HDT Deed

Hi

Has anyone used a HDT deed from Kevin Munro (taxlegal.com.au)? I was wondering if they are suitable. I wouldn't know how to tell a good one from bad because I have read one from Chris Batten and it didn't make any sense at all, just legal gobbly-gook, so I will be totally at the mercy of the lawyer and accountant.
Trust deeds are meant to be flexible annd I have had recommendations that the Batten deed is good but how do I judge a trust deed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

I have seen them and the deeds are very good. Rumour has it (no idea whether it is true or not...) that kevin Munro taught Chris Batten.

For what it is worth, I have great respect for Kevin's knowledge and skills, just as I do Chris'

Dale

Hi not so lucky,

After spending ages lurking here at the forum I got Dale's Trust Magic book. He had references in it to Kevin Munro at taxlegal.com.au to learn more about trusts (There was quite a few pdf's to read!!). It certainly seemed to me that the people at Taxlegal knew their stuff.

Anyway armed with all this "knowledge" from "Trust Magic" and the forum I contacted them and they couldn't have been more helpful. I had my ideas about how I wanted the Trust to operate etc etc. and they were responsive and informative at all times.

When I got the HDT deed (PDF format) it was pretty easy to follow. I just had to fill in the blanks.

P.s. The cost was very reasonable compared to what my Accountant and Solicitor wanted to charge!!

Hope this helps.

Nick

To All,
Can I take this thread one step further and ask has anyone with a Hybrid discretionary trust, where they are claiming a personal tax deduction for the interest on buying the units yet distributions from the trust are going to other beneficiaries ever been through an ATO audit. I would like to know what the ATO had to say about the real potential of a profitable return to the fixed interest holders and how that effected their right to claim the interest.

Julia Hartman
[email protected]
www.bantacs.com.au

julia said:
To All,
Can I take this thread one step further and ask has anyone with a Hybrid discretionary trust, where they are claiming a personal tax deduction for the interest on buying the units yet distributions from the trust are going to other beneficiaries ever been through an ATO audit. I would like to know what the ATO had to say about the real potential of a profitable return to the fixed interest holders and how that effected their right to claim the interest.

Julia Hartman
[email protected]
www.bantacs.com.au

Hi Julia

NickM pointed this one out the other day...

EDITED VERSION OF NOTICE OF PRIVATE RULING

Authorisation Number: 28993

This Ruling is a 'Private Ruling' for the purposes of Part IVAA of the Taxation Administration Act 1953.

YEAR(S) OF INCOME TO WHICH THIS RULING APPLIES:

Year ended 30 June 2004

TAX LAW:

Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 Section 8-1.

WHAT THIS RULING IS ABOUT:

Is interest deductible on a loan used to purchase units in a Unit/ Hybrid trust?

THE SUBJECT OF THE RULING:

You will establish a unit discretionary trust with a minimal issue of units.

You will borrow an amount from a Bank. These funds will be used to purchase a number of units in a unit discretionary trust.

The trust will use the subscribed capital to purchase a rental property. The trust will provide security for the borrowing against the rental property.

The finalisation of the loan agreement with the Bank and the issue of the units in the unit discretionary trust will occur at the time of the settlement of the property.

The rental property will be a residential property. A rental agreement will be entered into between the Unit Discretionary Trust and a Company providing serviced accommodation. The rental agreement for the property will be for a period of 10 years.

The Company will be responsible for finding tenants for the property and all day to day operations of the property. The level of rental income will be set by the Company independently of the Unit Discretionary Trust, as owner of the property. Any income derived from the Company will be distributed to the unit holder after allowing for the deductible expenses of the trust.

You will be the trustee of the Unit Discretionary Trust.

It is anticipated that the Unit Discretionary Trust will distribute income to you each year as you currently own all the units in the trust.

The property will not be used as your residence.

