Happiness is U-shaped !!

Got nothing to do with it. True happiness happens when you get rid of the smart-*** kids. Work is easy by comparison.

I don't know if it has anything to do with 'smart***' kids specifically, but I also think it's kids rather than work that might cause it.

Kids are a 24/7 round the clock responsibility, and as worthwhile and enriching life is having them, life does change, and is less carefree, egocentric, financial, mobile, independent. You also have less individual time with your partner, less sleep, recreation, solitary time, etc, I could go on and on... then add to the mix, any sick or elderly/disabled family you may have to assist with during those years.

Gee,

looking at that curve bottoming out at 45 y.o. I must be almost at the bottom of unhappiness at 44.

However, I look at a lot of similar aged friends and think I have it pretty good. Home with kids on school holidays today and they have yet to really harm one another too seriously, they have not burnt down the house or told me today what their friends have, but I am too miserable to buy for them.
So, this is a good day and pretty happy despite what this graph tells me!

Cheers have a good day.
Meri

Back