Google launches free property listing service

Interesting..

http://maps.google.com.au/help/maps...n&utm_source=en_AU-van-apac-au-gns-realestate

http://www.theage.com.au/technology...realestate-search-business-20090706-da4l.html

http://google-au.blogspot.com/2009/07/making-google-maps-even-more-useful.html

Google wants a bigger slice of the real-estate search business
Stephen Hutcheon
July 6, 2009 - 8:52PM

In a move that has raised eyebrows among established players in the classified real-estate business, Google Australia has unveiled a new tool on its mapping service that will directly link buyers and renters to available property.

The Google Maps feature, which launched today in Australia and New Zealand, will host free listings supplied by real-estate agents and publishers.

Although many existing publishers and real-estate agents offer map-based searching, the maps on Google's new service will reflect real-time changes in search criteria and location.

The technology behind this enhancement was developed by engineers at Google's Sydney office and is also being rolled out on the company's existing property search service in the United States.

Google's offering is open to all comers, potentially giving renters and buyers a much bigger choice...

It will be great to see the high-energy brains behing Google taking on the old duddy duddy real estate agents who consider themselves sophisticated and indispensable.

Apparently the people behind realestate.com.au see this is as being a huge threat.

Great move.

The monopolistic behavior of realestate.com.au needs to be broken.

There's already a lot of listings there! Looks like they've been working on it for a while to prepare the launch.

Cheers,

It's really well done. :)

Great to give you a quick overview of what's on offer on the market.

A map-based display is really superior to the old list of ads.

Cheers,

Domain and Realestate already having a spit about it.. No surprise I guess..

http://business.theage.com.au/business/google-faces-property-ads-war-20090726-dxga.html

I think the last part is still telling.. it's more about protecting market share and an effective duopoly than being willing to colaborate.

Google spokeswoman Lucinda Barlow said it had received "great feedback" about its site to date and would like to work more closely with Fairfax and REA to take its listings — which both groups are refusing to do. "We are partners and we would like to discuss this [issue]," she said.

I would just have a great, big giggle if this allowed private landlords to advertise, seeing that re.com will not.

I received an email reply telling me today that it is their policy to only allow private adverts for share accommodation and directing me to the link to find a local agent who I could list my rental with (gee... thanks a lot).

I emailed back and told them that I would just find one of the many agents who already flout their rules and take money under the table already and list for private landlords :D. (I don't plan to do that, but I know someone else who found a local agent, so it is happening.)

all they seem to be doing at the mo is poaching independent site listings, and amalgamating.

Though I am sure private listings will eventually win out......will be interesting to see how subtle and skilful google or others are in stealthfully transitioning consumer behaviour......will require more tact than their utube foray, imho.

and unfortunately, yet more Aussie dapital (along with google ads, ebay, and paypal) heading offshore due to Australia's preoccupation with environmentalism and welfare, in place of vision, venture capital, and entrepreneurship.

and unfortunately, yet more Aussie dapital (along with google ads, ebay, and paypal) heading offshore due to Australia's preoccupation with environmentalism and welfare, in place of vision, venture capital, and entrepreneurship.

perhaps it's re.com's lack of vision in not taking private listings that will be their undoing ;)

Not lack of vision but real estate's protecting their own monopoly interests.

They are majority owned by one (or more?) of the big RE chains. I think the REI's may have an interest as well.

perhaps it's re.com's lack of vision in not taking private listings that will be their undoing ;)

Not lack of vision but real estate's protecting their own monopoly interests.

They are majority owned by one (or more?) of the big RE chains. I think the REI's may have an interest as well. Yep, Ray White

I agree, that's their motive. But I don't think private sellers are really a threat.. Majority of people have no desire to sell privately and are happy pay the agent's commission.
For the very few private sellers out there, Re.com could have accepted a payment to list, likewise with rentals.

The thing that appeals to me is the functionality of the map browsing. It's so easy to search and move the map and the properties in the new field of view appear.

Ray White only own around 12-13% of REA last time i checked (January??) hardly majority owned...

actually - scratch that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 July 2009
Ray White Group sells REA Group shares
REA Group Ltd (“REA”) has been informed by the Ray White Group that Ray White Group sold its shareholding in REA yesterday, with the sale of 13,503,584 shares. This represents 10.6% of REA's issued share capital. REA has been informed that this sale of shares was to a range of existing and new shareholders, with the greater number of the shares being sold to new shareholders.
Sam White, Deputy Chairman of the Ray White Group, will retain his personal shares in REA, and remains a director of REA.
Sam White said: “I remain committed to the REA Group as both a shareholder and asa member of the board. The sale of the shares owned by the Ray White Group will allow Ray White Group to invest back in our core family business and fund other emerging opportunities.”
Greg Ellis CEO of the REA Group said: “We are excited about the expansion of the share registry across the Australian investment community. I am also pleased that Sam remains a board member and shareholder.”
“As a business we still see Sam White as both an important customer and a valuable member of our board, taking into consideration his knowledge and expertise in the property market.”
For further information please contact:
Georg Chmiel
03 9843 4262
e: [email protected]
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

just for kicks i went on and registered and uploaded the One Mile development to see what the process is.

There is no way they would know if you were an agency or not...you could type anything in there and it just accepts it...

there are no declarations to tick etc that you are a licenced agent or anything else in that regard.

Private sellers of the world - fire away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess there's 2x sides to the 'they won't list my private sale' issue.

There's a market for private real estate sales to be advertised on the net. If you've got the smarts/funds provide the service to the market...

On the other (technical/business) side, if I was running a large RE listing site I'd be using the 80/20 rule: 80% of my business/income would be from (20% of clients) from the large REA's who are 'professional' returning users v's 20% of the income generated from (80% number & hassle) of the mum and dad's selling this week, not selling next week, it's too expensive to list, I made a mistake in my listing, I can't upload photos, I lost my password.... :confused:

I'd go with just REA's simply for the ease of management too.

Back