COMMENCEMENT OF ARRANGEMENT:

1 July 2003

RULING:

Is interest deductible on a loan used to purchase units in a Unit/ Hybrid trust?

Yes. To the extent that the interest is incurred in producing assessable income.

EXPLANATION: (This does not form part of the Notice of Private Ruling)

Deductibility of Interest

Interest is deductible under section 8-1 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 (ITAA 1997) to the extent to which it is incurred in gaining or producing assessable income or necessarily incurred in carrying on a business for that purpose and is not of a capital, private or domestic nature.

As you were not carrying on a business only the first limbs of section 8-1 are applicable. In order for a deduction to be allowable, the interest expenses that you incurred must have sufficient connection with the gaining of your assessable income.

An outgoing of interest is incidental and relevant to the gaining of assessable income if the borrowed money is laid out for the purpose of gaining that income (Federal Commissioner of Taxation v. Munro (1926) 38 CLR 153).

In determining the deductibility of interest, the courts and tribunals have looked at the use to which the borrowed moneys have been put. For example, interest on borrowed moneys may be deductible where the moneys are used to acquire income producing assets.

The ‘use’ Test

While the main test is the 'use' test, it may also be necessary to consider other factors in particular circumstances, for example where the interest on the borrowings exceeds the return on the investment.

In Fletcher & Ors v. Federal Commissioner of Taxation (1991) 173 CLR 1; 91 ATC 4950; (1991) 22 ATR 613 (Fletcher's Case), which involved a complex and highly artificial annuity scheme, the income derived from the annuity was less than one-eighth of the deduction claimed for interest. The High Court accepted that the interest was deductible to the extent of the income derived. However, beyond that point, the deductibility of the interest had to be determined by weighing up the whole set of circumstances, including the direct and indirect objects and advantages which the taxpayer sought in making the outgoing.

The Court took the view that if, on consideration of all those factors, the whole of the interest could be characterised as 'genuinely and not colourably incurred in gaining or producing assessable income', the interest would be fully deductible. If only part of the outgoing could be so characterised, apportionment between the pursuit of assessable income and of other objectives was necessary.

Taxation Ruling TR 95/33 considers the implications of Fletcher's Case. The ruling states that if an outgoing produces no assessable income, or the amount of assessable income is less than the amount of the outgoing, it may be necessary to examine all the circumstances surrounding the expenditure, including an examination of the taxpayer's subjective purpose, motive or intention in making the outgoing, to determine whether the outgoing is wholly deductible. If it is concluded that the disproportion between the outgoing and the relevant assessable income is essentially to be explained by reference to the independent pursuit of some other objective, then the outgoing must be apportioned between the pursuit of assessable income and the other objective.

Taxation Ruling IT 2684 considers the deductibility of interest on money borrowed to acquire units in a property unit trust. The ruling states that if units in a property unit trust produce for a unit holder no assessable income in a particular income year, and there is no reasonable expectation that assessable income will be produced in the future, no amount of interest is deductible.

The ruling states further at paragraph 9:

An interest expense is not fully deductible in those cases where the expected return from the units, both income and capital growth, does not provide an obvious commercial explanation for incurring the interest. This may arise in situations where the total amount of income and capital growth which can reasonably be expected from the units is less than the total interest expense, especially if the amount of assessable income expected is disproportionately less than the amount of the interest expense.

In the type of situation referred to above, IT 2684 states that it is necessary to carefully examine all of the circumstances of the case, including the direct and indirect objects and advantages sought by the unit holder in acquiring the units and in making the interest outgoing. The ruling states that indirect objects may include private or domestic purposes (for example, Ure v. FC of T 81 ATC 4100; (1981) 11ATR 484 (Ure's Case)), or the manufacturing of a taxation deduction (for example, FC of T v. Ilbery 81 ATC 4661; (1981) 11 ATR 827 (Ilbery's Case)). If it can be concluded that the interest expense is incurred for dual or multiple purposes, it is necessary to apportion the expense.

