Ground preparation for decking

I'm planning on building a deck..

My vision is something similar to the below photo, ignoring the roof.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is a picture of the front yard where I plan on having it installed:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The trees have already been removed.
The land has a very slight slope leaning away from the house towards the street. The lawn is very presentable as it is.
The existing front porch is brickwork, and I'm just planning to lay timber decking around it.

My question is... how should I prepare the ground if I was going to install timber decking similar to the first picture, where the side walls are spaced apart?
Would it be alright if I left the grass as it is and just dig in the pillars?
Will I have to worry about the grass growing to high later in the future or will their growth get stunted due to the way the timber is installed?

Sounds like not enough sun would get through deck to cause grass to grow, but if it did just spray what you can reach and it will be drawn back into the rest of the plant.

I would cut a perimeter around the area you are putting the deck (just a spade cut to cut roots) then spray the grass inside this area - it wont travel beyond the roots cut. Generic glysophate (as mentioned in link) in Bunnings is about $16 for a litre - get the stronger concentration.

Make sure it is not going to rain or be watered for 6 hours, and apply to dry grass. I would leave it for a week to work its way into the roots, then just do your work and let it continue dying - which might take weeks in cool weather.

This is based on my experience gardening, which would not be to the same level as topcropper........although I have driven my uncles tractor :D when a kid while he was spot spraying in the paddocks.

Back