Granny flat design - feedback pls

Serge, that is very similar to the base design we have been modifying for our 2 bed duplexes. Here it is.

cheers, Rocky :)

aah thanks Rockstar, that's pretty close.
The only extra thing we like to do is create a bit of a 'pseudo-hallway' for the bedroom entry doors so that you're not walking out of the bedrooms and directly into the living room area. It just feels too 'granny flat'-ish if you know what I mean... but otherwise pretty similar yep.

Attachments

• san option 6.JPG
    san option 6.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 197
Not keen at all on the 2430 bedrooms. Doesn't leave much space at the end of the bed!

Is that a free design program? Wouldn't mind a play around if possible. I normally hand draw mine before giving it to a drafty.

Not keen at all on the 2430 bedrooms. Doesn't leave much space at the end of the bed!

Is that a free design program? Wouldn't mind a play around if possible. I normally hand draw mine before giving it to a drafty.

This client wanted smaller bedrooms + you didnt equate the robes. The rooms are actually 3m x3m.
The beauty of this template is that the bedroom lengths can be adjusted and the overall layout still works. See attached variation.

The program used to create that particular floor plan was 'smartdraw'. There's a free trial on their website. I think.

Attachments

• san option 7.jpg
    san option 7.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 219
Maybe something like this, but it's 6.25m wide, not 5m wide. I reckon your block has ample room.

It is a 17.3 wide land. Every meter in length is 17.3 sqm! That is why I want to maximise as much as possible.

6m wide (10 m length) flat would suite well a 15m wide land as you would have about 4m (15-10-1) backyard.

In my case the backyard would be about 6m. Given the fact that they are already going to have 3 x 17 m (rear set back), I think it is too much land to the flat.

I think renters who want to rent a house in this area would expect a decent land to go with. Otherwise there are plenty of units and townhouses to rent for a cheaper rent.

I use Microsoft Visio. I'm sure a real deal floor chart software may do a better job but Visio does many other stuff as well. There is free Google skectup. You can actually build a 3D house but I never had patience to learn that.

Thank you very much for your suggestions Serge.
I have updated the 12 x 5 m design. I'm not sure if the kitchen is big enough but I guess I can sort out those issues when I get the real drafting done.

Attachments

• Granny5By12V3.jpg
    Granny5By12V3.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 173
Finally, everyone's favourite draftsman is in action :)
Base 5 x 12m plan is attached.

Rooms are about 10 & 12 sqms.
Lounge is about 3.2 x 5m and facing north.
Sliding door will be near the laundry door.

Attachments

• Granny5By12V6.jpg
    Granny5By12V6.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 180
Finally, everyone's favourite draftsman is in action :)
Base 5 x 12m plan is attached.

Rooms are about 10 & 12 sqms.
Lounge is about 3.2 x 5m and facing north.
Sliding door will be near the laundry door.

O wait wait it's not finished yet!! hehe :)
Final Floor Plan should be completed in the next day or two and then you can see it fully dimensioned etc.

Serge

Final design is attached. Poor Serge... he had to design to my harsh requirements. He had to twist the kitchen & his brain many times! :)
Now I know the meaning of 'having a good team around you'.
Thank you Serge.

Attachments

• floorPlan.pdf
    249.7 KB · Views: 330
  • sitePlan.pdf
    257.5 KB · Views: 207
Final design is attached. Poor Serge... he had to design to my harsh requirements. He had to twist the kitchen & his brain many times! :)
Now I know the meaning of 'having a good team around you'.
Thank you Serge.

Thanks devank :)
Ive done so many of these now but yours was the first that is under 6m wide and at 3m rear setback..tricky.. so we did well to make a 5m wide one work. I give the credit to you tbo- I was sure it wouldn't work but you were right, it can work :)

Keep us posted on the construction phase.

Serge.

Lets call it team work Serge :)

This is just an update.

Tenants are okay with the construction. As compensation I said I would pay the water bill in the future. It would cost too much to have separate meters anyway.

Managed to get three turn-key (including separate meters, porch, fence with gates, better built-ins) quotes under 100K for a vynal clad, colourbond roof, tiles everywhere and carpets in rooms.

Struggling to get the loan approval (ANZ). Apparently it is 70% LVR for dual occupancies. Currently I'm on 80%. Mortgage manager is trying to push it though as 'extension' to the main building instead of dual occupancy.

Lets call it team work Serge :)

Struggling to get the loan approval (ANZ). Apparently it is 70% LVR for dual occupancies. Currently I'm on 80%. Mortgage manager is trying to push it though as 'extension' to the main building instead of dual occupancy.

Bank will want to see DA plans so they will find out exactly what you are building I would imagine. Don't know why they wouldn't go to 80%? Other banks have given me lodoc 80s in the past for 3 dual occ projects (haven't used anz before)

Bank will want to see DA plans so they will find out exactly what you are building I would imagine. Don't know why they wouldn't go to 80%? Other banks have given me lodoc 80s in the past for 3 dual occ projects (haven't used anz before)

Yea I agree. It really depends on the lender.
We sometimes see investors struggling to get finance due to poor valuations done by the bank(s). You just need to shop around I'm afraid.

Bank will want to see DA plans so they will find out exactly what you are building I would imagine.
They did ask for them for valuation.
Granny flat is a grey area where we can claim this to me single dwelling with a granny or dual occupancy.

Yea I agree. It really depends on the lender.
We sometimes see investors struggling to get finance due to poor valuations done by the bank(s). You just need to shop around I'm afraid.
All my banking are done with ANZ. That kind of ties me with them. They still haven't said no yet. So I'll push all the way to see what happens. It is taking way too long though.

All my banking are done with ANZ. That kind of ties me with them. They still haven't said no yet. So I'll push all the way to see what happens. It is taking way too long though.

Why don't you talk with a good broker/strategist to see if there is an alternative finance solution - just in case you need a plan B?

I have a small problem. One side of the building, where the sliding door is located, is about 0.8m under the natural land as shown in the picture. I'm going to put two steps in front of the sliding door. However, I'm not sure what I can do with the remaining 'hole'. I want to cover it up for safety reasons.

I thought of few ways to handle this..
1. Sloping the land. It doesn't work well because the slope will be too steep.
2. Place some timber sleepers - It might invite termites.
3. Placing solid concrete long flower pots against the wall and fill the rest with dirt - I'm not sure how practicals it is.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Attachments

• GrannyFlatCut.jpg
    GrannyFlatCut.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 448
Back