IT 2684 provides that in determining whether an interest expense has the character of an outgoing incurred in gaining or producing assessable income, the motive of the taxpayer (or the taxpayer's subjective intention) in incurring it may be a relevant factor (Fletcher's Case). The ruling goes on to state:

In a case where the taxpayer's motive or purpose is relevant, it will be necessary to look at the motive or purpose at the time the interest outgoing was incurred (FC of T v. Total Holdings (Australia) Pty. Ltd. 79 ATC 4279 per Lockhart J. at 4283; (1979) 9 ATR 885 at 891).

Interest is incurred day to day (Federal Commissioner of Taxation v. Australian Guarantee Corp. Ltd. (1984) 2 FCR 483; 84 ATC 4642; (1984) 15 ATR 982; per Beaumont J, and Toohey J). Each income year therefore must be considered separately, that is, the extent of apportionment may vary from income year to income year depending on the circumstances of the case.

Situations may arise where in a particular income year interest ceases to be deductible in full and in later income years is either no longer deductible or (because of the need for apportionment) is only deductible in part.

The ruling states further at paragraph 28:

Even if the amount of interest is greater than the amount of assessable income the interest is deductible in full if it is incurred wholly to produce the assessable income. It is immaterial that this situation may prevail for a number of years. Negative gearing does not necessarily preclude the deduction or, of itself, require and apportionment of the interest expense. In this regard a holder of units in a split property unit trust is as a matter of principle, in no different a position from an owner of other kinds of income producing properties eg property held for rental purpose or shares acquired for the purpose of producing assessable dividend income.

Therefore while you continue to hold all the issued units of the trust and all of the income derived by the trust is directed to you, you will be able to claim 100% of the interest expense. If the income from the trust is directed to other taxpayers by way of the discretionary clauses in the trust or through the disposal of some of the units on issue then the interest will need to be apportioned to reflect the proportion of the total trust income received.

Disclaimer

The Register of Private Binding Advice is published as a public record of the binding advice issued by the ATO. Each piece of advice is based on a specific set of circumstances advised to the ATO and the law in force at the time of the advice, and is considered binding only in respect of the person/s or entity/ies on whose behalf the advice was sought. The Register is a historical record of advice provided, and is not updated to reflect changes in the law, withdrawal of advice or any other change in circumstance. Each piece of advice has been edited to avoid disclosing the identity of the person or entity on whose behalf advice was sought and published advice may therefore not disclose all the relevant facts or circumstances on which the advice was based. For these reasons, advice published in this Register cannot be relied upon as precedent for any other person or entity.

© Commonwealth of Australia 2005

This work is copyright. You may download, display, print and reproduce this material in unaltered form only (retaining this notice) for your personal, non-commercial use or use within your organisation. Apart from any use as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 all other rights are reserved. Requests for further authorisation should be directed to the Manager, Commonwealth Copyright Administration, Intellectual Property Branch, Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts, GPO Box 2154, Canberra ACT 2601, or by email to [email protected]
Disclaimer Privacy Statement Site Security
© Commonwealth of Australia 2004

Dale,

Thanks for posting that. Very informative.

Interest is deductible under section 8-1 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 (ITAA 1997) to the extent to which it is incurred in gaining or producing assessable income
One thing I've wondered, does "income" here include capital gain? In other words, if the funds were used to buy investments that produced no income but possible capital gains (eg. shares that never pay dividends), would the interest still be deductible? In that scenario the gains may not be realised for years.

That discussion later says:

An interest expense is not fully deductible in those cases where the expected return from the units, both income and capital growth
which makes it sound like capital growth is also counted.

GP

Thanks for the info re deeds I will give kevin Munro's office a call to discuss and I will also talk to you Dale if you have some time.

