Good pay & boring / Lower pay & stimulating

What others have already said; an exit strategy will help you get by, your time is your investment, so have a plan. Say after a year doing your current job, you've saved enough for that {insert goal, ie deposit for IP}, then you get out and start on your more passionate work related path. Set yourself up now for the time when your income will be lower.
I am in a similar situation, while working I am undertaking external study for a field that I will much more enjoy, but be of lesser pay to begin with, to know that when I have finished my course I will be starting a new journey, keeps me motivated to get through the **** I deal with now!

Whats a good pay here? $80k a year? and a shi* one? $20k? I'd pick the $80k anyday, do a couple of years then head of to a NGO in Somalia to get the job satisfaction then.

So the problem is- how do you decide between the good paying boring job (and the lifestyle/freedoms/investment opportunities it allows) and the lower paying stimulating job (with hope fully more career progression)?

First plan: Simple - get both. Find a job that stimulates and pays well.

Second plan: In the event the first plan proves impossible, decide how important investing is to you. If important, then choose the cash - having a boring job will enable you to devote more mental energy (and perhaps time as well?) to investing and its that effort that will most likely make you more wealthy than a JOB.

If investing isn't a priority, then do what you love doing. You had better hope you really love it though, coz you will probably be doing it for an awfully long time... :eek:

Got conned by some mortgage broker to go to a seminar yesterday.

Turned out to be one of those pyramid scheme things. The guy at the seminar said you could earn up to $10k per month. Around 50 people went. Took a quick look at the figures and did some calcs in my head and this was my take.

a) I'll need to convince 5,200 people to join this company's services for 12 months and these people will pay $50 per month, for me to be eligible to earn up to $10k

b) In other words, I needed to generate $260k for the firm per month before I get paid $10k per month

c) Assumming I can convince 200 people to join and subscribe for this service for 12 months, and these people don't convine anyone else, I can only make $25 per month (in other words your commission goes up exponentially the more you get)

There were lots of people there getting all excited about it. So many ways to trick people in dull jobs for their money, really. Amazing really. Real eye-opener.

Anyway I've blacklisted the mortgage broker... not because he invited me to this, but because he spent 10 minutes trying to sign me up (so I pay my $50 per month for 12 months) afterwards. Truly amazing experience.

Edit: too long and confusing. Shortened it

Last edited:
It wasn't ACN was it? I've had some friends getting excited about ACN lately and asked me to catch up with them and listen to more about this company. I'm not really interested, as it seems like hard work for very little money.

Oh haha no names basis - I don't want to argue with anyone about the merits of this product/scheme.

Just expressing my view on a no-names basis. I can think of many easier ways of making money.

Got conned by some mortgage broker to go to a seminar yesterday.

Turned out to be one of those pyramid scheme things. The guy at the seminar said you could earn up to $10k per month. Around 50 people went. Took a quick look at the figures and did some calcs in my head and this was my take.

a) I'll need to convince 5,200 people to join this company's services for 12 months and these people will pay $50 per month, for me to be eligible to earn up to $10k

b) In other words, I needed to generate $260k for the firm per month before I get paid $10k per month

c) Assumming I can convince 200 people to join and subscribe for this service for 12 months, and these people don't convine anyone else, I can only make $25 per month (in other words your commission goes up exponentially the more you get)

There were lots of people there getting all excited about it. So many ways to trick people in dull jobs for their money, really. Amazing really. Real eye-opener.

Anyway I've blacklisted the mortgage broker... not because he invited me to this, but because he spent 10 minutes trying to sign me up (so I pay my $50 per month for 12 months) afterwards. Truly amazing experience.

Edit: too long and confusing. Shortened it

Just sounds like a ponzi scheme. What are the company's services that are worth $50/month? Signing up people to pay money? :p

Just sounds like a ponzi scheme. What are the company's services that are worth $50/month? Signing up people to pay money? :p

Oh just some service provider. Probably not a ponzi scheme, but certainly a pyramid structure. Which is fine (provided it's legal). The only issue was it's not actually very lucrative (I'd imagine most people would give up before they made $200 per month), so I didn't know why people were getting so excited about.

This guy said he quit his 9-5, 5-days-a-week job, to work 10-4, 4 days a week now. That certainly wasn't my idea of financial freedom.

Back