many here used the Rubber Ball Theory of Stock Selection. Someone spoke of buying BHP after the initial fall, I assume on the basis that "good" stocks always rebound. (It wasn't IV as I remember but he did argue that it's intrinsic value hadn't changed) I hope sanity prevailed and they used a stop-loss.

Speaking of Twiggy: This super tax is applied after state royalties but before financing costs. Could be like a Nth Korean torpedo for Twiggy. I imagine he is highly geared.

In case anyone is wondering what an inverted yield curve looks like, Australian yields started to invert on 7/5/10 when the 30 and 90 day bank bills crossed above 2 year bond yields. (where the dark blue plot crossed below the red and pink).

This indicates short term risk is considered higher than medium term, and short term capital is starting to freeze.

If the 2,5,10 yr bond yields cross, then this is serious folks.

BillsNotesBond%20Yields.gif

Back