The lead into the capital gains questions is excellent because that is a particular issue that is also bothering me. I had always thought that capital and income streams were treated independently in the HDT. Where the income is distributed to the unit holders (because they hold special income units) and the capital distribution is discretionary. From my perspective this is the benefit of the HDT because the -ve gearing advantages are available through the income distribution side and CGT savings are available through the discretionary distribution.

Can anyone please confirm that the HDT does provide the flexibility described above without reducing the tax advantages by some proportion based on income vs CGT.

What is the impact of the tax issue queried by Great Pig, ie what will happen to the tax in a share portflio that is weghted heavily to growth and not income?

Thanks again to all you extremly knowledgable and helpful folks out there in the forum :D

not so lucky said:
Hi

Has anyone used a HDT deed from Kevin Munro (taxlegal.com.au)? I was wondering if they are suitable. I wouldn't know how to tell a good one from bad because I have read one from Chris Batten and it didn't make any sense at all, just legal gobbly-gook, so I will be totally at the mercy of the lawyer and accountant.
Trust deeds are meant to be flexible annd I have had recommendations that the Batten deed is good but how do I judge a trust deed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think Kevin's HDT deed is very good.

I've only briefly perused one of Batten's - it was in old legalese...ie almost unintelligble (perhaps useful when arguing with the ATO :) ) not sure if he's updated his docs since he got all his online video star material going :)

I think NickM uses Chris Batten's docs, perhaps he can comment?

Cheers
N.

Hi Nigel,

Your comment:

"I've only briefly perused one of Batten's - it was in old legalese...ie almost unintelligble (perhaps useful when arguing with the ATO :) ) "

Interesting you should say that Nigel. I have just been reviewing a copy of Batten's Super Deed and even though it is a fraction of the size of a number of others I have seen it is still made difficult to read. Unfortunately there is a tendancy to string the entire contents of a paragraph together as a single sentence. By the time I get toward the end of a sentence I have forgotten what the first half was about. Some of the others I have seen are written in a more user friendly manner I have to say.

Out of curiously does anyone know if Online Super (www.onlinesuper.com.au) is associated with Kevin Munro's group? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it is but may be wrong. Getting Barbara Smith as their CEO was certainly a great result for them given her extremely high profile in the Superannuation industry.

Cheers - Gordon

GreatPig said:
Dale,
One thing I've wondered, does "income" here include capital gain? In other words, if the funds were used to buy investments that produced no income but possible capital gains (eg. shares that never pay dividends), would the interest still be deductible? In that scenario the gains may not be realised for years.

That discussion later says:

which makes it sound like capital growth is also counted.

GP

Hi

No, they are treated as two different things. The income is "linked" to the unit holding, but, the capital gains is only distributed once the gain is actually crystalised on the sal eof the asset.

Then, the CG can be distributed at the discretion of the trustee and not necessarily to the unit holder.

Dale

DaleGG said:
No, they are treated as two different things. The income is "linked" to the unit holding
So are you saying that if money was borrowed to buy units in an HDT where the trust only purchased investments with capital gain but no income, the interest would not be deductible?

GP

Dale,
Thank you so much for that ruling. I am still concerned that if the property remains negatively geared through the entire period of ownership and the discretionary beneficaries receive the capital growth the ATO will use Fletchers case to argue that there is another purpose of the borrowing not just to produce income for the borrower. Therefore only allow a deduction for the interest up to the amount of income received. The subjective purpose/motive being in part to provide capital gains to the discretionary beneficiaries. Can we rely on the ATO to only look at one year at a time or to use the eventual outcome to argue a split motive in previous years?

Julia Hartman
[email protected]
www.bantacs.com.au

GreatPig said:
So are you saying that if money was borrowed to buy units in an HDT where the trust only purchased investments with capital gain but no income, the interest would not be deductible?

GP

HI

No, I was not saying that. :)

In tax law, for a tax deduction to be claimed there must be a nexus (link is an easier word to follow) between the cost and the income that it relates to.

