Hahaha!

Just be a good human being, don't leave your book in my hotel room drawer, don't start wars in your religion's name, don't kill others who don't happen to believe in it - or make fun of it, don't believe stories of people living for 800 years, and - accept every other religion as an equal to yours.

very succinctly summed it up Mark ! couldn't agree more

kudos to you !

Harris

Interesting debate so far. And, I am open-minded to all the possibilities. One important point to note- in order to make an informed decision, all of you need to have researched, read the Bible, and accessed the scientific facts. After all, ignorance is bliss as they say. And easier. I myself am no expert in either field. It's not a question I really need answering.
We are physical, emotional and spiritual beings. Is that not a paradox in itself? I accept that the origin of life, however perceived, is beyond our scope of full comprehension. You'll find it all within yourselves. The peace, the strength. The craziness...whatever...
On with the debate!

I realize my last post could put me in the "fence-sitter" category. So, if the opposing views are creation v's evolution (and acknowledging I am not a sufficient expert in either area), my logic tells me that the diverse, incredible and often bizzare array of critters, plants, and the like, including the human species (sometimes!) are simply too intricate and complicated to have originated from a single-celled organism. Medical science and even technological advances are still being based on many, varied species and the individual characteristics they possess. The latest being the tasty prawn. Or was it yabbie? Either way, tasty.

hiya

aside from any spiritual discussion..........

One of my mentors once said to me

Why do we live life as if it will continue for ever, immortal ??

The one thing we all have in common, regardless of colour, religion, race, and even the almighty dollar.................................

is ??

we will all die one day ......................

So why do we live as if we wont ever die ??

Interesting equaliser and and...................a

Very interesting question, more so even against the backdrop of Christian salvation.

ta
rolf

Interesting equaliser

In terms of equalisers, I always get a good grounding when I take a casual stroll through the Karrakatta cemetery.

Walking past row after row after row of hundreds of people who have been here and are no longer with us is very humbling indeed. It certainly brings all of the hoighty toighty notions down to Earth with a big thud. It's good for the soul.

I continually find two standout recurring themes on all of the headstones ;

1. The love of family for their members.
2. Religious overtones.

Maybe there is something in that ??

As a side note : Walking through the war service section, with the gross amount of young men cut down, to me appears futile in the extreme.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be the first to stand up and be counted if this great country of ours was attacked.....but looking at where these boys were when they were killed, is sad as hell, as most had nothing to do with defending Australia......more to do with advancing through the mud on some far flung outpost that the British empire wanted to hang onto for trade routes or jewels.

Regardless of religion or theory, the brevity of life.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/gallery/2008/mar/31/lifebeforedeath?picture=333325401

"This sombre series of portraits taken of people before and after they had died is a challenging and poignant study. The work by German photographer Walter Schels and his partner Beate Lakotta, who recorded interviews with the subjects in their final days, reveals much about dying - and living. Life Before Death is at the Wellcome Collection from April 9-May 18."

Phil.

Regardless of religion or theory, the brevity of life.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/gallery/2008/mar/31/lifebeforedeath?picture=333325401

"This sombre series of portraits taken of people before and after they had died is a challenging and poignant study. The work by German photographer Walter Schels and his partner Beate Lakotta, who recorded interviews with the subjects in their final days, reveals much about dying - and living. Life Before Death is at the Wellcome Collection from April 9-May 18."

Phil.

Wow, that was interesting and brings back to me the fine balance in life we all walk as investors - the balance between going without to be able to achieve our retirement goals and living life to the fullest we can while we still have it..

This quote for photo 13 hit home "Gerda couldn’t believe that cancer was cheating her of her hard-earned retirement. “My whole life was nothing but work, work, work,” she told me. She had worked on the assembly line in a soap factory, and had brought up her children single-handedly. “Does it really have to happen now? Can’t death wait?” she sobbed
Of course she was 68, and I hope to be retired long before then - but as we all know death can come at anytime... a sobering thought...

Nadia

I'm envious of people who believe in an afterlife. Wish I did, but then again I wouldn't want to be living a delusion either.

I also can't stand those who brag that they aren't afraid of death. Eternal nought is nothing to look foreward to.

my logic tells me that the diverse, incredible and often bizzare array of critters, plants, and the like, including the human species (sometimes!) are simply too intricate and complicated to have originated from a single-celled organism.

For me, the same diverse array of species and organisms can ONLY be explained by evolution BECAUSE they are too intricate and complicated to have come about any other way.

Every living thing is a product of it's environment.

Back