Good tenant story

I did an inspection on our IP2 about 4 weeks ago and nothing major usual stuff needing doing bit of tidy up in the front and back and she let me know there was a small tear to the carpet in the bedroom due to the new puppy being a new puppy. not a major problem for me as i never replaced when i bought the place due to a major **** up by the carpeting company so the plan was to re-carpet when the tenants left but they resign.

Got a phone call this morning from the tenant but i missed the call so i text ed her back, she said nothing major just wanted to let me know the new carpets where in. after nearly choking on my ice cold cider i gave her a quick call to see what new carpets, i had not organised. Turns out because the dog tore the carpet the tenant decided to get new carpets not just in her bedroom but did all 3 bedrooms.
Now you might say she should have asked but hey you dont look a gift horse in the mouth

Make sure you get the receipts from the tenant so you can start depreciating the new carpets.. :)

ohhhh and dont forget to write off what depreciation was left on the old carpets either :D

Nice to hear the good stories.

Got a request from one tenant the other day, asking can they please put weedmatt down and then coloured wood chip in the gardens and plant some new plants.

We of course replied yes and instructed them to put the wood chip on our account at the supplies yard.

It's all been done but they have paid for it themselves.

The place is immaculate, rent 2 weeks in advance at all times.

Another tenant sent through photos showing how she cleaned all the south side of the house and fencing that was getting green from the damp conditions. Initially asked if it was ok to do so. Same immaculate tenant with rent always in advance. She also installed her own dishwasher (we paid installation) and has signed off to leave it there if ever she leaves.

I haven't been so fortunate, though my dad has a tenant who is a handyman and has done ALL the repairs ont he property, even cut down a few trees that we had recieved quotes around $800 to do.

Really treat the house as their own.

My long term tenant runs a handyman business and does all the odd jobs around the house. It is a very old house and I have lived in itso know there is ongoing work (i.e. front door needs the locks altered up and down through winter and summer, dont ask me why) but I never hear a peepfrom him.

My advice is to spread the love if you have a good tenant.

I usually go with a gift card or a weeks free rent over the Xmas period.

Grand scheme it doesn't really cost that much, and it's amazing for building great relationships with your tenants.

Not for everyone, but definitely something I've seen pay dividends back on.

Grand scheme it doesn't really cost that much, and it's amazing for building great relationships with your tenants.

We used to do that and it was fine, however since we stopped it tenants have been even more "lovable".

Hmmmm....maybe we aren't charging enough rent..?

Just did a quick check in the area where most IP's are (Central Coast NSW) and yep, it seems to have jumped just in the last few weeks, or at least there are less available to rent and for way more $/wk.

Nothing a set of headphones and a pocket knife wont fix...;)

Got that. Now waiting for the REA to spread the love for my good business and give me a month free of charges for each property I placed with him :)

So to clear up any confusion, what you said in post #2 is fraud and the landlord shouldn't claim depreciation on an item he didn't pay for.

Correct.....the landlord can claim only if he pays for it. So if the landlord reimburses the tenant from the receipts my understanding is depreciation can be claimed. I hope this clarifies the situation for you.

Back