All investment properties will generate an income before costs. How much net income will then depend upon the costs incurred in holding that property. And, when we remember that the interest and borrowing costs are claimed by the individual and not the trust then it is a lot easier for a net income rather than a net loss to arise.

This will be even more so as the depreciation is absorbed in the earlier years of ownership.

So, I would expect a positive income to be distributed to the unit holder in the short to medium term.

The growth in the value of the property will merely add weight to the investment argument. In my simple mind, investors are looking for two forms of value from their properties - income and growth. Whereas, non investors might just look for tax benefits.

This is just a long winded way of saying that I believe that the interest will be tax deductible to the individual regardless of whether the trust shows an income gain or loss.

Dale

Hi Julia

No problems at all.

I understand your concern and respect it greatly. The answer I just provided to GP might help a little (well, I hope it does at least!) in that I do expect the trust to have a positive income within a couple of years simply because there is no borrowing costs or interest deductions to offset against the income, and, because depreciation drops each year using the DV method.

Certainly this is what I am seeing in the returns that we do, anyway.

As you know, there are no guarantees with the tax office and how they think, so due diligence is always important as is building a case to defend any position - even before it is requested or needed.

As part of that case, I like to see the mindset of the investor explain their intentions in buying the investment such as:

to generate an income for retirement purposes;
to provide an income to increase their borrowing capacity for future investments;

Cheers

Dale

julia said:
Dale,
Thank you so much for that ruling. I am still concerned that if the property remains negatively geared through the entire period of ownership and the discretionary beneficaries receive the capital growth the ATO will use Fletchers case to argue that there is another purpose of the borrowing not just to produce income for the borrower. Therefore only allow a deduction for the interest up to the amount of income received. The subjective purpose/motive being in part to provide capital gains to the discretionary beneficiaries. Can we rely on the ATO to only look at one year at a time or to use the eventual outcome to argue a split motive in previous years?

Julia Hartman
[email protected]
www.bantacs.com.au

Dale,

Thanks again.

DaleGG said:
All investment properties will generate an income before costs
While I know this is a property forum :), I was more thinking of the trust holding just a portfolio of growth shares that never pay dividends (or at least never have yet and haven't given any indication that they ever will).

It seems to me that in that scenario the unit purchaser would have no expectation of ever receiving any return via those units, since the capital gain would be distributed elsewhere.

And if that might make it hard for the unit purchaser to claim interest deductions, what about a more realistic case where the portfolio was a mixture of shares with some paying dividends and some not (which is what I have at the moment, although without any borrowings)? Would interest deductions only be allowed for the percentage of the portfolio that was expected to pay dividends?

GP

Hi

Gee, that makes it tough! In theory, yes, if the possibility of receiving an income from the shares is quite low it could be difficult to argue that the interest relates to the expected income from the investment in the HDT.

Dale

Are setup costs deductable?

Great discussion on claims.

Are the HDT setup costs (which depending on who does the job can be up to $3000) tax deductable, or go on the cost base of the property?

Regards

Hi Dave

Technically no, but, I guess it depends upon the wording of the invoice.

Dale
Gladstone42 said:
Great discussion on claims.

Are the HDT setup costs (which depending on who does the job can be up to $3000) tax deductable, or go on the cost base of the property?

Regards

Set up costs of a business structure are claimable over 5 years, however teh set up of a trust . trustee company are treated as an investment vehicle and i will try and find the ID that states that these set up costs are not deductible at all. If the invoice is also for tax advice etc then a deduction may be claimed.

I havent seen Kevins Deeds for a while but i have found Battens deeds to fit the bill of what most of my clients are trying to achieve.
I have heard that Online Super is Kevin Munro's brain child and he is involved somewhere along the line.

Most trusts will generate a profit in year 2 if thay havent done so in year 1, thus i see no problem in the tax deductibility of the interest claim.

HAve I missed anything ?

Have fun
NickM

Back