grout failing in newish bathroom reno

Just wondering if anyone has advice for fixing the grout that is starting to crack in my bathroom reno of rental property. The compete room reno is about 10 months old and the grout in two sections is needing attention - where floor and wall join the grout coming away and there is also a crack the length of one join where two walls meet.
Reno was done by a plumber who has now disappeared.
Is this something I may be able to mend myself.
Thanks.

Hi there

My understanding is that it is very easy. There is a tool you can buy for about $10 from Bunnings that is designed to scrape the grouting out (but without removing the tiles). It can also scrape grouting out of corners. Bunnings sells grouting. Grouting plus $2 spreader tool plus sponge equals new grouting. Go to Bunnings or other store that sells DIY items and ask them to explain the process to you. Youtube no doubt has a video that shows you exactly how to do it.

Just wondering if anyone has advice for fixing the grout that is starting to crack in my bathroom reno of rental property. The compete room reno is about 10 months old and the grout in two sections is needing attention - where floor and wall join the grout coming away and there is also a crack the length of one join where two walls meet.
Reno was done by a plumber who has now disappeared.
Is this something I may be able to mend myself.
Thanks.

Those 2 areas (floor to wall and wall to wall) are supposed to be sealant to allow for movement. Regrouting will only crack out again.

Buy the grout removal tool to get as much out as you can, grab some sealant and with a steady hand squeeze into the corners. Get a spray bottle with a dash of liquid detergent and water and spray over the sealant. With a paddle pop stick end, gently and evenly move across the joint surface - then wipe away the excess.

pinkboy:cool:

+1 to what Pinkboy has posted.

In addition, I would be a little worried that this 'plumber' was a little dodgy and whether other aspects of the tiling job such as waterproofing were also done to a poor standard.

Its a bit hard to tell whether the waterproofing is good until there is some dampness / leaking showing on external walls. Unless of course you saw the waterproofing going on or it was another tradie.

Back